E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread

04-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #331
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFother View Post
Impressions after 24 Hours for a NON I-Drive 6FL:

Today was my first day with the appropriate cable. I noticed that (As MajorHusker pointed out) the IPod displays "OK to disconnect". Now here is my big problem...I don't think the Ipod shuts off when you turn off the car and walk away! This morning...I got in my car...opened the glove box...and the IPod display lit up! I HAD NOT put the key in the "ignition" and I do not have Comfort Access. Sounds like we are back to the age old question:

Does the light in the refrigerator go out when you close the door?

Anyway...I'm sure there is more to this then I know. An owners manual that explains all this would have been a big help. Perhaps I'm just a moron...and I need to disconnect the IPod every night and haul it inside. To me...I only intend to take it out of the car on hot days, and when I need to update it. I would also prefer if I didn't have to open the glove box and shut the thing off, or worse yet...disconnect it and then shut it off, every time I get out of my vehicle. Maybe I'm just asking for the moon...
Could it be that the USB is hot all the time? An iPod will eventually turn off after no use unless it is being acted upon by other forces. Is it also possible that simply unlocking the car/opening the door turns it on? I agree that if it is warm to the touch, it has probably been on for awhile though.

And I would never call you a moron... not to your face.

Thanks for the info - keep it coming, especially the refrigerator test. We are living vicariously through you at the moment.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #332
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Eric, I did the test for you. Caveat is that I don't have the 6FL cable, but with my Apple cable, here's what happened:

Open car door and gently place my taught behind into the beautiful lemon seat...

Open center console... observe iPod. Mr. iPod is dark.
A second later... Mr. iPod wakes up and light comes on.

USB power must be on the same circuit as the interior lighting, etc. It probably stays hot until the car goes into sleep mode.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #333
bmwvirgin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure...but I think the reason your music works is because you imported it into ITunes as MP3. The 6FL in the car sees your IPod as one big hard drive...and you can view your music. Once again. I'm not 100% sure. I noticed that when I did the same thing you did (hooked up my IPod with the USB-IPod cable that came with my IPod) that my music was all in 4 character titles that made no sense...like GJKT and GJKU...which might sound like 2 songs in a row...but were totally random music! I had imported all my music into ITunes via the Apple Lossless...or something like that.

I imagine someone else with more knowledge on the subject will weigh in shortly.
yeah...i had the same thing with the 4 letter codes. but whtn i went to artists, it displayed them all and i could pick and choose and song names were displayed correctly. Again, no access to my playlists.

and it never shut off and always displayed "do not disconnect". for fear of draining my battery, i disconnected anyway. no issues so far. just hope that cable comes in soon.
      04-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #334
bmwvirgin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I tried again to just use the iPod cable and nothing happens. The iPod just shows me the "don't disconnect" message and if I select AUX there is nothing there. Could be because I have a lot of music in it, but I gave it quite a bit of time.
hmmmm....i get taht message on my iPOd, but songs/artists do register on the screen and i can play them fine.
      04-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #335
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure...but I think the reason your music works is because you imported it into ITunes as MP3. The 6FL in the car sees your IPod as one big hard drive...and you can view your music. Once again. I'm not 100% sure. I noticed that when I did the same thing you did (hooked up my IPod with the USB-IPod cable that came with my IPod) that my music was all in 4 character titles that made no sense...like GJKT and GJKU...which might sound like 2 songs in a row...but were totally random music! I had imported all my music into ITunes via the Apple Lossless...or something like that.

I imagine someone else with more knowledge on the subject will weigh in shortly.
When you use a standard iPod USB cable the iPod does indeed look like a hard drive. The gibberish titles are because that's what iPod uses in it's directory structure. You will eventually see the real titles (5-10 min) once all the ID3 tags are read and indexed.

When you use the special BMW adapter cable, USB is converted to serial to operate the iPod serial control interface and use the iPod functionality for many things rather than the MP3 functionality thats built into the BMW radio. That means that the functionality is a lot more like the iPod when used standalone. Some benefits: Much faster indexing (since the index already exists in the iPod), better shuffle, better use of the Genre, Artist, Title hierarchy.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #336
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Won-Today View Post
Just confirmed with our parts department that the part # is on a national freeze.

As others have already stated, it probably is due to no bulletin being distributed yet to the dealers with the part # and ordering instructions. However, the parts department here said that the cables they ordered show an ETA of 4/6. I guess we will find out in a couple of days.

I'll try to keep you posted...
Just curious if you've had any new word on the iPod cables at the PDC...

Signed: I-Lost-Today

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #337
bmwvirgin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just curious if you've had any new word on the iPod cables at the PDC...

Signed: I-Lost-Today

For what it's worth.....my parts dept just said the same thing - Off freeze tomorrow, in stock on Mon.
      04-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #338
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
USB retrofit

Okay, don't kill the messenger but.....

I just got back from my dealership and I was talking to the Part/Accessories guy. He's been there for a while and seems to know his stuff. I was talking to him about getting the dealer install iPod option and he said to wait! I said I know I'd rather have the USB port but my car didn't come with it. He said that he knew some people were working on a retro-fit option for the older cars and thought that it would be out in the next few month!

Now I have absolutely NO reason to believe him especially with all I have read here but maybe.... Let's all bend down and
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #339
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
You never know Bartman... it could happen. It will suck though if you wait a few months and nothing comes of it...

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #340
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI, all BMW's

fyi, at least at my dealership the cables came in this morning. best of luck everyone!
      04-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #341
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
fyi, at least at my dealership the cables came in this morning. best of luck everyone!
You son of a bitch! (j/k) No clue yet from my dealer. I told you that they will be doled out on a priority basis - with smaller dealerships and customers who already have their cars getting royally screwed.

Time to call BMWNA again and yell I guess.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #342
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Just talked to my SA. He checked on it for me and they are still saying it is frozen.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #343
I-Won-Today
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with wheels

Quote:
Just talked to my SA. He checked on it for me and they are still saying it is frozen.

Diddo... No cables today for us either. Parts says they still show frozen.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #344
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe 6MT

Quote:

Don't see how that can be...if they can be had by some in the U.K. or Germany. Unless the U.S. are frozen.

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #345
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Called BMWNA. Told the girl I wanted an update on the situation and gave her the part number.

She called me back about an hour later, and said they are still frozen and she had NO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION or ETA. How the fuck can BMW have no additional information????

Meanwhile, some customers get them with the car and some don't. Some dealers are getting inventory now and some aren't.

BMW - YOU CAN BLOW ME

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #346
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep

led... when I get back to work (3pm) I'll go over to parts and see what their screen says. if I can I'll find out the price and you are welcome to come up and get one tonight if you would like.
      04-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #347
I-Won-Today
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with wheels

Alright... Parts just told me that they now show released this afternoon, so we should get them the begining of next week.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #348
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep

I don't know for sure if we have any additional ones or just the ones I paid for... but we'll see what happens when I get into work. I'll see how many we have (considering I have a delivery on monday that needs them.
      04-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #349
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
led... when I get back to work (3pm) I'll go over to parts and see what their screen says. if I can I'll find out the price and you are welcome to come up and get one tonight if you would like.
That is certainly considerate of you, very much so. But I have no interest in paying for what I should have already. It is amazing to me that customers waiting for this part are given no priority at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Won-Today View Post
Alright... Parts just told me that they now show released this afternoon, so we should get them the begining of next week.
God only knows when my dealer will be able to get it. At the least the folks doing PCD will treated right. Too bad that BMW is doing so well that they can mistreat customers just like the Big Three used to do. How did that 'poor customer service' thing work out for them, by the way?

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #350
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eric, I did the test for you. Caveat is that I don't have the 6FL cable, but with my Apple cable, here's what happened:

Open car door and gently place my taught behind into the beautiful lemon seat...

Open center console... observe iPod. Mr. iPod is dark.
A second later... Mr. iPod wakes up and light comes on.

USB power must be on the same circuit as the interior lighting, etc. It probably stays hot until the car goes into sleep mode.
Confirmed with 6FL cable!

I left the IPod out of the center armrest...locked the car...came back about 45 minutes later to see that the IPod was completely off. I unlocked the door...nothing. I opened the door...IPod woke up. I'm glad to know that the IPod will not remain on...or worse yet...drain my battery.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

I got to use the IPod for about 4 hours today on a trip from Lakenheath to London's Gatwick Airport to pick up my sister.

One of the things I noticed is that there is no option to go directly to Podcasts. You have to look them up via the Album menu on the stereo screen. Not a big deal...but you have to know what your looking for when you start to scroll through the list.

Speaking of the list...I noticed that the stereo doesn't go into "turbo" mode like the IPod does. Anyone notice how your IPod (I have a 5th Gen...60GB Video BTW) will scroll quickly through lists (like albums) and display the letter of the alphabet to help you stop? Not that I would expect the BMW stereo to do that for me...but if you want to get to an album that starts with letter M...your going to be cranking the small wheel on the stereo for a little while.

For me personally...Playlists are the way to go. I like to listen to a select number of songs from a certain artist instead of the whole album. Narrowing down those songs I like and putting them on a playlist is the way to go for me. Also...having playlists reduces the number of items I have to scroll through to get to the music I want to listen to. I only have about 8GB of music on the IPod.

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #351
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Confirmed with 6FL cable!

I left the IPod out of the center armrest...locked the car...came back about 45 minutes later to see that the IPod was completely off. I unlocked the door...nothing. I opened the door...IPod woke up. I'm glad to know that the IPod will not remain on...or worse yet...drain my battery.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

I got to use the IPod for about 4 hours today on a trip from Lakenheath to London's Gatwick Airport to pick up my sister.

One of the things I noticed is that there is no option to go directly to Podcasts. You have to look them up via the Album menu on the stereo screen. Not a big deal...but you have to know what your looking for when you start to scroll through the list.

Speaking of the list...I noticed that the stereo doesn't go into "turbo" mode like the IPod does. Anyone notice how your IPod (I have a 5th Gen...60GB Video BTW) will scroll quickly through lists (like albums) and display the letter of the alphabet to help you stop? Not that I would expect the BMW stereo to do that for me...but if you want to get to an album that starts with letter M...your going to be cranking the small wheel on the stereo for a little while.

For me personally...Playlists are the way to go. I like to listen to a select number of songs from a certain artist instead of the whole album. Narrowing down those songs I like and putting them on a playlist is the way to go for me. Also...having playlists reduces the number of items I have to scroll through to get to the music I want to listen to. I only have about 8GB of music on the IPod.

Excellent Eric! Glad that you were able to confirm with the cable.

Gee, must be nice to have that cable.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #352
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gee, must be nice to have that cable.
Sorry...don't mean to rub it in. It is pretty much all I expected it to be. Nice to have the only model of car (that I know of) on the planet that will let you fully control an IPod without actually touching the IPod.

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0