E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW Performance Suspension Install Question

10-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

BMW Performance Suspension Install Question

Finally got my new BMW Performance Suspension Kit installed yesterday with a lot of help and it went pretty smoothly except for the part where you have to tighten the nut on top of the front strut where it bolts to the top hat. You're supposed to have a special BMW tool which is basically a socket with the side cut out so you can fit an allen wrench inside it to hold the strut shaft while you tighten this nut and torque to spec. Well, I didn't have the tool so the only way we could tighten this nut without the strut shaft spinning was with an impact wrench. I read something that said don't use in impact wrench on this nut but I had no choice. Aside from having to guess at the final tourque, is there any other reason not to use an impact wrench on this nut? I kind of looked at how far the nut was screwed down onto the strut shaft on my old struts and judged it that way. Do I need to get this special bmw tool (or make a homemade one) and re-do this to proper torque specs or can I get by as is? I'm a little worried that too much pressure might be put on the top hat bearings if I overtightened that nut....

Also, the ride height was actually higher after the install than it was with my old sport suspension; will these springs settle about an inch or so?

Last edited by nikitino25; 10-16-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0