E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 True dual Exhaust and add. power adders

01-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
SR2007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 328i

N52 True dual Exhaust and add. power adders

I'm looking heavily into the performance aspect of my 07 E92 328i. I know not much to gain, but hey it couldn't hurt. One of my biggest endeavors is I'm trying to go with a True Dual Remus Quad Exhaust Set Up. I'm assuming that i would have to get a custom y pipe made from the Cat....Right?? is there room for the right side muffler?? Any info or pics would be most appriciated before I pull the trigger. In addition, I'm about to purchase the AFE Stage 2 KAI and BMS power box to help compliment the exhaust. What type of gain might i see? And lastly who do you guys reccomend for a set of headers? I want the most aggressive sound i can pull out while still being legal. Drone is no concern for I'm already half deaf. lol Any Info?????????????
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

all 325/328/330s have a dual exhaust from the headers back to just before the muffler, where the 2 pipes merge into one. You can retrofit the 335i dual exhaust setup on your car if you are willing to remove the rear storage tray in the trunk.

do a search, you should find what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
SR2007
Captain
Rep

What the hell do i use to place the hole once i drop that tub in the trunk out?? Do they make a cover of some sort?
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

if you are truly interested in running a dual exhaust like the 335i pm longtran bc he just did a vanguard exhaust on an e92 328i recently.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
SR2007
Captain
Rep

I saw that and great work as always, I swear I need to move to cali.... but then i would be broke as hell lol
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
dont waste your money, there is nothing to gain from dual exhaust except it looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
SoCal BimMn'
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: LCI AW F80 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
dont waste your money, there is nothing to gain from dual exhaust except it looks cool.
+1

I considered doing this sometime ago but I keep going back and forth about the idea between performance over looks and I think after a lot of thinking if I truly want power gains then I would just stick with the BMW PE or something similar to it. Another reason being after doing my own research there hasn't been anybody around or anywhere I've seen pulling better numbers with a custom dual exhaust. But to answer your question about the Remus quad exhaust it doesn't require anything more than for you to cut the same notch as the one on the leftside of your bumper on the rightside of your bumper if that makes sense. Hope this helps. Also if you do go with the Remus quad exhaust setup I suggest you delete the resonator too for a more aggressive sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

save your money on the afe and just get some scoops and a K&N drop in filter and call it a day. unless you want the sound... its not worth the money.

also, instead of the bms powerbox, go with a legit tune such as AA. you will get a lot more power. I am taking my pbx out son and going with AA.
      01-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
the guy wants to do what the guy wants to do... leave him be!

i believe purchasing the shielding from the 335i should solve part of the problem which will allow you to run the duals... i think this has been discussed before but you'd have to search... i'm pretty sure you'd lose the storage compartment as well but i'm not too sure about that

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2007 View Post
What the hell do i use to place the hole once i drop that tub in the trunk out?? Do they make a cover of some sort?
If you want to got this route, you will need to source/purchase and retrofit the following items from a 335:

- 335 trunk tray.
(It is shallower than the 328 version and will make room underneath for a true dual setup)
- 335 exhaust heat shield. (It will protect the rear interior components from added heat and act as a cabin sound barrier)
- 335 exhaust hanger for the passenger side

You will probably need to retrofit a bracket to move your existing vacuum canister in order to create clearance

Do you plan on adding a 335 rear bumper or 335 lci diffuser or cut your existing bumper to make a new exhaust outlet?

I would PM Longtran and see if he has any additional pointers.

Let us know how it pans out.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
sexymexy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 jet black

Dude there is two ways to do it, the oem convertion ( I did that) and the cheap one. ( just pipes to get the dual exsaust.) I can tell from personal experience that oem is time consuming and expencive, but if you want the look and all parts to be OEM I strongly recomend you this route, on the other side, if youu like a more agressive look go after market, because for the same money you can give the car more unique and personal look. My two cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
SR2007
Captain
Rep

Wlew: I can't go with the AA tune for now because I'm still under warranty and don't want to deal with that hassle. Box is easy to remove. Certain parts of the warranty I'm willing to void and have done extensive research on the whole warranty stuff. Thanx for the info

SexyMexy: My exterior is almost complete, just researching which front bumper to finish off my project and upgrade suspension with. Already about 10k in exterior mods lol. But, I want everything to look as natural and professional as possible outside and underneath.

Digitalinkartist: Thanx alot bro, def very informative. Now time to research those part numbers!!!!! I PMed LT and still no reply so I'm waiting, so hopefully he'll get back to me soon, if anything I'll see if he could build me a kit and ship it to me. I do plan on upgrading my rear and in the search for a Duke Dynamics rear to run the Quad set up. if anything go with the 335i and diffuser like you mentioned. Def my car show peice and want everything to look as natural as possible. I currently have the CF Amuse trunk so def, have to make the rear more aggressive to compliment everything. Lastly, do you have any more info regarding that Vacuum canister??? what is that?????
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
superduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2007 View Post
Lastly, do you have any more info regarding that Vacuum canister??? what is that?????
It's not a vacuum canister. It's a vapor canister that collects gasoline vapors. There are several hoses and an a wiring harness to run a pump within. It's located exactly where the second muffler would go and mounted to the side of the storage well. If you install the 335 storage well, you'll have to relocate this canister. To make enough room you'll either have to splice in additional hoses/wiring or get the 335 hardware. Either way it's a bit of job.
      01-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty View Post
It's not a vacuum canister. It's a vapor canister that collects gasoline vapors. There are several hoses and an a wiring harness to run a pump within. It's located exactly where the second muffler would go and mounted to the side of the storage well. If you install the 335 storage well, you'll have to relocate this canister. To make enough room you'll either have to splice in additional hoses/wiring or get the 335 hardware. Either way it's a bit of job.
That.

I am not certain, but I read somewhere that some newer cars have a small wired bundle (attached to the canister wire) that can be opened to accommodate the additional slack required
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
SR2007
Captain
Rep

bump
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep

I Would recommend speaking to AA about an optimized tune once you are certain of the power adders you plan on installing.

In regard to Intake: The euro airbox conversion + K&N cone seems to be best bang for your buck and functions/sounds almost identically to the PE intake at a fraction of the price.

A 3 stage 330/3.0si intake manifold conversion should also provide better tq and optimize high rpm airflow.

Headers are a toss-up. Some tuners (like Turner) say the stock manifold primary cats are the main area of restriction. welding in a proper set of primary performance cats or primary cat delete should free up the restriction.
If you want to go affordable headers then MMW headers are a great buy. Although the install seems to be a minor PITA. You will need an O2 sim with this route. Depending on your locale, emissions will most likely be a problem.
If you want to go bigtime then Supersprint makes a nice set of SS ones but they are costly and conclusive dyno gains are yet to be proven. (O2 sims will also be required)

You may also want to consider a set of scoops (although inconclusive in the gains dept. the theory seems to be sound and they are cheap enough)

Last but not least, you should certainly consider shorter gears if you are a 6 speed manual. This will give you a nice boost in Tq that will make the car seems heaps faster off the line and on the roll.

Aside from these, performance adders are limited at this point. Although craven is working on a soon to be released Centrifugal supercharger unit
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #17
SR2007
Captain
Rep

Digital: Excellent write up. Def lots of info to keep in mind. I might have to wait to get a real tune till my warranty expires. Just renewed a little while ago. For now I'll just have to settle for the power box.

The manifold is something to consider. Have to def. look into that.

As for the intake: where can i buy the euro box? whats so unique about it?

I have already installed the BMW performance short shifter in addition to the RPI intake scoops

When that supercharger gets released, I'll be one of the first in line.
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
Robben@ltbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Space Grey

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Here's a 328 to 335 conversion we did. yes you do need to remove storage and heat shield.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=vanguard
Appreciate 0