E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d powerloss issues

01-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
dkenny
Rep
Drives: 335d

335d powerloss issues

got a fault with my bmw 335d

long story short there was an intermittant power failure or loss of power from what feltv like the small turbo then after a while power would be regained and driveing as normal

the other day though i had a total loss in power and it just never came back!

after reading through a few posts i came to the conclusion that the vac pipes could be at fault and or the boost solenoids and that the have been superceded by a new part from bmw and that i need these!

iv since changed the vac pipes and still the power is none existant

before i order the new pair of boost solenoids i was just wondering if anyone else had had the same issue and that if fault code

4180 turbine control flap activation

means anything to any of you?

my thinking being that the small sensor under the pair of boost solenoids that the red vacpipe from the small turbo actuator could be at fault or basically is it definitely going to be the pair of boost solenoids at fault?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Have you had the fault codes checked out?
      01-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Small turbo runs out of puff at like 1200rpm so doubt it's that.

Prob boost hose issue
      01-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
dkenny
Rep

iv replaced all the vac pipes and iv had the main boost pipe off...the red one...give it a clean and checked all the seals and they look fine...after rerassembly checked the fault codes again and its 4180 turbine control flap activation
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Nickc123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport Coupe

Have you had a look at baldy's thread? Could it be the actuator?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
dkenny
Rep

no i havent...do you have the link?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Baldy
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenny View Post
no i havent...do you have the link?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637603
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Sounds exactly like the actuators

Vac pipes can cause issues and they do fray and split but not intermittently.

Get then replaced and I'm sure it will be back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
dkenny
Rep

so its not likely to be the solenoid valves at all and more likely the actuator? or a pair of actuators?

the problem was an intermittant loss of power or function friom the small turbo similar to the linked post but then the other day i had total loss of power

bearing in mind there are 3 actuators on the car...one for each turbo and one for the changeover flap

as im getting a dtc though does this not point more to an electrical fault as oppoised to a mechanical fault?

the actuators look like they will be a very awkward job to remove

is there anyway of testing the solenoid valves and the actuators whilst on the car?

gettin a bit peeved off with it now to say the least haha
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
dkenny
Rep

iv replaced every vac pipe on the actuator and solenoid control valves so boost leaks are not an issue and although i havent changed the seals on the red boost pipe i have removed it and inspected the seals and they appeared to be ok so i cannot see why there would be any issues there
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
dkenny
Rep

just had a look few a few more post

briers in this link

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601015

your saying actuators and pressure converters

just to clear this up and from previous experience and from what i know about turbos:-

an actuator controls the wastegate on a turbo or on a diesel it controlls the VNT's

the pressure converter or solenoid controls air bleed like an amal valve...in the linked post i you are talking about the pressure converters and not the actuators

just wanted to ask and make sure we are talking about the same parts as im a bit confused haha

the common fault on the 335d i understand is faulty pressure converters or otherwise known as solenoid valves and these are the parts that on real oem have been superceeded and need to be purchased in a pair with a new mounting bracket in order to cure the problems we have on our vehicles

from what i can gather...the actuators may seize up but i find this unlikely and the problem being more so down to an electrical component break down as opposed to a mechanical part breakdown

with the fault code i am getting...4180 turbine control flap activation i would also say this more so points the finger at the solenoid valves and not the actuators as only electrical faults are generally picked up on a diagnostic machine and not mechanical

iv replaced all the vac pipes...and although they did look a little perished and chaffed there were no slpits or obvious boost/vac leaks but i have now eliminated any chance of this happening anyway!

so briers just to clear this up lol

when you say

Sounds exactly like the actuators

Vac pipes can cause issues and they do fray and split but not intermittently.

Get then replaced and I'm sure it will be back to normal.

do you mean the boost solenoids or the actuators haha???

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
dkenny
Rep

?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

had 2 new "solenoids" on mine replaced 18months ago ( no power low down then takes off at 3k revs) They look a bit like very small black wheelie bins with 2 pipes sticking out at right anles at the top of them.

cost £650 at stratones - replaced both even though one had gone & all the piping which didnt look too good.

was told it was a "big" job - probably to justify price & probably would have been half at an Indy.

Last edited by jimmylad; 01-21-2012 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #14
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

What you have sounds very much like the pressure converters you describe that have to be replaced as a pair due to the replacement being a modified part. Mine failed earlier this year and car had no power, it had been a little intermittent for a short while before. I had mine done by an independent in Essex, they charged around 2 hours labour so not a huge job to do.

Out of interest they also described them as actuators, they are all ex BMW.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #15
dkenny
Rep

replaced the actuators

all seems well

power has been restored

not sure if it still semms a little bit flat of the bottom still but that maybe me just being paranoid about it

overall happy now and it was the boost solenoids or actuators but not to be confused with the mechanical actuators

thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #16
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

just of interest did you replace them your self?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #17
Buttons
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

the boost pipe problem seems common, quite concerning.

Is there a typical mileage that it seems to go at or does it depend how car is driven?
I am close to buying a '59 plate 49k car and this concerns me.
Car is coming from a BMw stealer so should come with a warranty of sorts but this doesn't seem to be a recognised BMW problem - correct me if I'm wrong.

I will be seeing the car again on Tues so will see if I can see oil on Red hose.

Been looking for 'the' 335d for quite some time now and now that I've finally found it, I'm nervous.....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

there is no set milege from what i have read/seen. when you go to check the car again have a look and point it out to the dealer that you want this being done should you purchase the car etc

from memory around 2009 thats when they updated the red boost pipe to have a slightly tighter fitting - in most cases dealers will only replace the seals on both end and not the whole pipe as the pipe is £££ and the seals are only £12.
the car you are going to see should have the updated pipe, I have replaced the boost pipe on mine with the updated one but yet still leaked until I did more research and found the cause to the pipe leaking oil is pressure built up due to the oil breather pipe not being replaced (even though BMW say later vortex type is lifetime) which is not imo. since I replaced the breather pipe, the red boost pipe has been ok
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Buttons don't let it put you off

Neither issue is major or that costly to fix and warranty would sort it out.

It would be more expensive to replacd a cracked alloy which is common to all older m-sport models running style 225
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
Buttons
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Thanks, fingers crossed it comes good......
Appreciate 0