E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

09-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #1233
tpabimmer
newbie to the BMW WORLD !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

good day !!! have been reading a gazillion posts .... and im sure that i have read the answer at least that many times ... im picking up my first BMW this friday ... a 07 328i ... and its "sapphire black" .... i would say that im a "regualar" driver ... work .. commute ... evenings out ... not a "showing" kinda person ... although i do wish to step up the look of the new ride .... have read many pros and cons about this color ... more pros than cons ... the condition of the car is better than average ... but i want to take it to the next level ... my experience in taking it to this level .???? well ...not much past dumping out the buckets .... after the wash !! might you point me in the right direction ??? threads i could read about this color ... ??? your thoughts ???? i live in florida ... were coming out of the rainy season ... it wont be so deadly hot anymore .... thx
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #1234
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabimmer View Post
good day !!! have been reading a gazillion posts .... and im sure that i have read the answer at least that many times ... im picking up my first BMW this friday ... a 07 328i ... and its "sapphire black" .... i would say that im a "regualar" driver ... work .. commute ... evenings out ... not a "showing" kinda person ... although i do wish to step up the look of the new ride .... have read many pros and cons about this color ... more pros than cons ... the condition of the car is better than average ... but i want to take it to the next level ... my experience in taking it to this level .???? well ...not much past dumping out the buckets .... after the wash !! might you point me in the right direction ??? threads i could read about this color ... ??? your thoughts ???? i live in florida ... were coming out of the rainy season ... it wont be so deadly hot anymore .... thx
Congrats on the BMW pick up. Black can look amazing when properly detailed, but it can also be an eye sore if there are tons of swirls in the paint.

The first thing you'll want to do is invest in quality washing and drying products and learn the proper washing and drying techniques. Swirls and other imperfections typically occur due to improper washing and drying techniques or using dirty or ineffective equipment. A good starting point for you would be this wash kit paired up with a couple of 5 gallon buckets if you don't already have them.

If you want to ease into detailing without investing in a buffer to remove swirls but still want to add more depth and gloss than you currently have, I'd recommend going a glaze then topping it with a sealant. This is easy as applying both products thinly and removing them with some quality microfiber towels. I'd suggest going with Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze then topping that coat with some Blackfire Wet Diamond.

That would cover your paint, beyond that, you'll want to pick up some stuff for your glass, wheels and tires, and interior. Some of my go-to products for those steps are...
Chemical Guys Window Clean
Optimum Protectant Plus (cleans and protects vinyl, rubber, leather and plastic surfaces)
Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner (great degreaser and works outstanding on cleaning carpets, tires, wheel wells, engine bays and virtually any other stained surface when diluted properly)
Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright Gel

That should be a start for you. If you have any other questions or would like any other suggestions for specific areas of your car, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #1235
Alpine328
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Sounds like you already took some good steps on making the best of a bad situation. The only other thing you could do down the road if the milk turns sour and you begin to get odors is to use/rent a carpet extractor. I think you'll probably be fine if you simply give it another go with the cleaner and perhaps some hot water and vacuum (which can essentially simulate what an extractor will do to some extent). I'd just wait it out and see if anything happens. If you want to help prevent some odors from forming you can put a plate of baking soda near the spill and that can help absorb some of the odors. Just make sure you remove it when you're ready to drive so it doesn't go all over the place.

Hope this helps.
UPDATE: The sour milk smell does EXIST! Looks like it showed up. Took your advice...called a local carpet cleaner. He doesn't usually work on cars, but said he'd like to use a product called MICROBAN. Looks like it's an antimocrobial and the thought is that the sour smell is caused my the milk and the subsequent bacteria growing from the spill.

Thought: Kill the bacteria...kill the smell. There's no stain. I took care of that. Everything's fine until the car is shut up in the sun.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #1236
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328 View Post
UPDATE: The sour milk smell does EXIST! Looks like it showed up. Took your advice...called a local carpet cleaner. He doesn't usually work on cars, but said he'd like to use a product called MICROBAN. Looks like it's an antimocrobial and the thought is that the sour smell is caused my the milk and the subsequent bacteria growing from the spill.

Thought: Kill the bacteria...kill the smell. There's no stain. I took care of that. Everything's fine until the car is shut up in the sun.

What do you think?
You got it right, you need to kill the bacteria which is the source of the smell. I think the extractor should do the trick. Sounds like the guy knows what he is doing. I'd recommend removing the seats for thorough extraction under the seats if some got under there.

From there you can maintain with regular cleanings using something like Chemical Guys Fabric Clean which will help clean and deoderize.

Appreciate the update, keep us posted how the extracting goes.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #1237
tpabimmer
newbie to the BMW WORLD !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Quote:
Congrats on the BMW pick up. Black can look amazing when properly detailed, but it can also be an eye sore if there are tons of swirls in the paint.

The first thing you'll want to do is invest in quality washing and drying products and learn the proper washing and drying techniques. Swirls and other imperfections typically occur due to improper washing and drying techniques or using dirty or ineffective equipment. A good starting point for you would be this wash kit paired up with a couple of 5 gallon buckets if you don't already have them.

If you want to ease into detailing without investing in a buffer to remove swirls but still want to add more depth and gloss than you currently have, I'd recommend going a glaze then topping it with a sealant. This is easy as applying both products thinly and removing them with some quality microfiber towels. I'd suggest going with Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze then topping that coat with some Blackfire Wet Diamond.

That would cover your paint, beyond that, you'll want to pick up some stuff for your glass, wheels and tires, and interior. Some of my go-to products for those steps are...
Chemical Guys Window Clean
Optimum Protectant Plus (cleans and protects vinyl, rubber, leather and plastic surfaces)
Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner (great degreaser and works outstanding on cleaning carpets, tires, wheel wells, engine bays and virtually any other stained surface when diluted properly)
Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright Gel

That should be a start for you. If you have any other questions or would like any other suggestions for specific areas of your car, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
thank you george !! appreciate your time and reply .... picking up the new family member tonite around 7 ... tomorrow we will begin the "stepping it up" process !!!! thx
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #1238
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabimmer View Post
thank you george !! appreciate your time and reply .... picking up the new family member tonite around 7 ... tomorrow we will begin the "stepping it up" process !!!! thx
Enjoy the car, let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #1239
BMW.FTW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i/Monaco Blue/Saddle

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
thanks for all the tips! i'm going to try out some ideas on my 328i monaco blue.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #1240
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.FTW View Post
thanks for all the tips! i'm going to try out some ideas on my 328i monaco blue.
Let us know if there's anything we can help with and keep us posted how things turn out. I love the look of Monaco blue when detailed properly, such a sharp color!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #1241
mr.e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

hey what can i use for my chrome window exterior trim?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #1242
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvasquez2428 View Post
hey what can i use for my chrome window exterior trim?
A good chemical polish is what I typically turn to. Something like Klasse All In One is a great option to remove oxidation and protect it with a sealant in one step.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #1243
Dickson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m3 | ZCP | mineral white

Quote:
A good chemical polish is what I typically turn to. Something like Klasse All In One is a great option to remove oxidation and protect it with a sealant in one step.
Could you be specific in how would you go about applying this to the exterior trim to remove the tarnishing? Do you need to tape around the trim? Do you need to use a machine or can you just use microfiber cloths? Do you just rub it in and then wash it off?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #1244
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltanh View Post
Could you be specific in how would you go about applying this to the exterior trim to remove the tarnishing? Do you need to tape around the trim? Do you need to use a machine or can you just use microfiber cloths? Do you just rub it in and then wash it off?

Thanks.
You don't really have to tape up around the trim because the chemical polish isn't he same as using an abrasive polish. You can apply it by hand and still get good results. Work it in with some elbow grease using a foam applicator (or something similar), then remove with a microfiber towel. This is only going to work if it's cloudy on the surface and you're removing oxidation. If you have scratches / swirls / etc. then it isn't going to improve the finish that way.

Hope this helps clear things up.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #1245
Dickson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m3 | ZCP | mineral white

Quote:
You don't really have to tape up around the trim because the chemical polish isn't he same as using an abrasive polish. You can apply it by hand and still get good results. Work it in with some elbow grease using a foam applicator (or something similar), then remove with a microfiber towel. This is only going to work if it's cloudy on the surface and you're removing oxidation. If you have scratches / swirls / etc. then it isn't going to improve the finish that way.

Hope this helps clear things up.
Thanks for your quick response. I just have the cloudyness on the surface of the trim that kind of looks like dried up water but will not come off with a standard wash. I'm going to order some Klasse AOI and see if it gets it clean.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #1246
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltanh View Post
Thanks for your quick response. I just have the cloudyness on the surface of the trim that kind of looks like dried up water but will not come off with a standard wash. I'm going to order some Klasse AOI and see if it gets it clean.

Thanks.
Sounds good, keep us posted how things turn out. Make sure you give it some elbow grease and a couple applications if needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #1247
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Hey DI,

I bought some Menzerna Super Intensive Polish for my E90, what pad should I be using to get rid of the spider marks with my Porter Cable? I have 3 pads, 1 blue, 1 white and 1 orange. I have purchased the Menzerna Super Finish polish to finish after using the SIP stuff. Is this a good combination? Or should I be using something else? I also have a small bottle of M205 from Meguiers.
I also noticed some corosion on my paint, like darken'ed spots which I cannot get out by washing. I noticed that if I use the clay bar with a bit more force I am able to get it out.

Please let me know what you think. I have a Titanium Silver, MY2007.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #1248
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
Hey DI,

I bought some Menzerna Super Intensive Polish for my E90, what pad should I be using to get rid of the spider marks with my Porter Cable? I have 3 pads, 1 blue, 1 white and 1 orange. I have purchased the Menzerna Super Finish polish to finish after using the SIP stuff. Is this a good combination? Or should I be using something else? I also have a small bottle of M205 from Meguiers.
I also noticed some corosion on my paint, like darken'ed spots which I cannot get out by washing. I noticed that if I use the clay bar with a bit more force I am able to get it out.

Please let me know what you think. I have a Titanium Silver, MY2007.
That's a pretty solid combination, definitely a classic go to used by many. I'd use the SIP with the orange pad and the Super Finish with the white pad. Or you could go with the M205 on the white pad and if you wanted to finish down even further, go Super Finish with the black. Certainly not necessary to do 3 steps, but it's an option.

Polishing should take care of those spots if claying was removing them with some effort, or simply continue to clay to remove them just use more lube and more passes rather than forcing it.

Hope this helps.

George
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #1249
bemap30
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Okay here's my situation.

I just bought a new 328i xdrive with black saphire metallic paint. The dealer asked me if i wanted a sealant, he said it would protect it for over a year. I didn't know anything about car detailing before i went on this forum, so i took it. It cost me 300$ for the sealant....obviously i got owned by them. Because not only it didn't last very long, but also i washed the car and i might have rub the a little bit too hard with the towel.
The result, swirl marks and angel hairs marks (which was a little bit of my fault since i never washed my car myself before). I brought it to someone i know who works in a carwash and he said that it was the clear coat that had marks on it.

Now i wanted to know, what should i do? I'm planning to wash my car (dawn or car shampoo?), claying it (because clearly they didn't do it before putting the sealant over, the car feels grindy). Then what? Waxing or polishing then waxing? Or simply wait 'til spring then doing the whole process?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #1250
bemap30
Canada
Rep

What's the biggest difference between a 200$ wax and a 20$ wax?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #1251
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemap30 View Post
What's the biggest difference between a 200$ wax and a 20$ wax?
The one absolute biggest difference is price.
You'll be hard pressed to tell the difference unless the vehicle is properly prepped. Even if properly prepped, you'll experience minor differences. This isn't all bad. A Rolex doesn't tell time better than a $100 dollar watch after all. Car people are passionate about their cars and often times don't mind paying a little more for an upscale product. Even a $200 wax is nothing compared to the cost of a car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #1252
bemap30
Canada
Rep

Great, that's what i wanted to hear! So which one do you suggest if i go to a local store? It's kind of hard to order stuff from US website. The stuff i can get at the Canadian tire is Meguiar, turtle wax, autoglym and mother's. Any recommandation?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #1253
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

^ The problem with over-the-counter waxes is that they're developed for over-the-counter types of people. These waxes can often times have cleaners in them (because most people don't clay their cars) or abrasives in them (because most people don't polish their cars). This is part of the reason they can stain trim, be harder to work with, receive no benefit in attempting to layer, and give "mmmeehh" results.

Higher dollar waxes most often are designed to be used on a well prepped vehicle. Their only goals are gloss and protection. Nothing else. Because they don't have abrasives, you can layer them (to a point), and are usually easier to work with than OTC products.

So please keep in mind that while the price is certainly a huge difference, waxes can certainly have other differences as well. Not all waxes are created equally, or created for the same type of use. I can't say how good many OTC waxes are because I don't use them. Being in Canada, you might want to try using a good sealant for the higher durability and better layering ability anyways with the Winter fast approaching. Sealants like Blackfire, PowerLock, JetSeal109, etc are all proven winners, and with a few layers on your paint - can potentially make it through the coming weather.
No OTC wax/sealant is likely to get you even close because of their formulation.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #1254
bemap30
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the explanation, couldn't be more clear.
Appreciate 0