E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 E90 335 with so many problems, what else can I expect? Is this "normal"?

01-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Sounds like the OP got a lemon. I bought my 07 335i at 37k miles 2.5 years ago, and no real problems so far at 60k. HPFP recall and a broken front passenger door lock, that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #24
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: hot rod

not a lemon. plugs, injectors, coil packs, gaskets, bearings, etc - all those things can and do go in any car.
if you can do most of that work yourself, then it's not much more than wear and tear, and an annoyance. cost on those is minimal.
OP saved cash by buying pre-owned w/o a warranty. some of that savings will inevitably go back into the car.
if his replacement list was the worst that could happen i'd buy and drive the 335 all day long compared to others...
i'm more afraid of turbos, cam bearing ledge, trans leak, water pump/thermo...

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is View Post
So, the savings of $5k of the 328 over 335 will allow you to buy a house???
Then, you put $6k in mods into your 328 and made it more expensive than the 335 in the first place...
Did you also get a house on top of it?
+1

Mods decrease the value of your car, even if you take them off and sell them when you sell your car, you will still be out at least half of that $6k. You would have been better off with a 335 to start with.
Not in the case of DINAN. It actually increases the car's value, in many cases. But you're right, most mods do.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
koss2010
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad335 View Post
I purchased a new, early build, 2007 E90, and after 5 yrs and 40k, replaced 4 HPFP's, a LPFP, all fuel injectors, vanos solenoid, plugs and coil packs, and retrofitted an oil cooler because of high engine oil temps. My turbos whistled like police sirens on cold starts, too, but the dealer continually maintained they couldn't replicate the problem. My solution was to hire an attorney and sue BMWNA.

Nine months later my dumb ass purchased another 335
Lol did you actually win the case ?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
BavarianBuilt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2000 328ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsrbetter View Post
not a lemon. plugs, injectors, coil packs, gaskets, bearings, etc - all those things can and do go in any car.
if you can do most of that work yourself, then it's not much more than wear and tear, and an annoyance. cost on those is minimal.
OP saved cash by buying pre-owned w/o a warranty. some of that savings will inevitably go back into the car.
if his replacement list was the worst that could happen i'd buy and drive the 335 all day long compared to others...
i'm more afraid of turbos, cam bearing ledge, trans leak, water pump/thermo...
Well, the idea when purchasing this car was that I would try and do as much work as I could myself. Given the complexity of the fuel injectors, I actually had those done at the dealer They also had to program my new xenon control unit for the adaptive xenons. The wheel bearing also had to be done at a shop, after I purchased the parts myself of course. I'm going to install the lock actuators myself this weekend.

Thanks all for your replys. I'm so torn on this car. I've never had a car cause me so much headache. When it's working without problem, I absolutely love it. It's a manual with sports package and staggered 162s, the thing is an absolute blast to drive.

If these are the only little things I have to deal with, then that's fine, maybe. I'm thinking along the lines of even bigger headaches like turbo problems, engine/transmission problems, subframe (see E46), etc.

I've actually been looking at maybe replacing it with an E46 ZHP, or a brand new Jetta GLI. Something I know I can fix, or something with warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #28
koss2010
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBuilt View Post
Well, the idea when purchasing this car was that I would try and do as much work as I could myself. Given the complexity of the fuel injectors, I actually had those done at the dealer They also had to program my new xenon control unit for the adaptive xenons. The wheel bearing also had to be done at a shop, after I purchased the parts myself of course. I'm going to install the lock actuators myself this weekend.

Thanks all for your replys. I'm so torn on this car. I've never had a car cause me so much headache. When it's working without problem, I absolutely love it. It's a manual with sports package and staggered 162s, the thing is an absolute blast to drive.

If these are the only little things I have to deal with, then that's fine, maybe. I'm thinking along the lines of even bigger headaches like turbo problems, engine/transmission problems, subframe (see E46), etc.

I've actually been looking at maybe replacing it with an E46 ZHP, or a brand new Jetta GLI. Something I know I can fix, or something with warranty.

{retty sure the thermostat/water pump is a known problem with those cars too. Just a heads up
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Well, your turbos are covered to 85k so don't worry too much about them. They'll need to be replaced before then, but it won't be on your dime.

I bought my 335 9 months ago and have had the exact opposite experience. Had the turbos replaced in the last week of comprehensive warranty (literally picked the car up from the deal after it expired). No issues at all. I'm starting to get an intermittent bulb out indicator and dot seem to have a bulb out which sucks, but it could be worse. It's probably my AEs anyway.

Good luck. The most important thing with these cars seems to be getting a good one. I reviewed every service record before buying and there wasn't any weird issues.

I vote to fix it, then sell it, then buy a new BMW. Don't let this experience turn you off to the 335 though

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
BavarianBuilt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koss2010 View Post
{retty sure the thermostat/water pump is a known problem with those cars too. Just a heads up
These are just par for the course with BMWs. Unless, of course, the E90 has some intricate thermostat and waterpump. Do you have a link to any DIY information on these items?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
Well, your turbos are covered to 85k so don't worry too much about them. They'll need to be replaced before then, but it won't be on your dime.

I bought my 335 9 months ago and have had the exact opposite experience. Had the turbos replaced in the last week of comprehensive warranty (literally picked the car up from the deal after it expired). No issues at all. I'm starting to get an intermittent bulb out indicator and dot seem to have a bulb out which sucks, but it could be worse. It's probably my AEs anyway.

Good luck. The most important thing with these cars seems to be getting a good one. I reviewed every service record before buying and there wasn't any weird issues.

I vote to fix it, then sell it, then buy a new BMW. Don't let this experience turn you off to the 335 though
Thanks for the encouragement. Do you have any further information on the turbos being covered up until 85k miles? I don't recall that I've heard this before.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koss2010 View Post
Lol did you actually win the case ?
Yes

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

No issues and mine was a 3/07 build I picked up in Munich. Nothing but BMW maintenance for the reprogramming and HPFP which was not an issue either for me. Glove box solenoid failed and that is it. Nothing else but I don't do BMW oil changes nor do I believe in "lifetime" fluids since I own the car and BMW doesn't and doesn't stand behind a transmission failure with "lifetime" fluid.
Water pump and tstat doesn't seem to be an issue either. Yes some fail at 50-70K miles but most do not. I keep a new water pump in my trunk because of where I live. If it fails I will replace it but if not I am good to go. There are members on here that have over 200K on their 2007 335 with one waterpump and tstat replacement and one intake valve cleaning. I don't consider that to be a problem car.
This is a forum where most people come to brag or complain so keep that in mind when reading posts. If the 335 was such a problem BMW would have dropped it long ago.

I hope the OP has better success down the road but turbos warranted to 8 years/ 82K miles to include waste gates and HPFP for 10 years and 120K miles is a pretty good deal...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #33
NathanOfSeattle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX Giga World

Quote:
I purchased my 2007 E90 335 nine months ago. It only had 45k miles on it, but was out of warranty. Immaculate car, very well maintained. I figured I'd give an E90 a shot given I had been working on my E46 for the past ten years, I thought I had seen it all. The problems I've had with this car since owning it are literally starting to become comical. I've never had so many problems in such a short period of time. Since buying the car I've replaced three fuel injectors, three spark plugs, a rear wheel bearing, a xenon control unit, blown front endlinks, and now I'm working on replacing the driver's and passenger's door lock actuators. This doesn't include maintenance items likes oil changes and a coolant flush, and a recalled HPFP and software. I'm also currently throwing vanos solenoid codes.

I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of this car before I get too much further in. What else can I expect from this car? What are some other very common problems? Do these nuances go away?

I only have 55k miles on it now, but I don't know how much longer my wallet and blood pressure will last on this car.
Wow stories like this scare me. Did your car possibly have some flood or rebuilt title on it? I have the exact same car with the same miles. So far so good. And previous owner reported everything was fine too.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Karbon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

It's well known in the car world that the first 1-2 model years for ANY car on the road are the most problematic. It's simply because no manufacturer can test a thousand cars for 5 years in the real world before they sell them to the masses (though that would be awesome, no?). They do what tests they can but something always goes wrong somewhere.

Every car has common problems to that model or that brand.

That being said... It also seems that the previous owner of your car may not have taken very good care of it. Do you have all the records to verify proper maintainence was done? Did the PO drive it like a race car and beat it all to hell?

It sucks that this happend to you and I feel for you but i'm just wondering about the history about that car. It's totally possible you just got a lemon and the previous owner dumped it when the warranty ran out.

Hopefully things work out for you!

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #35
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

My 08 335i had a few problems...such as replacing all the fuel injectors, HPFP, and those stupid squeaky brakes. Overall, it never left me stranded and BMW did take care of it all with the Warranty and CPO Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
rkv3434
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
These are just par for the course with BMWs. Unless, of course, the E90 has some intricate thermostat and waterpump. Do you have a link to any DIY information on these items?

Thanks for the encouragement. Do you have any further information on the turbos being covered up until 85k miles? I don't recall that I've heard this before.

Here's a couple of DIYs for the water pump/thermostat. Costs around $550 for parts. I'll be attempting this repair Saturday. Mine died yesterday on the way to work (90k miles).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248187
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347412
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #37
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

welcome to the club, if there are no cel's just trade it in and walk away
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #38
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

the petrol 335 is known for a lot of faults, your best thing to do is to get shot of that lemon
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #39
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I tell people all the time this is an expensive car to own but when you look at what else you can get for the same money nothing is even close to as fun to drive so its actually a decent value despite the high maintenance costs. I have an 07 335i with 45k on it. I love it to death. I've replaced the HPFP twice, waterpump/thermostat once. Control arm bushings are bad now so that'll be done in the next few weeks. Basically all of the usual suspects. Still love it, no regrets owning it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Like a few have said the first two years of most production cars will have a few faults (f30). My theory is most bugs should be worked out in the final years of production, we are not hearing as many complaints from years 10 and up on the e9x. If it is possible get a new one... and if its a lemon its BMW's problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #41
BavarianBuilt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Add to the list Adaptive Xenon failure today. Bye bye E90. And BMW, for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post

u can use the stalk to get the code and see which bulb is out. also there's a tsb for some 09 335's where the car throws bulb out errors even though there are none, requires some software upgrade to fix...that could be it too.
Appreciate 0