E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > This is how u properly breakin a N54 engine

11-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #67
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno808 View Post
yeah thats it i have rich father hahahahaha not. I just work for it.

What makes u ppl think this is my father or parents got me a 335??? I have been working on cars a lot longer than u ppl have own your cars. I have a 500+hp&tq porsche. I have a 450hp 67 fastback mustang that have been built by me. I actually have track racing experience that you ppl can only dream of. So yeah i do know what i am talking about. It's just a video of a car being rev for 2 minutes at rev line. thats going to have no impact on the engine whats so ever.

Here is a question for you ppl that think they know it all. How do you breakin a racing engine on a track only car????????????
I cant speak for the rest of the forum, but form and execution gained you nothing but infamy....

I can assure you that in the 30yrs I have worked in the auto industry I can say I have built countless off-road application engines -- everything from 2 stroke Yamahas to big-block muscle car engines and your mis-application of racing information is startling.

An N54 was never designed with F1 in mind, nor any car ENGINEERED for passenger car operation. Comparing a single use engine that is fitted with parts that cost more than total cost of a well equipped 335 -- an engine that is torn down at the end of a race and goes through tech inspection is not slapped back together then and there to go out on the track again for a drive with the family.

I hate to say, but you remind me of a person that was seen driving a loaner car at "open day" at a local circle track -- he was spotted and low and behold, he will NEVER have to opportunity to do that again...

You may think its cool to do that to "the dealers" car... but what if -- just what if you saw a tech flogging your car all over town -- I can assure you -- you would be pissed off to high heaven .. So what make the dealers car DIFFERENT... ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #68
Priority 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Has anyone mentioned how hot that engine is in the picture...i've never seen mine go much over 250°
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #69
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

i came into this thread expecting discussion on hard break-in procedures vs softer methods suggested by the factory...instead, it's a bunch of people who would rather hate on the OP (granted, the way he presented this thread was poor), than figure out if there is any substance to this "madness".

...well, there is and there is a huge following behind the hard break-in methods for new engines.

slight tangent: you guys all know that bmw tests the engines for power before shipping them off to you, right? how do you figure they did that?

anyway, i HIGHLY encourage most of you to read up on the theories/reasons for hard break-in procedures before blindly dismissing it. here's a quick list of links i found by doing a simple google search on the topic:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323045 (looks like it was already discussed here once before)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #70
JakeN5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
i came into this thread expecting discussion on hard break-in procedures vs softer methods suggested by the factory...instead, it's a bunch of people who would rather hate on the OP (granted, the way he presented this thread was poor), than figure out if there is any substance to this "madness".

...well, there is and there is a huge following behind the hard break-in methods for new engines.

slight tangent: you guys all know that bmw tests the engines for power before shipping them off to you, right? how do you figure they did that?

anyway, i HIGHLY encourage most of you to read up on the theories/reasons for hard break-in procedures before blindly dismissing it. here's a quick list of links i found by doing a simple google search on the topic:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323045 (looks like it was already discussed here once before)
Because there is no such credible thing as a "hard break-in" procedure for a production passenger car. What is shown in the video is a demonstration of ... pure folly and an utter lack of regard for properties, be it a dealership's or OP's own. Whether BMW tests engines beforehand is irrelevant to what is on display here. I'm sure if they do, they don't test like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #71
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

I can attest to the "race engine break-in" being real and beneficial, however bouncing off the rev limiter under ~10% load like that is doing no good. If the OP was under 100% load, that would be putting max load-bearing on all internals, and would effectively 'stretch out' the engine.'

All race engines (in the motocross world) are heat cycled twice, then beat on as hard as possible. Unlike the OP's video, the engines are acually under load, not just bouncing off the limiter.

Has anyone ever had a car that was honestly babied for 20k miles, then the 1st time it gets WOT it grenades? I know of 3 vehicles that have blown primarily due to being 'babied' it's young life.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #72
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

This is not a hard break-in people... this is holding it at redline with ZERO LOAD.... no good can come of this... read that mototuneusa article you just posted... it doesn't say to do that at all... lol

... "The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. "

That is from your link. That is NOT what this thread is showing
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #73
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeN5 View Post
Because there is no such credible thing as a "hard break-in" procedure for a production passenger car. What is shown in the video is a demonstration of ... pure folly and an utter lack of regard for properties, be it a dealership's or OP's own. Whether BMW tests engines beforehand is irrelevant to what is on display here. I'm sure if they do, they don't test like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
I can attest to the "race engine break-in" being real and beneficial, however bouncing off the rev limiter under ~10% load like that is doing no good. If the OP was under 100% load, that would be putting max load-bearing on all internals, and would effectively 'stretch out' the engine.'

All race engines (in the motocross world) are heat cycled twice, then beat on as hard as possible. Unlike the OP's video, the engines are acually under load, not just bouncing off the limiter.

Has anyone ever had a car that was honestly babied for 20k miles, then the 1st time it gets WOT it grenades? I know of 3 vehicles that have blown primarily due to being 'babied' it's young life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
This is not a hard break-in people... this is holding it at redline with ZERO LOAD.... no good can come of this... read that mototuneusa article you just posted... it doesn't say to do that at all... lol

... "The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. "

That is from your link. That is NOT what this thread is showing
agreed on all counts. it just seemed like a lot of people were blindly saying that hard break-in procedures are bad. if i am mistaken with that thinking, then i'm ok with that. on the other hand, if i enlightened somebody on hard break-in procedures, then mission accomplished.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #74
6spdMSport
Private
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 135i Sport/USB/iPod

FAIL

BMS DCI /// JB3 2.0 /// AA Chargepipe & BOV /// AA FMIC /// VK Downpipes /// H&R Super-Sports /// SpunTek Custom Piping/// Miami Muffler Custom Cat-Back(Straight Pipe)/// BMS CDV/// Carbon Fiber Grills/// DEFI Boost Gauge
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #75
ak335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Useless
      11-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #76
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Video sounds like these guys

hehe hehe hehehehe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #77
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:

Because it has nothing to do with breaking the engine in. If you read the rest of his posts you'll see that he admits to just beating on a dealership loaner with utter disregard for someone else's property.
      12-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #78
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
clearly hes a fuck up because he never received proper parenting
      12-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #79
nemith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Because it has nothing to do with breaking the engine in. If you read the rest of his posts you'll see that he admits to just beating on a dealership loaner with utter disregard for someone else's property.
Exactly. Which means that those of us that drive loaners like they are our own are soon going to find ourselves in Mazdas and Kias for loaners cause they can't trust douchebags like this with a 50k car.

Thanks Jackass
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #80
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

This is how I broke in my Big Wheel when I was a kid. My legs were killing me after it though. So ever since then Ive gone through a slower break in style.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #81
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
This is why you should not buy a used 335i.
unless it was adult owned and driven ;T
      12-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #82
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by burberry View Post
unless it was adult owned and driven ;T
I wouldnt completely agree with that either. I know a lot of "adults" who abuse their cars more than "kids" who baby their first cars.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #83
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemith View Post
Exactly. Which means that those of us that drive loaners like they are our own are soon going to find ourselves in Mazdas and Kias for loaners cause they can't trust douchebags like this with a 50k car.

Thanks Jackass
This is probably why the loaner car minimum age is 25 (same with rental cars) so I have to take my parents with me when I need to get a loaner and get stuck driving a Benz around until my car's fixed.

If I drive a manual 328i every day, why would I want to joyride the autos they use as loaners? Thanks to the morons who do beat on other peoples' cars though, they can't afford to trust anyone.

Also, this is what makes me cringe when I think of getting a used car.

I think burberry means adult as in a mature person, not just an older person. You can usually tell the difference within a few minutes of talking to them.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #84
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar335i View Post
I hope your engine blows...
........... what a couple of douches.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #85
Mia335
Love BMW !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i, 2001 X5 4.4

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
Thumbs down Idiot

No respect, no knowledge, just a moron.....

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #86
jtchen22
Rep
Drives: 335i

I cannot believe you would compare the n54 with an F1 engine, thinking that the break in procedure would even be remotely the same.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #87
turbologist
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: tricycle

You guys sound like Beavis and Butthead...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #88
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

goddamn i love e90post

gee... never knew there were so many henry fords on this forum. almost forgot i was on a 3 series forum for a sec...
Appreciate 0