E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d PCV Catch Can Question

01-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #199
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Gonna buy a BMS one prob. Trying to find some 90 fittings right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #200
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Teaser pics, I hope I can finish this up, Its looking promising.
Please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #201
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

success! thought I don't have a catch can yet. It aint beautiful yet but I have it plumbed. Now I can look for better fitting now that I know what I need. Anyways it wasn't very hard or expensive but again its not pretty nor perfect. Ill put up some pics and the parts I used so you can get Ideas to complete your own setup.

The worst part was that I had to trim the engine cover, But it doesn't stand out. Also have to cut the Blow by tube so this is permanent (unless you can get the part number for that part, I couldn't find it)

Parts used:
3/4 heater hose x8-10ft ( not cut till I have a catch can to install)
2x 45 degree copper elbows
1x 90 degree copper
about 10 hose clamps.
Attached Images

Last edited by JDG; 01-24-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #202
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
success! thought I don't have a catch can yet. It aint beautiful yet but I have it plumbed. Now I can look for better fitting now that I know what I need. Anyways it wasn't very hard or expensive but again its not pretty nor perfect. Ill put up some pics and the parts I used so you can get Ideas to complete your own setup.

The worst part was that I had to trim the engine cover, But it doesn't stand out. Also have to cut the Blow by tube so this is permanent (unless you can get the part number for that part, I couldn't find it)

Parts used:
3/4 heater hose x8-10ft ( not cut till I have a catch can to install)
2x 45 degree copper elbows
1x 90 degree copper
about 10 hose clamps.
Looking great! Thanks for the progress! That is one tidy engine bay, bud.

I think TDI had the right part number for the other tube; just the diagram is odd. BMW shows the same...
http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/201...gramCallOut=13

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #203
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Looking great! Thanks for the progress! That is one tidy engine bay, bud.

I think TDI had the right part number for the other tube; just the diagram is odd. BMW shows the same...
http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/201...gramCallOut=13
Thanks for the compliment, I spend enough time in there, I don't like it being all gritty.

That part that TDI listed looks like the lower part of the two piece pipe, see picture. I could be wrong but I don't think it is the top part. In the picture, there are 3 pieces.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #204
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the compliment, I spend enough time in there, I don't like it being all gritty.

That part that TDI listed looks like the lower part of the two piece pipe, see picture. I could be wrong but I don't think it is the top part. In the picture, there are 3 pieces.
Oh, gotcha. I think that's this one...(#11 - 11127809513)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=11&fg=15

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #205
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thats it, thanks! doesn't have a price there but now I have the part number. Will be good if I itryto warrant something.

BTW have the BMS n54 catch can coming to finish this

Edit looks like it comes with the breather assembly for 64$

Last edited by JDG; 01-24-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #206
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Oh, gotcha. I think that's this one...(#11 - 11127809513)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=11&fg=15
That's the part I received way back here in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=130

I was wanting a way to fix things if I messed it up after I cut into it. But then got side tracked by the DPF/SCR/EGR stuff...

JDG... wow your engine bay is clean. Nice. Are you concerned about the temps the routing will see in that location? I haven't probed the underhood temps yet to see how cold things get in the -20F air temp's (it's been a cold winter). Some of the TDIclub guys have had issues with freezing up, and something I would not want to have happen.

Oh wait, I see you're in Alabama. You probably don't need to worry about the extreme cold temps...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #207
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Which BMS kit are going to use N54 or N55? [Edit: i see that you have ordered the N54]. It would seem to me that we have room to put the can in the same spot as the N55 kit does. Your copper elbows would need to be pointed to the passenger side instead but I'm sure it would work. There appears to be a pocket between forward side of airbox and frame. It isn't exactly same as N55 by any means but the mount onto frame may still work. If the mount doesn't work, it still appears the pocket would still let the OCC fit.

Question: Does anyone know the approx diameter and length of the OCC from BMS? I will also go check out other one TDI discussed a while back.

I point to the forward of airbox area for OCC as the tubing will be a short run this way.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 01-24-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #208
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

TDI, that part you have is the wrong part. It should have a plug on the end, not a barb type fitting. With that one pictured, you don't have the first sensor and will prob throw a code.

As far as freezing, no I am not concerned. So far, Its only been about 28 here but under the hood temps are always above freezing when the car is warmed. Also there shouldn't be enough vapor to freeze in the distance, Its actually not going to be that long. The hose is routed over the coolant hose on the driver side so if there were any concerns, that would help to heat the air. I wont be driving the car this weekend so I cant test any temps out, but I don't really have the conditions to do it like you do.

On a another note, TDI,. yours should be easier as you have "lost" your egr cooler. It will give you a cleaner way to route your hose's if you choose to go the way I did. I was thinking about removing the air box and use my open air filter, but I like the way the car drives with the factory air box right now. Maybe with a tune the open filter is better but stock, I like factory so far.

This left me with little for mounting area. The BMS n54 can mounts to the brace on the driver side , So I routed my hoses over there. Ill have a can on it next week and my DSLR back, Ill try to do some better pictures.

Now if someone has a source for some better fittings, Id like to look into that. the copper fittings look silly and belong under my sink and not my under my hood.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #209
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Which BMS kit are going to use N54 or N55? It would seem to me that we have room to put the can in the same spot as the N55 kit does. Your copper elbows would need to be pointed to the passenger side instead but I'm sure it would work. There appears to be a pocket between forward side of airbox and frame. It isn't exactly same as N55 by any means but the mount onto frame may still work. If the mount doesn't work, it still appears the pocket would still let the OCC fit.

Question: Does anyone know the approx diameter and length of the OCC from BMS? I will also go check out other one TDI discussed a while back.

I point to the forward of airbox area for OCC as the tubing will be a short run this way.
I did the n54 one, for the mounting bracket. I don't think that the can will fit with the stock air box in place if you go n55
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 03:31 AM   #210
335dwagon
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335D wagon

Good install JDG. One note that I would like to point out that not all rubber heater hose in the states is oil resistant. Most will eventually absorb the oil and swell causing possible leaks, and collapsing of the hose from heat as well as softness of the hose. I will be posting my install today and I have had mine installed for over 3,000 kilometers.

P.S. Did you notice how much of a pain in the ass is to reinstall the plastic pipe into the breather assembly on the rear part of the valve cover? You gotta watch damaging the green o ring. I removed the entire breather dome as I call it, from on top of the cam cover to reinstall the pipe without damaging the green o ring causing further leaks."
      01-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #211
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
TDI, that part you have is the wrong part. It should have a plug on the end, not a barb type fitting.
Correct. It's a Euro version of the pipe. However, the tubing section is the same shape and length and width. So the idea was to be able to use it to patch/repair/replace the tubing on the OEM piece depending on how I cut things.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #212
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

JDG, from your pic in post #203, did you happen to measure the outside diameter of the main tube the flexible pipe with the MAF connects to? I never took the time to do that when messing around down there.

I'm asking because using the AEM filter on the MAF section with the OEM flexible tube actually forces the filter to be located in a such a way that a lot of space is wasted. If an alternative flexible tube could be used (like a smooth angled silicon turbo connector something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321047209071?lpid=82) the AEM filter could be more optimally placed and free up more room for a catch can on the passenger side, and significantly reduce tube routing length. Plus the non ribbed silicon pipe might also flow better than the ribbed OEM section.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #213
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

TDI, I did not measure that, and I wont be able to mess with the car again for awhile. I do think that at least on the MAF side, its closer to 4" if I remember correctly. Maybe its closer to 4" down there. If you haven't had a chance to look at this by next weekend, I can prob do it. Your idea looks like a much cleaner solution than whats there now.

335D, this hose prob isn't oil resistant. This setup up was to se if I could do it. Now that I know what I need to make it work, I can get more appropriate, costly parts. I just wanted a correct shopping list. When all said and done, I want to make it look close to factory, so Ill prob use more expensive hose, Hose clamps and proper automobile fittings.

And yes the valve cover vent tube is a pain! If you look back a page, you'll see I removed 3 of the oil return lines. The one the car looks new because it is. On my first attempt to do this, I broke one of those fittings and the part was 144 to replace to get the car running again. so be careful!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #214
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
JDG, from your pic in post #203, did you happen to measure the outside diameter of the main tube the flexible pipe with the MAF connects to? I never took the time to do that when messing around down there.

I'm asking because using the AEM filter on the MAF section with the OEM flexible tube actually forces the filter to be located in a such a way that a lot of space is wasted. If an alternative flexible tube could be used (like a smooth angled silicon turbo connector something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321047209071?lpid=82) the AEM filter could be more optimally placed and free up more room for a catch can on the passenger side, and significantly reduce tube routing length. Plus the non ribbed silicon pipe might also flow better than the ribbed OEM section.
Trying to follow but don't know jargon. MAF=?, AEF=?. Being nosey in you two's conversation as I'm with TDI on the passenger mount location, if feasible.

TDI, can you point to the spot you want a diameter of from post 203? I'm planning to do exploratory surgery this weekend and I can try to get that info you quest for.

One other contributing piece to ponder. Didn't someone do an airbox compartment switchover. It was sort of like a plastic wall with a hole in it for intake tube to poke through then install cone (or was it cylindrical) filter element. OCC could maybe fit inside there too or have more room forward of the "wall" aparatus. Just thinking out loud.

This is great work, JDG. Looking forward to seeing Doc's picture. By the way Doc, I saw your request way back when on going to simi valley to work with BMS. Only problem here was i'm half way across north american continent from there. We do have Socal folks on this thread though.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 01-25-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #215
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

MAF= mass air flow, its the part with the plug right after the air filter
AEM= aftermarket performance products http://www.aempower.com/

the part he wants is the diameter of the hard plastic pipe out of the turbo. It connects to the flexible elbow. He wants to remove the large flexible ribbed section and replace it with a silicon elbow
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #216
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
For the future reference of anyone reading this thread, here is the thread of @335dwagon that he was kind enough to post for us this AM...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post15332321

@tdiwyse, I was thinking the same thing as far as shortening up that flexible tube just a bit. I think I took a pic of the measurement; will look in my phone to see if I have it. (Its dead ATM)

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #217
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think this hose should work just fine:http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/pn...ater-oil-black
now to find some pushlok fittings for it
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #218
335dwagon
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335D wagon

Just to let you all know, that I would recommend a hose with at least 5/8" inside diameter since the Burger Motorsports can inlet and outlets are 3/4". That way you can get as much oil through the hose as possible.
      01-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #219
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
the part he wants is the diameter of the hard plastic pipe out of the turbo. It connects to the flexible elbow. He wants to remove the large flexible ribbed section and replace it with a silicon elbow
Exactly correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #220
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

335d, are you sure that the burger can is 3/4id? My friend gave me a spare section of 3/4 od hose from the install of his n54 can and its 1/2id. Also the vent pipe I cut is only 1/2id because the 3/4od hose slips on it tightly.
Appreciate 0