E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help with New NavandTV2Go Install

07-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
gresh
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8iXdrive

Help with New NavandTV2Go Install

Ok, I have a 2006 325i with I-Drive. I am installing the NavandTV2Go per the post. I discovered that the wires are not the same. This must be an upgrade. The instructions that came with the product suck!! They tell you everything to plug up to the box, but dont tell you where in the car they connect.

The Red ACC and Ground I am good.
There is an Orange I-Drive wire - no clue where that connects
Grey Lamp-RV - I think this plugs to the reverse lamp, but where should I look for the wire in the car? the cable is only about a foot long, so I figure its either in the center console or in the dash.

The CAN Hi and Low wires - No clue where to connect those.

HELP!! Thanks

Gresh
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
gresh
Rep

NavandTV2Go install Done!!

I figured it out. The directions are horrible and the CAN Hi and Low are mislabled. Short of that, it works great!! The Menu button controls the video source. Excellent!!

Below are the steps I took:

1. The new NavandTV2Go for the E60/E90 is not the same as in the DIY post. The DIY is very good, but the new cables are not covered.

Remove the 2 screws that hold the Nav screen in the dash. These are Torx (Star) screws, so you will need a Torx driver.

Pull down and out on the top of the Nav screen. The screen will be held in by 2 cables. One has locking clip, the other does not. The cable WITHOUT the locking clip is the video in for the Nav unit. The other cable has the CAN Hi (the Green wire) and CAN Low (the Green with Orange stripe cable). You will be connecting the CAN Hi and Low to these a bit later.

Disconnect both cables for now and remove the Nav screen.

Per the instructions, you can connect the NavandTV2Go module at this point, but I decided to put it next to my radio, so I did the following:

Removed the wood trim with vents and starter button. Just unplug the cables. Pretty straightforward.

Removed the AC controls and Radio cover.

Removed the radio. The radio is held in by 4 philips head screws on the bottom. If you need to remove the gear shift to get the radio out, just pull up. I just shifted the car into drive.

Follow the isntructions to route the IR, Video Out and CAN cables

Connect the RED ACC to a switched power source. I used the center wire of the cigarette lighter. Works great.

Connect the BLACK GRND to a true grounding point (must be metal FRAME, not just metal).

Connect the CAN Hi to the Green wire from the Nav unit (the one from above)

Connect the CAN Low to the Green and Orange wire from the Nav unit

The Video cable that was unhooked from the Nav unit, will hook into the NavandTV2Go Video In.

The Cable coming from the NavandTV2Go Video Out will connect to the Nav unit in the place where the previous Video cable was.

Thats it for cabling. Put it all back together and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
glad you were able to figure it out. this mod is one of my favorites.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
gresh
Rep

Yeah, it went pretty easily, though a bit scarry when I realized the wires were different.
Appreciate 0