E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW CODING success

11-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #3565
mortyx10
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 745i

Hello guys
Is it okay to code the whole car? for example I want to change a value but I dont know which module to look for. then I search the car backup which contains all modules and then just change that desired value and then "process car" instead of "process ecu".
would it take much longer? or it just codes the changed values?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #3566
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortyx10 View Post
Hello guys
Is it okay to code the whole car? for example I want to change a value but I dont know which module to look for. then I search the car backup which contains all modules and then just change that desired value and then "process car" instead of "process ecu".
would it take much longer? or it just codes the changed values?
Thanks
That is very dangerous and has been known to fail rather frequently and even brick cars in some cases -- and yes it does take several minutes. Typically the only reason you'd use Process Car is if you're modifying your VO for a part retrofit (or to avoid errors after removing something) or after you've hosed yourself up and are just trying to get back to a hopefully known good state. Doing it just to code an option is killing a fly with a bazooka.

If the option doesn't exist in any modules the first thing is to make sure you're running sufficiently new daten. If you are, then the next most likely reason is because the option in question isn't valid for your particular car. The full trace contains every option that's available for every car supported by the version of the software installed on your car, but the fact that the option is there doesn't mean that your specific model with your specific option package supports it.

What's the option you're after?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #3567
mortyx10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
That is very dangerous and has been known to fail rather frequently and even brick cars in some cases -- and yes it does take several minutes. Typically the only reason you'd use Process Car is if you're modifying your VO for a part retrofit (or to avoid errors after removing something) or after you've hosed yourself up and are just trying to get back to a hopefully known good state. Doing it just to code an option is killing a fly with a bazooka.

If the option doesn't exist in any modules the first thing is to make sure you're running sufficiently new daten. If you are, then the next most likely reason is because the option in question isn't valid for your particular car. The full trace contains every option that's available for every car supported by the version of the software installed on your car, but the fact that the option is there doesn't mean that your specific model with your specific option package supports it.

What's the option you're after?
Thanks for your complete answer.
I'm trying to enable mp3 on my e65...the codes floating around are not for e65, actually we dont have cappl, but I can find one MP3 and one MP3_FOND lines, both nicht_aktiv. would you have any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #3568
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortyx10 View Post
Thanks for your complete answer.
I'm trying to enable mp3 on my e65...the codes floating around are not for e65, actually we dont have cappl, but I can find one MP3 and one MP3_FOND lines, both nicht_aktiv. would you have any thoughts?
I'm not familiar with the E65, but I'm guessing your scenario falls into the latter category of you having a version of BMW's software that technically supports it but your specific car doesn't for whatever reason. Whether that's due to an actual hardware limitation somewhere or an arbitrary feature block from BMW I don't know, but I definitely wouldn't recommend doing a full car code to find out.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #3569
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

^Exactly. Just because functions are found in the FULL trace file does NOT mean it is supported. Please don't use the code car function in the manipulate profile. Only for returning to factory defaults in expert mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #3570
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Anyone familiar with coding a ued FRM2 module ? I found a few write up's but doesn't appear the my version of WinKFP is correct

Quote:

Before Oct 2006 our E60 cars were fixed with an LM1, after that the LM2 was introduced which has a lot of more functions.

I managed to find an LM2 quite cheap from a breaker. Remember that there are various part numbers depending on what lights you have but in the LM2 there are basically two versions one for Xenons and the other Halogens.

These are the steps that I followed to swap the LCM.

1. The actual swap is very straight forward and just involves removing the screw holding the LCM and pulling downward. There is only 1 screw holding the LCM, the other side is held by a metal catch.
2. Next I had to reprogram the LCM. The LCM is the other module in the car that holds the VO, the other being the CAS.
3. Load NCSExpert and choose the CAS and then choose "Enter FA", just copy the complete VIN number that pops up. Close NCSExpert.
4. Load INPA and check the "Ident" of the LMA module and check the part number there. Note that down. Close INPA.
5. Load WinKFP and choose "Comfort Mode", "Choose ZUSB", in the ECU family choose LM460 and make sure that the part number that you took down in Step 4 shows up on the ZB-Number list, other choose another ECU family. Click cancel and then choose "Update ZUSB" and choose LM460 and click OK. Next click "Enter Vin" and enter the VIN number that you copied in Step 3. Click "Done". You will now see a "Prog ZB-Update", cick that. The module will start getting coded and the UIF will be written, which means that the VIN will have been updated. Close WinKFP.
6. Load NCSExpert and then choose the CAS and then using the "FA_WRITE" job process the LMA ECU. Basically what this does is copies the VO from the CAS to the LMA.
7. When you start NCSexpert and instead of choosing CAS you choose LMA you will notice that the old VIN number still loads. This was a big mystery to me because everywhere I could see my VIN instead of the old VIN in the UIF but yet NCSExpert seemed to find it somewhere. Perform a "Read ECU" and note down the .prg file that NCS is using for the LM2. Close NCSExpert.
8. To fix this load Tool32 and load up the .prg file that you noted in Step 7. (my first time using Tool32 btw)
9. Here using trial and error I found a job called "read_fgvin", which when run showed me the old VIN. I then loaded up the job "write_fgvin" which requires one argument and I supplied the VIN noted in Step 3. I ran the job and then when I ran "read_fgvin" again I saw my VIN.
10. Checked this in NCSexpert again and it was my VIN. Makes me think that I didn't need to run Step 5 (WinKFP) at all to update the VIN because the software on the LM2 was already the most recent. Anyway doing that made INPA detect the correct VIN on my LM2 as previously it was just reporting "yyyyyyy" instead of a VIN number.
11. Load NCSexpert "Expert Profile" with a blank .man file and just process the LMA ecu again, this will code the LMA to the new VO.
I make it to step 4 and thats it
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #3571
mortyx10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I'm not familiar with the E65, but I'm guessing your scenario falls into the latter category of you having a version of BMW's software that technically supports it but your specific car doesn't for whatever reason. Whether that's due to an actual hardware limitation somewhere or an arbitrary feature block from BMW I don't know, but I definitely wouldn't recommend doing a full car code to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant@DetailAddict View Post
^Exactly. Just because functions are found in the FULL trace file does NOT mean it is supported. Please don't use the code car function in the manipulate profile. Only for returning to factory defaults in expert mode.
Okay thank you guys
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #3572
mutechaos
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

great job, thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #3573
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Is there a tranlation list for all these contractions

Like which is hardware and which is software.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #3574
vadim77
Rep
Drives: 318i

[QUOTE=Mike Benvo;9054701]Anyone have any ideas to disable the clutch when starting?

There is ANLASSSPERRE_BLS which translates to "Block Start - Brake Light Switch"

On manual cars this is disabled because you use the clutch. On automatic cars and DCT cars it is set to active.

On an automatic car if you disable it the ignition never fully turns off. So this may have to be removed from the spreadsheet.

However, when setting this to active on a manual car - you must press the brake AND clutch to start the car. This means that there is some other related function on automatic/DCT cars.

I was able to find ANLASSERSPERRE_KPS which I assume is "block start clutch pedal switch" and it is set to active on my 08 M3 6MT. However, setting it to disabled doesn't have any effect - I still have to press the clutch to start the car.

Any ideas?

Did you try together with ANLASSERSPERRE_P? or another function in sum?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #3575
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Any coders around Kop pa?
      11-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #3576
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Okay, i'm pretty sure i'm the millionth person to ask... but just to be sure i'm getting the right product (because the link in the OP is broken)

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

or is there one on ebay someone has bought from there and tested and KNOWS it works? If i'm going to invest in this $100 piece of hardware and only use it maybe for a week's worth of coding, it should be the right one...

My car is 2006 325i E90

a PM is fine, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #3577
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
Okay, i'm pretty sure i'm the millionth person to ask... but just to be sure i'm getting the right product (because the link in the OP is broken)

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

or is there one on ebay someone has bought from there and tested and KNOWS it works? If i'm going to invest in this $100 piece of hardware and only use it maybe for a week's worth of coding, it should be the right one...

My car is 2006 325i E90

a PM is fine, thanks!
That'll work, though last time I heard you could buy from the same seller via eBay and offer $90: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-Edi...item2567eb0889

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #3578
BimmerChuck
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Thanks for all the great info. I received my cable today and programmed all the features I wanted, well most anyways.

Now for a question...I don't suppose there is anyway to see the battery voltage is there? That sure would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #3579
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerChuck View Post
Thanks for all the great info. I received my cable today and programmed all the features I wanted, well most anyways.

Now for a question...I don't suppose there is anyway to see the battery voltage is there? That sure would be nice.
... not to mention oil or coolant temp would be nice too!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #3580
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^Not possible. Sorry guys. Been asked plenty of times before.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #3581
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Guess I'll try asking it here. What is the correct function to do the corner delete on a 2006 e90 with aftermarket LED AE Halogens? I attempted to use the SIDERMARKER_US function and that did not work.

Last edited by Snyperx; 11-24-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #3582
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Guess I'll try asking it here. What is the correct function to do the corner delete on a 2006 e90 with aftermarket LED AE Halogens? I attempted to use the SIDERMARKER_US function and that did not work.
check for any of the US variants of the option such as SIDEMARKER_US_NFRM or SIDEMARKER_US_NF or SIDEMARKER_US_MIT_FRA_V
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #3583
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
check for any of the US variants of the option such as SIDEMARKER_US_NFRM or SIDEMARKER_US_NF or SIDEMARKER_US_MIT_FRA_V
I do not have the NFRM module since I have an early build e90. The only value I could find in my FRM module was the SIDEMARKER_US funtion which did not work as I stated earlier. Any other suggestions? I appreciate the response.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #3584
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
I do not have the NFRM module since I have an early build e90. The only value I could find in my FRM module was the SIDEMARKER_US funtion which did not work as I stated earlier. Any other suggestions? I appreciate the response.
Check the spreadsheet linked in the very first post of this thread. It has a lot of possible values for this in your FRM/NFRM module listed under Corner LED Delete.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #3585
BimmerChuck
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

I have an 07 E90 (09/2006 Prod date). I tried to program my lights to come on with the alarm unlocking. It is not in the FRM module. I found the WL_* values in my initial backup priot to starting any of the proramming. Is the spreadsheet wrong, or are some (mine included) have those program settings in a different module? If so, came someone tell me which one please? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #3586
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerChuck View Post
I have an 07 E90 (09/2006 Prod date). I tried to program my lights to come on with the alarm unlocking. It is not in the FRM module. I found the WL_* values in my initial backup priot to starting any of the proramming. Is the spreadsheet wrong, or are some (mine included) have those program settings in a different module? If so, came someone tell me which one please? Thanks!
The fact that the option appears in the full car trace just means that the version of the software installed in your car supports it. It does NOT mean that your specific model with your specific option package supports it; BMW just uses the same software across lots of models in its line for simplicity. You might also find options in your full car trace that only apply to an X5, for example. If it doesn't appear in the FRM module on your car, then you can try updating your daten, but if it still doesn't appear it's because your car doesn't support it. It wouldn't be anywhere else.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0