E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Kenwood headunit will not power up?

07-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Kenwood headunit will not power up?

I honestly hate to post something that seems like it's so simple. I installed my Kenwood DNX570HD in a 2007 335i with HIFI sound system.

Red blinking LED on front was going, but nothing would fire up. This tells me that I have constant power and ground, but no remote power to turn the unit on.

I pulled it out, checked my harness for any shorts with an Ohm meter. Then also checked for good continuity in all my power and ground wires. Everything checked fine. I also checked the fuse on the back of the head unit since everything seemed fine in my harness.

Re-installed the stock headunit and it operates fine, so I obviously have remote power up to the cars stock harness.

This indicated to me that the headunit was toast, I emailed the place I bought it, told them what I did and what I checked, they agreed it was probably no good, so I shipped it back for warranty. The store checked it themselves and they claim it is operating fine, so it is now being shipped back.

So WTF could be holding me out here??

I am using the Metra harness which is all soldered to the Kenwood harness. I also have the Axxess AWSC unit T'd into my solder points. As well as the relocation harness to put my stock headunit in the glovebox/trunk.

Any ideas?? Cause I feel retarded right now. This certainly isn't my first rodeo, and I have never had an issue like this on any other installs I've done.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Did you look at this?

Did you look at this?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=head+unit
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Yup. That's how I confirmed my wiring before even pulling out my solder gun.

BUT. I am reading it again, and it says ACC power from Cig. lighter. I know there is no true constant power in the vehicle harness. But is there also no switched power source in the harness either?? I guess that would make sense as far as why my unti wouldn't fire up. But why in the hell would there be a wire for switched power on the car harness, but no actual power there?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

In the diagram he finds a constant 12 on the Fuse board.

Yellow wire going to fuse holder board.
And I notice it bypasses the harness.
(So you have to run a independent constant 12 volt line, did you do that?)
You might also note the harness does not tap the low level
signals that the amp needs after I pointed that out to him he did
something to correct it.

Last edited by ctuna; 07-17-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
When I first had my aftermarket HU installed (using a Metra harness), the switched power would only work when the car was "on" (engine didn't need to be running, but I had to push the start/stop button).
I've since re-wired it so that the switched power comes on as soon as I insert the key into the slot, but the Metra harness did not work that way out of the box, needed to run a separate switched wire to somewhere under the steering column.

Did you check to see if your Kenwood powers up if you turn the car on?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Yellow wire going to fuse holder board.
And I notice it bypasses the harness.
(So you have to run a independent constant 12 volt line, did you do that?)
You might also note the harness does not tap the low level
signals that the amp needs after I pointed that out to him he did
something to correct it.
You only need a constant to a fuse if you want your radio presets to store. The harness should still have constant 12v for an hour or so after shutting down the vehicle. I will run this once the unit will actually power up.

The amp doesn't need to see low levels to function. But it might distort at higher volumes without those low level inputs anymore. Either way, the head unit itself will not fire up, so it's not sending any signals at all to the amp currently.

Once I get my stereo back I will try running the switched 12v off the cig. lighter and see if that works. I'm still confused as to why there would be no switched 12v in the harness? And if there isn't why isn't it mentioned in any of the posts around here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
When I first had my aftermarket HU installed (using a Metra harness), the switched power would only work when the car was "on" (engine didn't need to be running, but I had to push the start/stop button).
I've since re-wired it so that the switched power comes on as soon as I insert the key into the slot, but the Metra harness did not work that way out of the box, needed to run a separate switched wire to somewhere under the steering column.

Did you check to see if your Kenwood powers up if you turn the car on?
Checked with key in, start button pushed, car running, etc. Nothing worked.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Uzy320i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i m sport

Problems!

Hey guys new to this, iv installed an aftermarket HU into my e90 but it wont turn off when key is removed, and when i turn it on , it has reset to factory settings, iv read the threads about a constant 12V will this solve my problem? Thanks
Appreciate 0