E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Need help, random unknown bulb keeps coming on

12-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (6MT)

Need help, random unknown bulb keeps coming on

Does anyone know what bulb sits behind the INNER RING on an E92?? It's a small yellowish bulb that randomly comes on sometimes; it's hideous and annoying when it comes on I'm not talking about the Angel Eye bulbs that feed the light tubes for the Angel Eyes. There is another small bulb behind the "Ribbed" glass.

It's not the low beam bulb's either because those sit behind the outter rings. Has anyone experienced this before? How can I fix this?

Last edited by Laid Black 335i; 12-28-2011 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
That would be the cornering lamp. It can be disabled via coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
They are cornering lights, and a safety feature. Disable through coding, but I don't see why you would want to do that since it doesn't stay on all the time--only when it's necessary. Change the bulb to a different temperature if you don't want the yellow color
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
That would be the cornering lamp. It can be disabled via coding.
Those are cornering lights? I did read the "Official E92 Bulb Code List" but these are not in the "corner" of the headlight housing. So if these are cornering lights, what is the bright orange light that always stays on in the corner of the headlight housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazmonkee View Post
They are cornering lights, and a safety feature. Disable through coding, but I don't see why you would want to do that since it doesn't stay on all the time--only when it's necessary. Change the bulb to a different temperature if you don't want the yellow color
I see... can you tell me why it comes on randomly at times now? It used to not come on at all.
      12-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
It shouldn't come on randomly. It should come on when you're in Reverse, when you signal for a turn (not changing lanes), or when your steering wheel is turned, don't quote me on this one, I believe more than 15 degrees left/right
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Black 335i View Post
Those are cornering lights? I did read the "Official E92 Bulb Code List" but these are not in the "corner" of the headlight housing. So if these are cornering lights, what is the bright orange light that always stays on in the corner of the headlight housing?
There's a bit of confusion because in this case, cornering means turning... they come on when you turn.

The orange LED at the corner is called a sidemarker.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
It shouldn't come on randomly. It should come on when you're in Reverse, when you signal for a turn (not changing lanes), or when your steering wheel is turned, don't quote me on this one, I believe more than 15 degrees left/right
Correct, that is when they come on. If you want to HID match the bulb, it's an H3 bulb.

I'd suggest a higher wattage bulb to compensate for the color coating on the bulb, like say, one of these bulbs:
5000K: http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nost2cowhh3t.html
7000K: http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nost2arwhh3t.html

They only use another 30 watts over the standard H3 bulb wattage (55-watts), and the bulbs don't stay on for very long, so I wouldn't worry about heat. If you're really worried, get one of their little mini ceramic wiring harnesses to help disperse the heat better around the factory connections.

And the orange light in the corner of your blinker is a sidemarker of sorts.

Any further questions, feel free to PM me or post here, and I'll try to get back to you quickly
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahh ok, I've noticed that they come on when I turn. I haven't noticed it when in reverse or when I have my turn signal on (I will proabbly experiment with it when I get off work today). It all makes sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
There's a bit of confusion because in this case, cornering means turning... they come on when you turn.

The orange LED at the corner is called a sidemarker.
Thanks for the clarification, LOL. This whole time I thought cornering lights were the sidemarkers due to it's location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Correct, that is when they come on. If you want to HID match the bulb, it's an H3 bulb.

I'd suggest a higher wattage bulb to compensate for the color coating on the bulb, like say, one of these bulbs:
5000K: http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nost2cowhh3t.html
7000K: http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nost2arwhh3t.html

They only use another 30 watts over the standard H3 bulb wattage (55-watts), and the bulbs don't stay on for very long, so I wouldn't worry about heat. If you're really worried, get one of their little mini ceramic wiring harnesses to help disperse the heat better around the factory connections.

And the orange light in the corner of your blinker is a sidemarker of sorts.

Any further questions, feel free to PM me or post here, and I'll try to get back to you quickly
Thanks for the input. I have D1S bulbs that are 6000K. Do they sell H3 bulbs in 6000K or only 5K / 7K? I would prefer to have them matching.
      12-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Black 335i View Post
Ahh ok, I've noticed that they come on when I turn. I haven't noticed it when in reverse or when I have my turn signal on (I will proabbly experiment with it when I get off work today). It all makes sense now.

Thanks for the clarification, LOL. This whole time I thought cornering lights were the sidemarkers due to it's location.

Thanks for the input. I have D1S bulbs that are 6000K. Do they sell H3 bulbs in 6000K or only 5K / 7K? I would prefer to have them matching.
I'd get the 7K bulbs for sure, it's impossible to get a halogen bulb to be the same icy white that a 6000K HID bulb is, but I have no doubt the 7K bulb will be a very close match. And considering they're not on all the time, if it's not a perfect match, but "close enough" it will be fine
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I assume from the pic you have OSS. Why didn't you just choose the LED cornering light option from Luis? Was it a matter of functionality?

I went with mtec 4750k Cosmo blues for my cornering and fogs when I had OSS, along with Philips 6000k. They seemed a great combo, and this is the setup typically recommended.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeFranco1 View Post
I assume from the pic you have OSS. Why didn't you just choose the LED cornering light option from Luis? Was it a matter of functionality?

I went with mtec 4750k Cosmo blues for my cornering and fogs when I had OSS, along with Philips 6000k. They seemed a great combo, and this is the setup typically recommended.
The car in the above pic is not mine.
      09-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
so what's the code to remove the error from that cornering light?