E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > My roommate got a DUI last night

05-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

^ agree, i mean you shouldn't drive if you're wasted... but .08's pretty weak

though now i can say i did the orange vest bs and am a hardened criminal. the classes were actually pretty fun, and then i'd see them around town at bars/clubs lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
shit happens...dont' drink and then drive..

Unfortunately, he'll have to explain this on his job applications for the rest of his life. That's why this risk is NEVER worth taking, it has a lot of downstream consequences even if there's no accident associated with this.
Employers only go back 7 years on criminal background checks, so no, it won't be for the rest of his life. And this is assuming he doesn't beat it or it isn't pled down from a misdemeanor to a violation. First time DUIs are very likely to be one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
My roommate left the club to take some girl home at 2 am. He only had his day time running lights on in his Volkswagen GTI. He blew a 0.15.
He was only using the day time running lights or that was all that was functional???
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Should have your license revoked automatically if you get a DUI, current punishments are not strict enough.
Agreed!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

my bigger question here now is, how do all the people saying not to drink and drive go out? Do you not drink? Or does everyone have some magical friend that likes to go out with you and not drink?
or other point, every time you go out on the weekends, you pay for a cab?

not being stupid about it, just really want to know how people handle going out socially on the weekends. I'll go watch a football game at a bar and have maybe 3 drinks over the course of the game, and that pretty much puts me at .08 bac.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Grubba Balls View Post
dui sucks... hopefully it was only the first one. with the fines, increased insurance, mandatory classes, easily a 10k loss. got one myself about 5 yrs ago.
It depends on who you are....and who you know. Case in point: The DA in Austin, Tx got a DWI a few weeks ago.......LEO found an OPEN BOTTLE OF VODKA in the car, she refused a breathalyzer, but a subsequent blood draw was .23.....
so to save her political career (that's right, folks, the lead DA who enforces the law doesn't see it as a conflict of interest to keep her $125k/yr job while serving a jail sentence for breaking one of the very laws she was elected to enforce), she entered a guilty plea and ONE WEEK LATER was sentenced to 45 days in jail (on a 2 for 1 for good behavior, mind you), 180 day suspended license, and a $4k fine.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...ourt-on-friday

Who the f*ck do you know that can get a DWI over and done with in ONE WEEK? As a native Texan, this is a mockery of justice is un-freaking-believable, not to mention straight up embarrassing.

Trivia time: Which state leads the nation in DWI deaths? Hope you guessed Texas so you can collect your prize.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #29
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

well no shit
      05-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
I'll go watch a football game at a bar and have maybe 3 drinks over the course of the game, and that pretty much puts me at .08 bac.
I think a lot of people on this thread are underestimating a .08 BAC. If you have access to a good breathalyzer or know someone else who does you'd be surprised how much you have to drink to maintain a .08. While everyone's tolerance differs I find it hard to believe that a healthy male who weighs more than 100 pounds would be legally intoxicated from three drinks over a three-hour period unless those drinks were cups of hard liquor.
      05-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
my bigger question here now is, how do all the people saying not to drink and drive go out? Do you not drink? Or does everyone have some magical friend that likes to go out with you and not drink?

not being stupid about it, just really want to know how people handle going out socially on the weekends. I'll go watch a football game at a bar and have maybe 3 drinks over the course of the game, and that pretty much puts me at .08 bac.
In my group of friends, it actually rotates (after 3 of the group of 5 got DUIs) on who is going to stay sober that night. The person who does get's taken care of, food, fluids, gas, etc. so that we don't have to risk it any more. When we need to take somebody home, cabs or Uber are the way we go.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #32
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:

I designate myself the designated driver. I have a good time w/out alcohol anyway, so no need to get liquored up. I have 1 drink an hour, stopping @ 2. And I wait for at least 90 mins before my last drink before I even think about stepping behind the wheel. Other nights, I won't drink at all. Doesn't faze me at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #33
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Don't need to get trashed every time I go out, and neither do any of my friends. Plus, having a significant other means we can take turns getting drunk if one of us wants to. Did that last weekend in fact.

I have paid for cabs too if we all happen to get drunk or the DD decides to change his mind and get wasted. If you all chip in, it's not that expensive. Much cheaper than paying for a DUI charge (or being dead).

I won't say "no, never go out and drink." That's stupid. Go out, have a good time. Just have a plan, and be ready to call a cab if you need to because your plan fell through.
      05-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #34
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I designate myself the designated driver. I have a good time w/out alcohol anyway, so no need to get liquored up. I have 1 drink an hour, stopping @ 2. And I wait for at least 90 mins before my last drink before I even think about stepping behind the wheel. Other nights, I won't drink at all. Doesn't faze me at all.
I need someone like you in my group! Seriously though, no one I know has gotten a DUI yet, but there have been numerous times when everyones going out and theres talk about whos going to drive that I just decide I'll stay home alone because they want me to drive and I don't want to deal with a bunch of drunk people.
I don't have fun at loud clubs without having some drinks and I don't want to deal with ridiculous people all night. People I hang out with feel the same way also, so it's always a problem with who drives. A taxi is about $100 one way or so from my part of town to a downtown area, so that deters people also. Not that a dui is less then that $100, but it gets to the point where everyone is just going to stay at home and not be social because it's too expensive to go out anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #35
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Don't need to get trashed every time I go out, and neither do any of my friends. Plus, having a significant other means we can take turns getting drunk if one of us wants to. Did that last weekend in fact.

I have paid for cabs too if we all happen to get drunk or the DD decides to change his mind and get wasted. If you all chip in, it's not that expensive. Much cheaper than paying for a DUI charge (or being dead).

I won't say "no, never go out and drink." That's stupid. Go out, have a good time. Just have a plan, and be ready to call a cab if you need to because your plan fell through.
I'm not saying drunk, just breaking that .08.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #36
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I think a lot of people on this thread are underestimating a .08 BAC. If you have access to a good breathalyzer or know someone else who does you'd be surprised how much you have to drink to maintain a .08. While everyone's tolerance differs I find it hard to believe that a healthy male who weighs more than 100 pounds would be legally intoxicated from three drinks over a three-hour period unless those drinks were cups of hard liquor.
hmm true, let's say you stop at happy hour with work people on a friday and it's 2 for 1s. you have 4 total drinks in 2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #37
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
Nothing man. I just care about the people in this forum and wanted to remind them to stay safe.
with all respect sir, all of us should already know what the risk is. to get in the car after drinking too much means not to drive period. have fun, but not at the expense of the innocent or ourselves. be selfless and know when not to drive.

safety means excuting proper decisions, and i would hope that we are all able to make good decisions when it comes to getting in a vehicle (after drinking) for ourselves, our families, and others out there on the road. no excuses.
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm not saying drunk, just breaking that .08.
I gotcha. Yea it can be tough to determine where you're at though without your own breathalyzer.
      05-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #39
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Anyone who says you could take a whiff of alcohol and get 0.08 BAC is dumb. A 200 lb dude needs four straight shots to get to 0.75. And that's breathalyzing IMMEDIATELY afterwards. It's really not that hard to wait out the legal limit. Getting sh*tfaced and right into your car is just asking for it.
      05-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #40
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
hmm true, let's say you stop at happy hour with work people on a friday and it's 2 for 1s. you have 4 total drinks in 2 hours.
4 drinks in 2 hours...
Again, I'll use the 200 lb as an example.
Let's be generous and say the body breaks down 1 drink per hour and that the four drinks were evenly spaced out
1st drink is @ 30min
2nd drink @ 1hr
3rd drink @ 1.5 hr
4th drink @ right before you get in the car

1st drink is broken down by 1 hour and 30 minutes; so 0
2nd drink is broken down by the time you leave; so 0
3rd drink is half gone by the time you leave so 0.01
4th drink is finished as you're getting into the car so 0.02 + the 0.01
.03 is no where CLOSE to 0.08

If you're lighter, then yeah. It's easier to be over the limit but that's common sense.
      05-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #41
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
There's also alcohol related reckless which doesn't require 0.08 but any level of alcohol in the blood combined with speeding or some other traffic offense. And the penalty for this is comparable to a DUI.

This is why I don't drink at all if I'm planning to drive. I drive an M Car, and have not even a cursory respect for speed limits. So if I'm stopped (hopefully won't happen with my $3000 radar and laser jamming system), I will at least have 0 alcohol in my blood making it a pure speeding offense. I get much more enjoyment from driving my M Car than from booze, and I choose the former over the latter 100% of the time. In fact I only drink if I'm out of town and car-less.

This said I would support much harsher penalties for DUI and more DUI checkpoints. Its a horrible habit that puts us all at risk - along with use of cellphones, food, and cosmetics while driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #42
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #43
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Anyone who says you could take a whiff of alcohol and get 0.08 BAC is dumb. A 200 lb dude needs four straight shots to get to 0.75. And that's breathalyzing IMMEDIATELY afterwards. It's really not that hard to wait out the legal limit. Getting sh*tfaced and right into your car is just asking for it.
I think you'd be dead at a 0.75 BAC.
      05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #44
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
4 drinks in 2 hours...
Again, I'll use the 200 lb as an example.
Let's be generous and say the body breaks down 1 drink per hour and that the four drinks were evenly spaced out
1st drink is @ 30min
2nd drink @ 1hr
3rd drink @ 1.5 hr
4th drink @ right before you get in the car

1st drink is broken down by 1 hour and 30 minutes; so 0
2nd drink is broken down by the time you leave; so 0
3rd drink is half gone by the time you leave so 0.01
4th drink is finished as you're getting into the car so 0.02 + the 0.01
.03 is no where CLOSE to 0.08

If you're lighter, then yeah. It's easier to be over the limit but that's common sense.
When you put it that way, I see where the problem is with .08 then. I think at that point I might be falling over given that. I mean at the end of those 4 drinks I will feel "buzzed" and your saying i'd only be at .03ish. I was always over the assumption that if I felt buzzed means I'd get a DUI while driving.
Appreciate 0