E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Huge Gas consumption

08-30-2014, 04:11 AM   #1
iljao
Rep
Drives: e90 325i @ 2005

Huge Gas consumption

Hi Everybody!

I have a question regarding my 2006 325i E90 with Automatic transmission.
I've changed my e46 to e90 and it has been 3 week since and only recently i discovered that the car is consuming way more gas that it should. It literally took me a bit over a week to check the average consumption which is around 19l/100 km (!) I feel like it's consuming gas like 4.0 liter car. I took some time to research this online and it looks like this car should consume around 12.5l/100 km which sounds reasonable. I called the seller and he said the same thing.
A friend of mine took a look with a computer and it showed no problems except for a bad battery, but the engine from the computer point of stand was all good.
So the question is: what would be the first thing that i should take a look at?
I'm getting my car into the dealer shop sometime next week, just wanted to see what i should prepare for.
BTW, the car is from 2006,but has only driven 60k km, so it's i would surprised that some problems have even started to come up.

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Nossic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

Typical questions come up, but shouldn't be ignored:

How's your driving style? Mix of driving (Hwy vs city). Tire pressure. Type of tire. Gasoline octane. Air filter etc...

Maybe stuck brake calipers. Beyond that, I'm not too sure. I have E90 330xi, and I'm getting about 11L/100km as per the computer on 91 octane with about 50/50 hwy/city. Occasionally, I'll have a heavy foot, or I'm overtaking someone; I drive pretty mildly.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
iljao
Rep
Drives: e90 325i @ 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nossic View Post
Typical questions come up, but shouldn't be ignored:

How's your driving style? Mix of driving (Hwy vs city). Tire pressure. Type of tire. Gasoline octane. Air filter etc...

Maybe stuck brake calipers. Beyond that, I'm not too sure. I have E90 330xi, and I'm getting about 11L/100km as per the computer on 91 octane with about 50/50 hwy/city. Occasionally, I'll have a heavy foot, or I'm overtaking someone; I drive pretty mildly.
Thanks for the comment!
Its 95% city driving - so yes, traffic jams is something that I need to go through quite a bit.
Tire pressures were checked last week and they did seem to be a bit deflated - thats fixed and the mileage has dropped a bit.
The rims are 235/35 19".
As far as I'm aware the air filter has been replaced last week - so that should be all good.

And yes, see, thats close to reading i should be getting what you are mentioning - 11L-13L/100km.

Question on a side note, is that ok for cold engine to drop revs a bit? Basically when I just start the car the rev need is a tiny bit "jumpy" for some seconds before the engine warms up. Perhaps I'm just getting a bit too paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Nossic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

These cars are unbelievably thirsty in stop and go, city driving... I can do as little as 7L/100km on pure highway (check out one of my threads). However, once I introduce it to some city driving, that diminishes quickly. I live in the suburbs, so I rarely see anything over 12L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by iljao View Post
Question on a side note, is that ok for cold engine to drop revs a bit? Basically when I just start the car the rev need is a tiny bit "jumpy" for some seconds before the engine warms up. Perhaps I'm just getting a bit too paranoid.
For me... I replaced my spark plugs with the OEM equivalent (ie, the aftermarket version without BMW's logo) and didn't bother checking for gaps as they were pre-gapped... So yes my RPM is a little "jumpy", something around 50 to 100rpm fluctuations.. but I'm not worried.
Appreciate 0