E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Debating on switching to cobb access port from Procede v5 rev 2.5

09-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
ws6ickk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Debating on switching to cobb access port from Procede v5 rev 2.5

Hey guys I'm new to the tuning part of the n54 community . I now have a Procede v5 Rev 2.5 about 2 months ago . I ran it stock at the time with just an intake and what ever new maps they send it out with now . I did the usaul 3rd gear pulls etc and car felt likethesame basicly I was on map 2 . So I ran it like that for a while I figured the auto tuning would fix and adjust ran it for like 500 mileswith several pulls . And stillfelt thesame. Then I convinced my self I need an fmicand cp . So I bought them put em on reset adaptations etc . And car felt a Tad bit better but that's about it then I ran that for 250 miles thinking auto tine would adjust still felt thesame. So then I was like ok ill hook up the Procede and changemy maps. Cause from what ivread somemaps are hit or misses with the car . So after I researched I decied to run the 12-17 maps with autotune . The one ets used for there car since I was running there ets 5in fmic and cp w/tial bov. I loaded the firmware and map . Now then I felt a huge difference in preformace I was really surprised . But it doesn't seem like the car is a 360 hp 370tq car . Cause my basicly stock 00 ls1ws6 feels stronger . I tried messing with the user parameters etc. Stillfelt thesame. I was thinking of switching to Cobb since it seems it would be easyer cause some maps are already made for what u have etc . Wanted to hear form the ppl with experience switching form Procede to Cobb . Thanksin advanced .
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Did you try reloading the maps? Maybe something didn't take...

I went from Procede to COBB.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Well COBB has a 30 day return, so you could always just try it out, and if you don't like it, no loss. That being said, I don't think you're going to feel a significant difference, especially with an OTS map and CA91. To get the most out of it, you'll need to tweak it with ATR or get it pro-tuned, but our gas still sucks. I hit 360hp/420tq with a 290/315 baseline using a custom tune, but we only hit 345/405 with the OTS Stage2+Sport map. You said your car doesn't "seem like 360hp/370tq", but I'm assuming that's just speculation and you don't have actual numbers?

You could also consider adding meth for that price, or E85 but I don't think you have any near you. Have you considered getting some logs and sharing them for reviewing?

I switched from COBB to Procede, but added E85 during the process.
      09-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

just remember if you have Rev2.5 silver box that its vin locked... so resell value is basically pretty bad....
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ickk
Hey guys I'm new to the tuning part of the n54 community . I now have a Procede v5 Rev 2.5 about 2 months ago . I ran it stock at the time with just an intake and what ever new maps they send it out with now . I did the usaul 3rd gear pulls etc and car felt likethesame basicly I was on map 2 . So I ran it like that for a while I figured the auto tuning would fix and adjust ran it for like 500 mileswith several pulls . And stillfelt thesame. Then I convinced my self I need an fmicand cp . So I bought them put em on reset adaptations etc . And car felt a Tad bit better but that's about it then I ran that for 250 miles thinking auto tine would adjust still felt thesame. So then I was like ok ill hook up the Procede and changemy maps. Cause from what ivread somemaps are hit or misses with the car . So after I researched I decied to run the 12-17 maps with autotune . The one ets used for there car since I was running there ets 5in fmic and cp w/tial bov. I loaded the firmware and map . Now then I felt a huge difference in preformace I was really surprised . But it doesn't seem like the car is a 360 hp 370tq car . Cause my basicly stock 00 ls1ws6 feels stronger . I tried messing with the user parameters etc. Stillfelt thesame. I was thinking of switching to Cobb since it seems it would be easyer cause some maps are already made for what u have etc . Wanted to hear form the ppl with experience switching form Procede to Cobb . Thanksin advanced .
Go e85 and you will not doubt procede ever again
      09-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

You will not gain any more power switching from one tune to another, provided that you run the tunes at the best of their capabilities for your car. You can however gain more safety, more control, a different set of features.

I am happy since switching to Cobb (not from Procede) because it has infinite tweaking capabilities via the ATR software. But if you just want to install a default map and feel your car faster, I don't think it will provide that.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
ws6ickk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Did you try reloading the maps? Maybe something didn't take...

I went from Procede to COBB.
Yes sir I reload the map
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
ws6ickk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Well COBB has a 30 day return, so you could always just try it out, and if you don't like it, no loss. That being said, I don't think you're going to feel a significant difference, especially with an OTS map and CA91. To get the most out of it, you'll need to tweak it with ATR or get it pro-tuned, but our gas still sucks. I hit 360hp/420tq with a 290/315 baseline using a custom tune, but we only hit 345/405 with the OTS Stage2+Sport map. You said your car doesn't "seem like 360hp/370tq", but I'm assuming that's just speculation and you don't have actual numbers?

You could also consider adding meth for that price, or E85 but I don't think you have any near you. Have you considered getting some logs and sharing them for reviewing?

I switched from COBB to Procede, but added E85 during the process.
Well I have no numbers but when I dyno'ed my ws6 it was 335hp@353tq. But the 335i feels nothing like that. Yes we do have e85 over here at Kroger's . Well when I log what's should I be looking at so I can post it .
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
ws6ickk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
just remember if you have Rev2.5 silver box that its vin locked... so resell value is basically pretty bad....
I have the se model one but i was just pointing out the hardware .
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Keep the Procede
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

It doesn't make sense to switch because of a possibly inaccurate butt dyno. I'd you are concerned that your car may not be running as strong ad it could post some logs and let us help you through the process of figuring what may or may not be wrong. I'd hate for you to spend hundreds only to find out that your butt dyno is not as sensitive as you thought it was.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
ws6ickk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
It doesn't make sense to switch because of a possibly inaccurate butt dyno. I'd you are concerned that your car may not be running as strong ad it could post some logs and let us help you through the process of figuring what may or may not be wrong. I'd hate for you to spend hundreds only to find out that your butt dyno is not as sensitive as you thought it was.
Ok I will log . But what do I log? So I can make sure y'all see what y'all wanna see . I'm a noon to logging and using the user settings . Want me to take a pic of that as well . And i kbow I have to have the Procede connected so it can show the right setting . Iv seen to many ppl with just opening the user software and thinking the user settings are what programed in there car without having the Procede connected.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
I made the switch to COBB for about a week, now I am back to my PROcede and I have never looked back.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
BmwECY
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw

i also think you'd do best to keep the procede. for off-the-shelf tunes, the procede really is the most responsive and powerful. i've tried all the mainstream tuning solutions. you'll likely be disappointed in the cobb, after you've run the procede.

here's what i would recommend:

-upload the 5-23 procede aggressive firmware
-load the stage 2 maps
-run those for a while, to let the car adapt. it doesn't get much better than the procede aggressive maps.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

You'll have to get protuned with the Cobb to have a custom map that will eek out every bit of power for your mods, that's what it sounds like you want. I've switched to Cobb and love it. Ptf can help you with a protune

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You may need some maintenance - intake cleaning, plugs, check air filters. Reset adaptations and try again. I am running the 5-23 aggressive Stage 1 map on 93 octane with PWM meth, and it's very fast everywhere throughout the rev range. The intake carbon buildup was severe in my car after 47k miles, so you definitely want to make sure yours is clean.

You are stuck with 91 octane, so you may have to upload the Stage 0 5-23 aggressive map. Only run Map 2 with race gas! If you run Map 2 without enough octane or without meth, the engine will probably run like crap or have to pull timing so much that it will be worse than running the proper map.
      09-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ickk View Post
Have you considered the Renntech tune? Since you already have the FMIC you should be good to go.

From what i get from your thread, you don't want to be screwing around with maps you just want to have more power. I am going renntech, i recommend the same to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ickk View Post
Ok I will log . But what do I log? So I can make sure y'all see what y'all wanna see . I'm a noon to logging and using the user settings . Want me to take a pic of that as well . And i kbow I have to have the Procede connected so it can show the right setting . Iv seen to many ppl with just opening the user software and thinking the user settings are what programed in there car without having the Procede connected.
Add the following variables to your logged channels in the Channel setup in the procede software:

Throttle
Inlet Air Temp
Can act Ign Adv
Can Fuel trims 1&2
Can AFR banks 1&2
(boost is automatically logged)

Then log a pull from the top of 2nd gear rd gear to bottom of 4th gear. We are interested in the logs as they relate to 3rd gear. Take a screen shot and post it here.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I personally like COBB's approach to tuning, but you're not going to see much of a difference by switching. Actually you will more that likely drop in power by switching to the COBB if your PROcede is setup correctly.

Do yourself a favor and download the latest aggressive e85 tune and load the firmware and map. Follow the readme step by step. In map 0, drive over and put 8 gal of e85 in your car then top it off with premium. Then drive around a bit in map 0 so the car has a chance to clear out the fuel lines and your ethanol content has a chance to flow through the fuel system. Set your car to map 1 and go out and do a few 3rd gear pulls to allow your car to adapt. Make sure you log and keep an eye on your tims and afr readings. If you're not hitting 34 trim and your afr's are 12.5 to 13.5 through the pull, up your start boost by adding 10 to the value in map 1. Keep an eye on your logs and if your still not hitting 34 trims, up your start boost again. If you hit 34 trim while in the pull, then kick your OL up to 100 and check your logs again. It should be stable at that point and your butt dyno should be very happy. You may see +34 after shifts as your fuel rail drops in pressure after the shift and then is hit hard with fuel demand as you keep in the throttle, if that's the case, you may want to drop your start boost if you're not comfortable with making changes to your OL table. As you get more comfortable with tuning the PROcede to include more mods or you want to make over 400 RWHP, you may want to send your DME and have it flashed. Once flashed you won't have the same issues with fuel trims running e85 then you can up your boost to 19 psi with e85.

If you need any assistance, let me know. You can also contact Vishnu if you have any questions. For e85 tuning questions, BrianMN is the man... He's been very helpful in the past and really a great guy to work with. He's what you would call a ProTuner for PROcede... Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I agree with most people hear saying you wont get a difference in power. With off the shelf tuning, there is no secret to making power, boost is boost, and ignition is ignition. (fuel is fuel too but this car is less sensitive on pump gas to fuel).

Keeping that in mind whether it be X tune or B tune the car will make very similar power.

If I was the thread starter I would load up the latest firmware and maps, and go to stage 1. Do some logs and see how they look.

I would have to say I'm not an expert at analyzing the power my car puts down just by driving it. If you really want to know if your car is making XXX power, you must put it on a dyno. ETS was on 92 octane also with their modifications. Not a landslide difference but a difference nonetheless. One should always remember to never compare their care to someone else, especially in different parts of the country.

James is right, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
tmaung
CCA Member#: 439255
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
You may need some maintenance - intake cleaning, plugs, check air filters. Reset adaptations and try again. I am running the 5-23 aggressive Stage 1 map on 93 octane with PWM meth, and it's very fast everywhere throughout the rev range. The intake carbon buildup was severe in my car after 47k miles, so you definitely want to make sure yours is clean.

You are stuck with 91 octane, so you may have to upload the Stage 0 5-23 aggressive map. Only run Map 2 with race gas! If you run Map 2 without enough octane or without meth, the engine will probably run like crap or have to pull timing so much that it will be worse than running the proper map.
FOLLOW THIS! There is no latest maps with AutoTune so DO NOT RUN MAP 2. I did that and the car felt like crap. I reset everything and ran map 1 and everything is super aggressive!
      09-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
ws6ickk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post

Ok my world just went into a spin lol when I upload the 12-17 maps they didn't have stage 0 or 1 or 2 it just had it for a 6at and 6at upgraded turbos so since I didn't have upgraded turbos I went with 6at . If some one wouldn't mind could they send me a link to the 5-23 maps and firmware . As for plugs filter iv changed those and i oiled the filter about a month ago. The carbon cleaning in scheduled with in the next couple weeks i have 72k on the it now . Thanks for all the great info guys keep it coming . So should I load those maps first then do logs ?
Appreciate 0