E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Power cable routing for JL XD600/6

08-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
irished89
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i (E90)

Power cable routing for JL XD600/6

Hi All - Just installed my JL XD600/6 on an 2011 E90 335i. Using Technic's harness made installation so easy! I can't believe how much sound improvement there is with the OEM speakers. Can't wait to install my Morel Hybrid 402's next...

I do have a question for those of you that have a similar installation. Thought I'd ask for some advice before I put the trunk lining back on.

How did you route the power wiring that came with Technic's harness? My preference would have been to route the wire all the way to the back and follow the existing harness runs as much as possible all the way to battery. There isn't enough length on the cable for that.

Any suggestions? Reference blue cable run in photos below
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by irished89 View Post
Hi All - Just installed my JL XD600/6 on an 2011 E90 335i. Using Technic's harness made installation so easy! I can't believe how much sound improvement there is with the OEM speakers. Can't wait to install my Morel Hybrid 402's next...

I do have a question for those of you that have a similar installation. Thought I'd ask for some advice before I put the trunk lining back on.

How did you route the power wiring that came with Technic's harness? My preference would have been to route the wire all the way to the back and follow the existing harness runs as much as possible all the way to battery. There isn't enough length on the cable for that.

Run that cable (and the ground) such that it does not come near any of the OEM/Technic Harness signal and speaker wires, otherwise you may get interference noise. The way you have it run is fine, however your trunk floor may not go all the way down. I would have run it around the back, parallel to the bumper. To do that you'll have to remove the gray plastic cover and you may have to cut some of the plastic tabs which is very easy to do.
      08-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

I have a musicarNW system and I want to say my power wire routes more towards the rear of the car, but will check when I get my car back from FFTEC
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The length of the cable is enough to lay it out exactly the way you did, so it does not cause noise, the unnecessary removal of many trunk panels and for the trunk to go back in stock as quickly and easy as possible.

I would rotate the XD 180 degrees so the power cable is not over the RCA terminals, though.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
irished89
Rep

All - Thanks! Since I have already mounted and installed the amp, i'll check how much effort it will be to route the cable all the way to the back through the plastic cover. This will keep the power wire away from the RCA's and all the other wiring.

There's a metal lip on left and right edge of the trunk floor, so the cable may chafe on the lips. Not sure if the trunk liner will lay flush as well...

If a mod to the cover looks a little daunting I'll try to make existing routing work.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Hi,

I am planning to do the same upgrade... but with BSW speakers
I have a question with the battery distribution block. I have a 2011 335d, and I see a double connector with open slot and a single metal blade inside, is yours similar to mine. Is that where you connect Technic power cable?

I PM Technic on another forum about this, but he has not confirmed.
I just want to make sure, don't want to mess this power stuff, it may cause
some major issues.

Sonny

Quote:
All - Thanks! Since I have already mounted and installed the amp, i'll check how much effort it will be to route the cable all the way to the back through the plastic cover. This will keep the power wire away from the RCA's and all the other wiring.

There's a metal lip on left and right edge of the trunk floor, so the cable may chafe on the lips. Not sure if the trunk liner will lay flush as well...

If a mod to the cover looks a little daunting I'll try to make existing routing work.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerup-sonny View Post
Hi,

I have a question with the battery distribution block. I have a 2011 335d, and I see a double connector with open slot and a single metal blade inside, is yours similar to mine. Is that where you connect Technic power cable?

some major issues.

Sonny
With regards to your 1st statement - BSW does NOT recommend using their speakers with aftermarket amps that have more power than factory amps

You are correct as to where the main power wire hooks up to battery
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
With regards to your 1st statement - BSW does NOT recommend using their speakers with aftermarket amps that have more power than factory amps

You are correct as to where the main power wire hooks up to battery

That is OK, I will take my chances... I will dial the Input Gain way down...
I don't want to wait for their amp, the rate they are going, I may sell the car
or be dead by then.... just kidding....

Also, if they only match the power to the OEM amp, then why bother.

I recall, they said their speaker is rated at 50-watts... plus once I have the JL XD600/6,
I can always transfer it to my future cars I found a local retail that sell the XD600/6
close to 40% off.

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
irished89
Rep

Hi Sonny - On my battery, I had a black colored double slot with two metal blades inside. Let Technic know that you have a double slot so he puts the right mating connector on the power cable.

Are you sure you only have one metal blade inside? You can use an iphone or camera and take a video or photo to get a better look inside.

Technic's power cable looks like the cable is on one side only, so if you only have one blade, you may want to specify left or right.

Here's what mine looked like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 & 335i E93

Quote:
Hi Sonny - On my battery, I had a black colored double slot with two metal blades inside. Let Technic know that you have a double slot so he puts the right mating connector on the power cable.

Are you sure you only have one metal blade inside? You can use an iphone or camera and take a video or photo to get a better look inside.

Technic's power cable looks like the cable is on one side only, so if you only have one blade, you may want to specify left or right.

Here's what mine looked like.
When you order from Technic he will ask you that exact question. I had a double slot with a contact on one side also. If your changing subs get his sub harness alos.

I have a e93 so I used BSW for my rears and installed a JL 6/600. Just turned the gain down and the car is full of fine music with the top down!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ml3456 View Post
When you order from Technic he will ask you that exact question. I had a double slot with a contact on one side also. If your changing subs get his sub harness alos.

I have a e93 so I used BSW for my rears and installed a JL XD6/600. Just turned the gain down and the car is full of fine music with the top down!
I also have a gray double slot, and one slot already has a cable connected, the open slot has 1 metal blade inside, and I did tell Technic.

So I will connect the power cable for the JL XD600 to the un-occupied slot, right?

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #12
irished89
Rep

That's correct
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Hi,
In this pictures, I see a piece of plywood underneath the XD, can't it be velcro and mounted back onto the OEM tray?

I am waiting for my harness and the XD to be in stocked to pick it up.

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
irished89
Rep

The JL won't fit on the OEM mounting bracket.

I've read some older posts where velcro was used for mounting the JL directly to the car chassis. I wasn't comfortable doing this because I'm not sure how industrial strength velcro will hold up over time to hot temperatures. Perhaps someone can give feedback on this...

It was fairly easy to use plywood. I cut a piece to size and then used the existing OEM amp bracket to mark the mounting holes. I used the same approach with JL to mark the mounting holes for the amp. Just make sure to use the right drill size.

If you really care about the finished product, consider painting the plywood black for a professional look. The entire assembly is covered up with trunk liner and access cover so I didn't think painting the board was necessary.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 & 335i E93

Velcro won't work especially if you have a black car. Did 1/4" Masonite. When fitting it be sure to have all the wires and plugs in. The Technic plug isn't small and those power cables don't bend we'll. also have to have a little room for relay that comes with harness.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I also have a gray double slot, and one slot already has a cable connected, the open slot has 1 metal blade inside, and I did tell Technic.

So I will connect the power cable for the JL XD600 to the un-occupied slot, right?

Sonny
Not correct... 12v cable is supplied with either a single or double connector for unused slots. An unused slot either have one metal blade by itself or two metal blades side by side. What you have is an used double slot with one metal blade occupied.

No support given to connections to used slots.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
irished89
Rep

Ahh...thanks Technic!

Btw, your cable is worth every penny! Sure beats trying to decipher the existing OEM wiring.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
rancow
Ah-yuh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328xi Sedan MT

Amp mount

irished819, would you please post a pic of your amp mount?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Hi,

some major issues.

Sonny
If using the BSW speakers with aftermarket amp make sure you use the passive crossover they are now selling to make their mid and tweeter a 2 way component set. If you just use the cap on the tweeter, there is nothing limiting the high freq of the mid other than the mid, and in our cars we don't want the mids playing too high. It lowers the soundstage.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ahh...thanks Technic!

Btw, your cable is worth every penny! Sure beats trying to decipher the existing OEM wiring.
I second that...

I just did mine, and with Technic harness, the amp replacement is in 15 mins
I am only talking about the time to take out the old amp and connect it to the XD and the harness.

I still have to route the power cable and mount the XD. I am using a piece of plywood and do the same as yours... thank you for the tips

I PM Technic but if you know, that will give me some assurance...

When I plug in the power cable the XD LED comes on right away, this is without the key in ignition, so does that mean the XD will stay on ALL the time, wouldn't that drain the battery? I thought it will only comes ON when we turn on the head unit and the head unit tells it to turn on via the harness remote cable

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

OEM remote turns on by opening the trunk (or any door) regardless if the car is running or not. OEM remote turns off 2-3 minutes after closing the last door/trunk with ignition off, or turns off immediately when activating OEM Alarm.

Quote:
I second that...

I just did mine, and with Technic harness, the amp replacement is in 15 mins
I am only talking about the time to take out the old amp and connect it to the XD and the harness.

I still have to route the power cable and mount the XD. I am using a piece of plywood and do the same as yours... thank you for the tips

I PM Technic but if you know, that will give me some assurance...

When I plug in the power cable the XD LED comes on right away, this is without the key in ignition, so does that mean the XD will stay on ALL the time, wouldn't that drain the battery? I thought it will only comes ON when we turn on the head unit and the head unit tells it to turn on via the harness remote cable

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #22
irished89
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancow View Post
irished819, would you please post a pic of your amp mount?
Thanks
Rancow - sorry for late reply...I already have the trunk lining back on so I'm not sure a picture will help. Removing the lining is easy but I really don't want the hassle of putting it back on again! FYI, I ended up removing the rear seat and dropping down the rear seat back. It was so much easier to align the lining holes and put the plastic rivets back on with the seat down.

Here's a photo of the OEM amp and bracket. Remove the entire assembly by unscrewing the two screws on the sidewall, two on the bottom. Don't bother removing the amp from the bracket if you want to install the JL XD600/6. It doesn't fit in the bracket.

I used 1/4" plywood for a platform. If you position the amp bracket on the plywood, you can put a mark through the holes used for mounting. That will allow you to drill through the mark without having to measure hole placement. I also reused the same screws from the OEM installation to mount the plywood.

Use the same approach for the amp mounting holes. Position, mark, drill. I bought wood screws from home depot to mount. Just make sure you use screws that fit through the amp holes, and make sure they are not too long...

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0