E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > 125 quid for Gtechniq exo... just bought some

06-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

125 quid for Gtechniq exo... just bought some

will post the pics when it's applied.

Not straightforward to apply as in it needs to be a hot day for it to cure & needs "panel wipe" before application but it looks amazing. Does wheels & glass too so not that bad overall & there's plenty to go on my van & car 3 times over.

Fed up of re waxing with stuff like dodo etc & want something that will last & last.

http://gtechniq.com/shop/hidden/exo/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I think pics are required of this!

How long does it last and how does the finish compare to the normal detailing products such as dodo etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Its supposed to last 2 years but it could be as much as 5 (I may have read somewhere) but don't mind if it lasts just a year

Just want something that will keep the car clean, make it easier to clean to prevent swirls etc & last & never tried a sealant before & have to say was pretty oblivious about them but have been doing some research.

Whether its just hype or not but some professional detailers were blown away by this stuff so I'm sure I will be well chuffed.

Got a porter cable DA polisher & my car is relatively swirl free plus I had the bonnet & bumper resprayed last year so this should be the icing on the cake...

Last edited by jimmylad; 06-26-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Sounds good.

Do they do a trial size lol? Big enough to do one car once?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

If its anything like the c1 it will be a top product, 9 months in and I've still not waxed once (and I'm proper anal lol). Waters still beading nicely, the only exception being the three panels where shitner polished out some scratches there valet numpty blessed my car with, not to worry though, the holograms there special needs 'detailer' left are just as annoying as the scratches, will redetail next year and avoid sytners like it was the GU clinic
(sorry, think I got carried away with a rant there lol)
      06-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Look forward to hearing your results. I also have C1 applied all over on all of my cars, its wonderful stuff. Be interested to know if Exo can go over C1 and what the improvement would be......
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Over the rainbow detailing center in PArk Royal are an authorised G-Techniq dealer so if you have any questions pop in and speak to the boss - Afif.

He's a good friend of mine from way back in highschool and his place is top top notch

Link: http://forum.evotechnik.net/showthre...Afifs-place%29 or give him a call: 07590 274 002

Another link:

http://www.m3torque.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3415

Last edited by MEGA; 06-26-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

EXO can go on top of C1.

I applied yesterday. Panels were just over 20C it seemed to evaporate quick enough so I guess they were warm enough.
Beading in the rain today is excellent, though I didnt quite get the 48hours rain free, so will be interesting to see the Longevity.

Immediate thoughts are that it is glossier than C1, but the thing about C1 was always the durability. I hadnt washed the car for ages, yet the rain was keeping it relatively clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

Photos!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

spent 10 hours today prepping the front end in anticipation of the exo arriving & some nice weather to apply it.

Wet sanded the bonnet, bumper & wings with p3000 using the DA porter cable ( first time ever attempt at wet sanding) & well chuffed with results so far. Will give it a final fine finish polish on the day the exo gets applied which hopefully wont be too long.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Had the exo on about a week and the car is looking very clean & shiny still. There is a very light sort of film of dirt in places like the bottom of the sills and bottom of the rear bumper (always the worst places for dirt to cling to on the coupe) if you look very close but considering the bad weather Im very happy. I think all this rain is actually washing it for me. On a daily basis at the mo . . .

I think a jet wash alone will clean it without the need for any foam or shampoo. I did the cyba tips with it and they are still looking good. Before the dirt ( talkin about the outside here, not the internal part) would sort of bake itself on but now it just wipes straight off to a shiny tip with minimal effort. The dirt just can't get a grip anywhere.

If car stays like this for a year I will be well happy and swirls should be kept to a minimum as grit just doesn't take hold.

Did the glass, lights & the external trims with it as well as all round the door jambs, boot & bonnet internal paintwork too.

Easy to apply. Very easy. Do a small section at a time but it dries very quick on dark paintwork so you can't see where you have been sometimes. If you do too much in direct sun it will seem to harden quickly and take some buffing off.

Think I will miss waxing the car every couple of months though.

Got enough to last me years as I reckon I only used about a fifth of it if that but I will top up before winter & after every year regardless

Biggest problem was getting a warm enough day without rain for 2 days to apply it.

Only time will tell if this stuff was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
AndyReed
Rep

Thanks for your post.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Had to have a go at washing my car even though it wasn't that dirty and it is so so easy to wash. Almost a waterless wash as you can't get water or foam to stay on the car as it just runs straight off. Video, hopefully, below

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

interesting....

i had a detailer correct my paint and then apply 2 layers of c1 and a layer of exo. My car certainly didn't bead like yours does!! thing is, after applying my exo he said nothing about it not getting wet for 2 days, it rained within an hour of picking it up ffs. I feel abit done over. I'm guessing i've just got my c1 layers left now. how many coats of exo has yours got on it?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #16
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
interesting....

i had a detailer correct my paint and then apply 2 layers of c1 and a layer of exo. My car certainly didn't bead like yours does!! thing is, after applying my exo he said nothing about it not getting wet for 2 days, it rained within an hour of picking it up ffs. I feel abit done over. I'm guessing i've just got my c1 layers left now. how many coats of exo has yours got on it?
From all the reading I have done it should be applied to paintwork when it is a minimum of 20 degrees ( the videos I saw showed a bloke with a laser thermometer checking each panel before applying) which has been a nightmare of late due to the weather. I had the stuff about 2 weeks before conditions were right for me and having the time to apply it.

Because it is supposed to last so long I wanted to polish the swirls etc as the paintwork will be sealed for up to two years ( hopefully) so preperation was important but having polished it the car got soaked daily with all the rain & had to be cleaned off and wiped down in anticipation of applying the Exo. This must have happened for a solid week and really pissed me off preparing the car only for it not to be hot enough or rain was likely. In the end I got my waterproof caravan cover to put over the car when ready for an application of Exo to keep it dry & clean. God knows what the neighbours were thinking. . .

Managed to get a nice day last weekend and got about 3 coats on with the help of me, the mrs. & the lad all helping and covered back over all weekend while it cures which is supposed to take 48 hours & should remain dry so I met all that criteria.

Was yours applied at 20 plus degrees per panel ? You know it didn't stay dry so that's one condition not met. The c1 is supposed to be long lasting and can be topped off with exo but I just have Exo and nothing else. Whether yours is still on I couldn't say but the guy should have know about it getting wet etc. tbh.

Mine does bead very well but to be fair that hose pipe test they use works on most freshly waxed / sealed paint work as the momentum of the water helps it run off but in saying that it is the best stuff I have had on my car providing it stays like this for at least 6 months plus although I haven't tried that many products.

My mrs. went to put the bin out the other day & was just staring at the rain running off the bonnet like little snakes.

It is brilliant stuff but a total pain in the arse without perfect conditions to apply it and cos it was so expensive I wanted to be sure I did it right and hopefully I have.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep

I would have expected the throw of the PC to leave pig tails when wet sanding. Great that you have had good experience as I was looking for something to cover a wider area than the 3" Air DA I have.

Regarding the EXO and C1, both are meant to have a clear 24hours at least before getting wet. In reality, I have coated many of my vehicles over the years with C1 and some have got wet within minutes of application. The film has never been compromised. My Coat of Exo got wet within hours of application so I am waiting to see whether its had any impact. My view is that the layer is so thin, it cures almost instantly. If it hadnt cured, it would get dust and other microscopic particles embedded in it even when driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

i've just washed my car and doing what you did on ur vid I do get 90% of the same result so its not too bad. its not as good on my bonnet as the vids on the net. i still need to pat dry after rinsing her clean.

With 3 coats of exo it will bead better than 2 c1 and 1 exo.

You got ur missis to help!! you've got a keeper there bud
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
i've just washed my car and doing what you did on ur vid I do get 90% of the same result so its not too bad. its not as good on my bonnet as the vids on the net. i still need to pat dry after rinsing her clean.

With 3 coats of exo it will bead better than 2 c1 and 1 exo.

You got ur missis to help!! you've got a keeper there bud
Beading won't be altered by the number of coats, more coats = more longevity.
I've never used more than 1 coat of C1 on anything. IMHO it simply doesnt need it. The time required between coats to actually "build" the film would be at least 48 hours. Any sooner and applying the 2nd coat is compromising the first due to the solvents used.
Appreciate 0