E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Which brand of sunglasses do you wear/prefer?

07-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #155
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Was a Revo guy for ever until they got bought by Luxottica along with Oakley, Ray ban and everyone else. Most of the stuff listed here are made by Luxottica. Prices went up and quality went down. Just look at the offerings by Revo. Lower quality and distortion issues. They used to be the top of the line as far as lenses go.

So I have been a Maui Jim convert since. Still private and incredible quality optics. And the repair service is outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #156
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Early Revo or Bolle.

I still have a soft spot for Oakley Frogskins....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #157
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Early Revo or Bolle.

I still have a soft spot for Oakley Frogskins....
Yeah, Revos in early 2000s were the bomb.

I saw the 60 minutes show on Luxottica and how they dominate the eyewear world. Kind of disturbing...but you can't fault razor sharp business management. I wonder how the Oakley guys really felt.
      07-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #158
Xios135
First Lieutenant
Bouvet Island
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB CLA Edition 1

Garage List
60 Minutes story

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50149025n
      07-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #159
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
I prefer Carrera.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #160
Xios135
First Lieutenant
Bouvet Island
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wonder how the Oakley guys really felt.

Jim Jannard, who started Oakley and was CEO at the time of the sale probably would have sold it around that time anyway as he wanted to move on to focusing his efforts on his next venture, Red Digital Cinema http://www.red.com/ They are quickly becoming the camera of choice for most major mation pictures, yet affordable enough (relativley speaking) for independent film makers. You can really see the Oakley design influence in the gear.

Fun facts from Jannard's wiki page...

Jannard was born in Los Angeles but was raised in Alhambra, California. Jannard was accepted to the USC School of Pharmacy, but dropped out.

He sold Oakley in mid-2007 for over $2 billion.

In 2009, Jannard was named one of the 100 Most Creative People by Fast Company Magazine.

Jannard married his neighbor Pamela Pittario when he was 21. They had four children before divorcing. Jannard later married his Oakley assistant Bobbie Gamble.

Jannard owns the Fiji islands of Kaibu and Vatuvara. He also owns a 500-acre island in the San Juan Islands archipelago. In 1999, Jannard purchased two properties in Newport Beach, California, for about $15 million.In late 2009 and 2010, he purchased two houses in Beverly Hills for a total of $25.1 million.

As of September 2012, Jannard's net worth was $2.8 billion.

Red Epic Dragon
Attached Images

07-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #161
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

ray ban aviator. For golf and driving and everything in between. Feels so light and comfortable sometime I forget that I still have it on.
      07-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #162
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
ray ban aviator. For golf and driving and everything in between. Feels so light and comfortable sometime I forget that I still have it on.
I need to find something comfortable that I can wear while golfing. I can not stand wearing shades when I golf, I always find myself concentrating on the fact that I'm wearing sunglasses rather than hitting the ball.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #163
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I need to find something comfortable that I can wear while golfing. I can not stand wearing shades when I golf, I always find myself concentrating on the fact that I'm wearing sunglasses rather than hitting the ball.
Don't worry, a lot of people cant wear shades during golf either. They prefer to wear a hat which shades their eyes. I on the other hand hate wearing any type of hat because 1) I look like an idiot and 2) my head gets real itchy. I fell in love with my aviator and have been wearing the same pair for over 6 years. I've tried other ray ban's and brands but none seems to be this comfortable. It might also have to do with the fitment.
      07-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #164
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Those are the same reasons I can't wear a hat either. I look like an idiot, my head is not meant to wear a hat. I don't have a large head, so I have to be real particular about what sunglasses even fit well, let alone a style I like too. I used to wear Flak Jackets but the lens is just way too small, but the fitment was real nice. Haven't looked into Ray Ban's, not sure why, but I might have to check some out.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #165
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Are you using sunglasses with a large lense that does not inhibit your view and peripheral vision? A small lense will certainly have that effect.
Have you tried the Oakley Radars or M-Frames yet? My Radars are the best sports glasses I own. Super wide lenses with no viewing issues. I own two pairs of Radars and two pairs of M-frames. Of all my sunglasses, my Radars are what I use on the golf course. They’ve also seen 200+ college baseball games, plus I use them when riding my road bike as well as any other outside sport (aside from fishing).
While I don’t own a ton of high end brands, I have quite a bit of experience with the mid level sunglasses.

My favorites:
Oakley Custom Radars- Best sports glasses. I wore them hitting against a 90+ mph fastball if that says anything
Oakley Team USA Radars- Same as above, but with a ‘Merican color scheme
Oakley Mag M-frames- Saw 300+ baseball games back in high school (8 years ago)
Ray-ban New wayfarers- Cheap and you can wear with a suit or with a swimsuit. The new style has a more modern lense angle. The RB2140s sit a bit more awkward.
Costa Del Mar Swordfishes- Best lenses of anything I've ever tried. Amazing fishing sunglasses, and amazing glasses overall.
Prada wire frames- Best overall build quality.
Gucci Wayfarers- A step above my Ray-bans
Ray-Ban Bubble Wrap Aviators- Great driving glasses
Ray-Ban Wire frame eye glasses

Average:
Ray-Ban RB4021P sport sunglasses- Very durable, but the lenses leave a lot to be desired
Ray-Ban Wayfarer eye glasses- Good, but everyone has them now
Oakley M-Frames- Had them for 10+ years. They’re good, but I like my Radars better

Worst purchases:
Oakley Ducati Gascans- cheaply made and everyone has them
Ray-Ban RB3478P- frame stem broke on me
Ray-Ban single lense aviators- douchey but were a gift from ex-gf
Halfjackets- lenses too small for sports
Carrera Single Lense aviators- the shittiest quality $100+ sunglasses I’ve ever owned. I thought they were fake at one point.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #166
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

I'm not sure if I have tried them or not, I haven't gone sunglass shopping in a while. The last pair I bought were Polarized Holbrooks. However, I can't wear them if I am active, I have them mostly for in the car or just any typical day because they have nothing to hold them firmly in place, but I love the amount of sun it deflects with the larger lens.

When I would run/bike/etc. I used to wear Flaks/Halfjackets because they would hold very well to my head which is huge, but like you said the lenses were just way too small.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #167
Xios135
First Lieutenant
Bouvet Island
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I used to wear Flaks/Halfjackets because they would hold very well to my head which is huge, but like you said the lenses were just way too small.
Quote:
Halfjackets- lenses too small for sports
Were you using the standard or XLJ lens shape? The XLJ are larger, more square. That's what I use.
      07-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #168
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Got some Oakley Juliets to add with my Pradas... Hehe.

They don't seriously still sell those do they? My Juliets are tossed in the garage and used as my lawn mowing glasses! (maybe I should rethink this)

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #169
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xios135 View Post
Were you using the standard or XLJ lens shape? The XLJ are larger, more square. That's what I use.
I have, but I don't know if its the shape of the lens, or the shape of my head, but they just looked really off. Now, if they had standard lenses but a little larger with the same form, I could probably pull that off.

I actually have a set of Flak frames with clear XJL lenses for work though, just because I needed the extra length of lens so I wouldn't need shrouds on the side.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #170
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
They don't seriously still sell those do they? My Juliets are tossed in the garage and used as my lawn mowing glasses! (maybe I should rethink this)
Nope. They discontinued it. If your Juliets are still in mint condition, which is unlikely, can be sold for $200+ still hehe.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #171
Xios135
First Lieutenant
Bouvet Island
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Got some Oakley Juliets to add with my Pradas... Hehe.

IMO.....Juliets are the best glasses Oakley has ever made. If you'd like to donate your mowing glasses to my collection, let me know.
      07-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #172
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

Which ever designer brand frame style I like then swap out the lenses with polarized anti-reflective lenses. Most Designer brand sunglass lenses are crap. Lens quality definitely goes to maui jims, revo, Serengeti, oakley, etc.

Did I also mention I owned an eyeglass store. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #173
wer11
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW5

have u heard the Brand of Panda ?i recently bought one ,seems rather col,wait a minute,i will upload a picture.
      08-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #174
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

just ordered these....

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #175
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

mosley tribes, oliver peoples, ray bans
      08-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #176
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
Which ever designer brand frame style I like then swap out the lenses with polarized anti-reflective lenses. Most Designer brand sunglass lenses are crap. Lens quality definitely goes to maui jims, revo, Serengeti, oakley, etc.

Did I also mention I owned an eyeglass store. lol
How do you leave out Costa Del Mar from that list?

While I would tend to agree that Costa Del Mar’s warranty and customer service leave a lot to be desired, I personally haven’t had to use either.

When I’m down at the coast, that’s pretty much all I see. 90% of tournament fishermen and professional guides are using them. Unfortunately, 95% of the frat boys at UT also wear them.
Appreciate 0