E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Aftermarket Head Unit - Help Please

05-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
mattmilsom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

E90 Aftermarket Head Unit - Help Please

Hi, I’m after some help with fitting an aftermarket head unit to my 2006 E90.

Apologies, as I know this is often asked and I have spent days trying to find the answer from other posts.

The car is non i-drive, no Bluetooth or nav, fitted with BMW professional radio. Standard speaker system – hence why I want to change.

I have bought an Alpine CDE-113BT head unit.
I have also bought an autoleads PP99-X85 canbus steering wheel adaptor with Alpine patch lead and Connect 2 CTRBM001 Reverse sensor interface.
I have also had to buy an antenna adaptor (Fakra to ISO) PC5-101.

With everything connected up, the unit powers up fine with reinstated reverse tone and no dash warnings, but I’m having several issues:

Firstly, I can’t get any reception on the tuner – it’s as if the antenna isn’t even plugged in.

Secondly the steering wheel controls don’t work, despite the adaptor.

Thirdly with so much wiring, it won’t all fit in the space!

Does anybody have any idea why this isn’t all working? Does the E90 have a powered antenna? (I haven’t got a sharkfin). Having trawled the ‘net for answers I thought it would all be sorted provided the unit powered up alright.

Are there any other harness adaptors that would correct the problems I’m having? Has anybody had any success with this sort of setup? What about this adaptor: CTSBM005 / CTRBM005.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ctsb...l-adaptor.html

Any help/ advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Pons1012
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi

good luck Matt, What dash kit did you use?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
mattmilsom
Rep

It's an Autoleads one, think its model number is FP-06-06. Fits well and doesn't look too bad either.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Mark06
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330i

Do you want to change the head unit because you want bluetooth and navi or just for better sound? If its just about sound then leave the stock head unit. That way you don't loose SOS. Also JUST replacing the head unit won't make that much of a difference unless you do speakers and amp as well.
      05-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
I'm not sure I agree as I fitted amps to my base audio model and it sound sloads better, so a higher powered HU should improve sound.

Re the OP, sound like a remote power issue as the aerial has its own amp and its possible that the steering controls also need power, both via a +12v remote wire. This is usually in the auto leads harness though, so I would check compatibility, otherwise you'll need to find a diagram of the cars wiring to find the aerial amp and manually hook up a supply.
      05-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
mattmilsom
Rep

For anybody else looking to try this – it is indeed possible.

I bought the Connects 2 BM005 can-bus adapter, as the autoleads one was not working – despite autoleads claims that it was. The autoleads adapter was also missing the power antenna lead required to make the antenna work. Combined with the reverse can-bus adapter to retain the reversing sensor sounds.

So having removed the BMW professional headunit – very easy. DIY can be found here - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9390
This DIY will work on the auto A/C (despite the comments in the thread). Simply use an old credit card to push in between the radio and a/c and bend the a/c panel until you can see the 2 indentations along the top edge. Then use a small/thin flat end screwdriver to lever the a/c out – it will just pop out easily without damage.

I installed an alpine headunit and the only issue that I had was that it needed a separate permanent 12v power supply. The harness adapter had such a lead, that the instructions suggested inserting into an empty fuse socket behind the glove box. This didn’t work and I ended up taking a wire under the door sill trim and rear seats to the battery in the boot. Although a bit of a pain to do, was definitely worth it in the end.

I now have a perfectly working radio with Bluetooth and a direct iPod connection, all of which I can control from the steering wheel, and all for substantially less than the OEM retrofit options!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Uzy320i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i m sport

Problem

Hey guys new to this, iv installed an aftermarket HU into my e90 but it wont turn off when key is removed, and when i turn it on , it has reset to factory settings, iv read the threads about a constant 12V will this solve my problem? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Look at this thread and try search = head unit

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894348
Appreciate 0