E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Is it wrong to ask a mechanic if he codes?

12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
rjrankin83
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Is it wrong to ask a mechanic if he codes?

May seem like a stupid question but I'm oblivious. I have to drop my car off to get the tires balanced so figured I may ask. I want the seat belt ding coded off, amber delete, and digital speedo. Would it be wrong of me to ask if the mechanic can do it?

FWIW certified BMW,Mercedes,VW, and Lexus mechanic (not a mom and pop place but not a dealer)

Still new to BMW and don't want to push any buttons at the mechanic when I'm sure I could find someone in Jax to do it for me.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrankin83 View Post
May seem like a stupid question but I'm oblivious. I have to drop my car off to get the tires balanced so figured I may ask. I want the seat belt ding coded off, amber delete, and digital speedo. Would it be wrong of me to ask if the mechanic can do it?

FWIW certified BMW,Mercedes,VW, and Lexus mechanic (not a mom and pop place but not a dealer)

Still new to BMW and don't want to push any buttons at the mechanic when I'm sure I could find someone in Jax to do it for me.

Thanks
It really depends on the mechanic. Most are good guys and will answer any questions without hesitation. There are the assholes out there but you really shouldn't be dealing with them in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Why would it be wrong. It's either he does or he doesn't. No harm done. I would ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328XI

its not like it is illegal or anything. if he gives you a hard time kick him in the balls and move on to a new mechanic
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
rjrankin83
Private
Rep

Asked him this morning and he said it's the first time something like that has been requested but he knows it can be done and will see what he can do. The only one I was worried about requesting was the seat belt ding. It's a law so I figured I might be pushing it there so didn't request it. I wear my seat belt but hate when you're going right around the corner and don't put it on
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
rjrankin83
Private
Rep

Just got a call from the mechanic saying they have the best software and have contacted a BMW tech and it's not possible on my car. Now I have to get it coded in someones garage and take it back to prove them wrong
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ijunkie View Post
^Lol. I offer to code all my customer cars lol
You are the man! Sad that some of these features are not already enabled for US cars..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i 6MT

I have a very similar question as to this, but am looking for some coding specifics. My uncle is a certified BMW mechanic and where I take my car. He says he can pay BMW $40 for a 24-hour access to all the coding stuff, and he'll let me sit there and do whatever I want to it. He hasn't coded anything specific himself as far as I know.

Is it safe to mess around in there? Should it be pretty easy to figure out what codes are the popular ones - i.e. corner delete, digital tach, etc. If anyone knows what are some good ones I should do please chime in. Or would it be better to save the $40 and buy a cable and code myself? TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

The best is when BMW dealerships tell you the same thing. "It's not possible on your car sir, you must upgrade XXXXXXXXXXXX"

^I'd say have someone who's done it before give it a try. If it works, its the first and last time you'll be needing to modify anything. I can't justify buying the cable and still having to learn on top of that.

I'd rather pay the guy who know's and make the job easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
rjrankin83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
The best is when BMW dealerships tell you the same thing. "It's not possible on your car sir, you must upgrade XXXXXXXXXXXX"

^I'd say have someone who's done it before give it a try. If it works, its the first and last time you'll be needing to modify anything. I can't justify buying the cable and still having to learn on top of that.

I'd rather pay the guy who know's and make the job easier.
Yeah I'm getting it done locally in someone's garage soon. Going to make it a point to stop by my local garage and point out that what I was requesting was/is possible. In there defense I live in a rather "old" community and the majority of their car's owners' are elderly and they haven't had a request like mine. They went off what their BMW rep told them so I won't hold it against them.

Also I'm a bit of a nerd and would love to learn to code myself however I gave up on Windows awhile ago and from what I can gather it's not available on OSX
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
BMVeh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

where are you located...a guy in coming to tampa in 2 days to code a bunch of us..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774784
      01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
rjrankin83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVeh View Post
where are you located...a guy in coming to tampa in 2 days to code a bunch of us..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774784
I'm in Jax but headed to Tampa tomorrow. I'm set though locally in Jax just have to wait until the 14th. Thanks though
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrankin83 View Post
Yeah I'm getting it done locally in someone's garage soon. Going to make it a point to stop by my local garage and point out that what I was requesting was/is possible. In there defense I live in a rather "old" community and the majority of their car's owners' are elderly and they haven't had a request like mine. They went off what their BMW rep told them so I won't hold it against them.

Also I'm a bit of a nerd and would love to learn to code myself however I gave up on Windows awhile ago and from what I can gather it's not available on OSX
NCS Expert isn;t available to work on OS X but if you run Parallel's on your Mac, and use Windows, you can achieve the same goal, but in my opinion its a bigger pain than its worth.

Using NCS Dummy on a windows PC is much much more straightforward because theres no formatting issues.

Even with running parallel's on a Mac, I've noticed that programs in Windows 7 can be glitchy.

I have picked up on some things about coding by watching others do it, but there's too much at stake for me to want to learn on my own.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i 6MT

Do the codes/interface using the official BMW computer program look the same as what is posted around here for coding? Anyone seen or used the official programmer?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
If you are coding at a BMW dealership, it's not going to look the same as the tools we are using here.It's a different program but unlike NCS Expert, its' idiot proof. I've helped BMW techs code their cars because they have no idea what NCS Expert is. I hope that answers some of your questions.
Appreciate 0