E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Open Flash Tablet Review - came from JB4

09-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #89
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
Plus a laptop, plus a learning curve on how to piece it all together, plus little to no vendor support, plus the risk of making mistakes in the process.. its not for everyone.
Be interesting to see who does not have a laptop that is running a JB4/ISO. No lap top no Firmware updates, no current Interface program & no logs to see what is going on with the motor. Running a tune with out using a logging function is risky & pretty dumb. Even people running the old version of the JB4 like you were needed a laptop for it to be setup properly, didn't you have a BMS interface cable for your laptop?

Additionally, a number of special JB4/ISO features need a laptop to be set up. Be pretty dumb to try to use a JB4/ISO without a laptop.

Finally, If the BT tool is to complex for someone to use it might be a good plan for them to stay stock or pay someone to do the install.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-07-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #90
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport black edition

Garage List
I've been running with all things Vishnu since I bought my 335i and have been very happy to date. I'm patiently waiting for my OFT to arrive to see how the stacking of procede and OFT will benefit my performance.

I'll try and write up my experiences as a novice when installing the OFT maps which may help some of you guys

The fact is that although there are OFT maps available to download you can create your own with the help of a pro tuner. I'd like to see a dedicated forum spring up to support this and maybe people can create and donate their maps to a map library along with user ratings and reviews on maps (just ideas)

It means shiv can create maps for our cars as well as learn from other tuners etc

More participants the better things become

BTW great to see no bitching on this thread, finally!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #91
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
So - is the general view (of those that have / had JB4) that the OFT is now the way forward ?
There seem to be people who have tried both and switched such as OP, but in my opinion a tune is a tune and despite of slight differences and personal preferences most won't gain much by switching tunes. So, in my opinion OpenFlash tablet is a great option for those who don't have a tune yet. Convenience and good power.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #92
tampaturbom3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

I'm not sure if I agree with your statement: "in my opinion a tune is a tune... most won't gain much by switching" because I was running Procede Map 1 on 93 and Map 2 on a 60/40 mix of 93/e85 and the OFT seems to have a lot more power in the lower rpms. I don't have any measured data,,, only the butt dyno, but it's much more responsive... even my wife noticed today and was asking me how much HP the car had because she felt that it had more "oompf".
      09-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #93
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
I wouldnt say that, i had the OFT and just recently sold it and bought a jb4..
Not saying you're wrong, but coming from piggy back and going OFT I also wasn't impressed until I started tuning the OFT to hit higher timing and load. Now I can't see myself going back to a piggy back as the performance is very consistent and I have no issues with limp like I had with the piggy back. Lots of changes to come with the OFT which should make it much easier to tune with. I personally think you should have kept it a few months longer. Regardless, enjoy the JB.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #94
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N111CUK View Post
I've been running with all things Vishnu since I bought my 335i and have been very happy to date. I'm patiently waiting for my OFT to arrive to see how the stacking of procede and OFT will benefit my performance.

I'll try and write up my experiences as a novice when installing the OFT maps which may help some of you guys

The fact is that although there are OFT maps available to download you can create your own with the help of a pro tuner. I'd like to see a dedicated forum spring up to support this and maybe people can create and donate their maps to a map library along with user ratings and reviews on maps (just ideas)

It means shiv can create maps for our cars as well as learn from other tuners etc

More participants the better things become

BTW great to see no bitching on this thread, finally!
You'll be happy to know I'm running a very aggressive OFT map. Granted, it still needs some WGDC map changes, but for the most part it runs very well.

http://www.datazap.me/u/wedge/open-f...ap?1-2-3-5-6-7

Once I get the bumps worked at 3k and open up the top end so I'm hitting target, I'll run it over and have it dyno'd just to see were I'm at as to where I was with PROcede.

I'm also running Aquamist HFS-4 and 30% e85, so that's why I'm able to target 13 to 15 deg timing. As for AFRs, I've never seen my AFRs this spot on before.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you want to take it offline, shoot me an email to WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #95
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but coming from piggy back and going OFT I also wasn't impressed until I started tuning the OFT to hit higher timing and load. Now I can't see myself going back to a piggy back as the performance is very consistent and I have no issues with limp like I had with the piggy back. Lots of changes to come with the OFT which should make it much easier to tune with. I personally think you should have kept it a few months longer. Regardless, enjoy the JB.
i completely get what your saying and i agree but where im at right now and the way my car was running with the tablet was frustrating and i felt i needed to make a change because the car would run fine when i flashed it back to stock.. i figure give JB a try and down the road re-invest in the tablet to use for the bms backend flash and then ill bypass the JB to map 0 and load up the new vishnu ots maps to see if the newer maps agree a little more with my car.. i dont mind a little experimenting to find the best options and solutions
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #96
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i completely get what your saying and i agree but where im at right now and the way my car was running with the tablet was frustrating and i felt i needed to make a change because the car would run fine when i flashed it back to stock.. i figure give JB a try and down the road re-invest in the tablet to use for the bms backend flash and then ill bypass the JB to map 0 and load up the new vishnu ots maps to see if the newer maps agree a little more with my car.. i dont mind a little experimenting to find the best options and solutions

Yeah, completely agree. It's fun to play. Good luck. If you have any questions or need any help let me know. I have a lot of diagnostic software as well. You'll just need to pick up an INPA cable for $30 off eBay. DIS has a lot of automated diagnostics tests that can help track down minor issues. Makes it a lot easier to keep your car running smooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #97
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, completely agree. It's fun to play. Good luck. If you have any questions or need any help let me know. I have a lot of diagnostic software as well. You'll just need to pick up an INPA cable for $30 off eBay. DIS has a lot of automated diagnostics tests that can help track down minor issues. Makes it a lot easier to keep your car running smooth.
thanks its definitely nice to have someone willing to help rather than criticize, my jb will be here monday so we shall see the outcome.. and i didnt know the INPA cable had those functions, will definitely invest in one
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #98
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks its definitely nice to have someone willing to help rather than criticize, my jb will be here monday so we shall see the outcome.. and i didnt know the INPA cable had those functions, will definitely invest in one
Yeah, seems like a lot of people would rather just bash and dash. Funny part is those are the ones who know the least about their car. Fan boy tuners.

The INPA K+DCAN cable will do a lot of you, but you have to have the right software and it must be setup correctly. That's the hardest part... I actually wrote some automated installs and can help you get everything setup if you're interested. You can always email me at WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #99
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, seems like a lot of people would rather just bash and dash. Funny part is those are the ones who know the least about their car. Fan boy tuners.

The INPA K+DCAN cable will do a lot of you, but you have to have the right software and it must be setup correctly. That's the hardest part... I actually wrote some automated installs and can help you get everything setup if you're interested. You can always email me at WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Yeah i agree its really annoying reading all the fan boy hate that goes on here, i personally could care less what brand tune i have as long as my car runs strong and smooth with it and people dont understand that certain tunes will react differently with different cars.. And sounds good ill order it soon and get in touch with you when i do about getting it setup properly
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #100
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
If you already have a laptop PC maybe borrow or buy a BT cable to load up the pump gas back end flash. I hear it's pretty awesome. All the flash low end coupled with the JB4 top end.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #101
JDrago1926
335i Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
If you already have a laptop PC maybe borrow or buy a BT cable to load up the pump gas back end flash. I hear it's pretty awesome. All the flash low end coupled with the JB4 top end.

Mike
I'm debating switching to piggyback as Procede Rev 3 is $800 and JB4 is cheaper... How nice is the backend flash?
KW v2 Coilovers | M3 Front Control Arms
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #102
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Be interesting to see who does not have a laptop that is running a JB4/ISO. No lap top no Firmware updates, no current Interface program & no logs to see what is going on with the motor. Running a tune with out using a logging function is risky & pretty dumb. Even people running the old version of the JB4 like you were needed a laptop for it to be setup properly, didn't you have a BMS interface cable for your laptop?

Additionally, a number of special JB4/ISO features need a laptop to be set up. Be pretty dumb to try to use a JB4/ISO without a laptop.

Finally, If the BT tool is to complex for someone to use it might be a good plan for them to stay stock or pay someone to do the install.
The BT flash can be a real PITA for K-line (07M) guys. But BT flash = 2-3 minute reflashes vs OFT 15 minute full writes. Unfortunately, Cobb got them all beat with 45 second reflashes

And the BT flash can be used on D-CAN cars all day long. I full wrote my car 5x without ever starting my car and battery was still good.
      09-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #103
psmith95
original account ****** for a month...
Rep
Drives: 09 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
Plus a laptop, plus a learning curve on how to piece it all together, plus little to no vendor support, plus the risk of making mistakes in the process.. its not for everyone.
Ok I was going to try to stay out of this thread but can not anymore... Seriously, no vendor support? Terry's support is amazing and the best i've dealt with ever. He answers my questions almost immediately, replies at insane times (literally just got an email from him at 12:08 A.M. a few minutes ago), and answers every single one of my hundreds of questions. Just on Sept. 5th alone we went back and forth through 10 emails because I kept coming up with more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow007 View Post
I have a question regarding people using meth kits. Is there any maps or plans to integrate methanol controls? The reason why I ask is because I would like to check out the tablet but I'm using the jb4 +fsb for my methanol setup but if there's no way for methanol integration I might as well stick with the piggyback tunes.
You can run the BMS flash and load it via a BT cable or Cobb or even OFT.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #104
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

If someone just got scared about ending up with asking hundreds of questions going with another than OpenFlash tablet tune, calm down. I didn't need any support with JB products, but I can be an exception
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #105
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Terry helped me build a custom map 50/50% 93/100 octane for the 335is sending emails back & forth one Sunday afternoon. Worked out very well.

On the BT cable flash his web site is the point of contact for any JB4 user that is loading the BMS back end flash using the BT cable.

So far I had one question & it was responded to very quickly, elapsed time for the response would show in the BT thread.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #106
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaturbom3 View Post
I'm not sure if I agree with your statement: "in my opinion a tune is a tune... most won't gain much by switching" because I was running Procede Map 1 on 93 and Map 2 on a 60/40 mix of 93/e85 and the OFT seems to have a lot more power in the lower rpms. I don't have any measured data,,, only the butt dyno, but it's much more responsive... even my wife noticed today and was asking me how much HP the car had because she felt that it had more "oompf".
I'm not disagreeing with you. I tried to say that the additional oomph might not be enough for getting every piggy owner to switch to OFT.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #107
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

The one thing BT flash has got going for it over Cobb's BMS maps is the fact you can modify the maps yourself.
      09-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #108
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
The one thing BT flash has got going for it over Cobb's BMS maps is the fact you can modify the maps yourself.
OFT as well, which is mostly the reason I purchase it, aside from the ease of installation.
Appreciate 0