E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > How to create a wireless music stream from your phone in to your BMW.

08-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep
Drives: FORD WINDSTAR MINIVAN

How to create a wireless music stream from your phone in to your BMW.

*You can use both your BMW bluetooth along with the Blackberry Stereo Gateway at the same time. In fact this set up is slightly better because the music will pause for a split second if you get a text, which the BMW bluetooth system doesn't notify you of now. The audio quality sounds just as good since it's digitally sent via bluetooth instead of using radio frequencies like some of those other crap systems.

First, start with a Blackberry (any model works fine)

Load up a MicroSD card with all of your favorite tunes, I have an 8gb but they make much larger that you can buy so look around, you're definitely not limited to 8gb of music.

Get a high quality mini jack to mini jack audio cable, I have found the shorter the cable the better and if the jack has an L shaped jack in point so the wires don't bend, that would be better.

Purchase a BLACKBERRY STEREO GATEWAY, you can find them online I think for $60.

To power everything, you'll need 2 of your standard USB to mini USB cables (once again, the shorter the better.) If you have a newer curve phone like mine then just 1 of each like in this picture:

Jack the audio jack in.

You have two options here. A)Plug your mini USB in to the USB port to power the stereo gateway or B)plug it in to the car power adapter shown here (you can buy these general car adapter USB power sources) I believe the phone will power from either point so it doesn't matter. If you power the stereo gateway with the car adapter, you can still have a flash drive in the USB port if you don't need to charge your phone and have both the stereo gateway work and MP3s play through your stereo! Your phone will charge much faster though if it is plugged in via the power adapter.

Blackberry Stereo Gateway should be plugged in like so.

For road trips when you just want to "set it and forget it." It will power your phone and stereo gateway at the same time.

Go through the whole process of syncing up the blackberry and stereo gateway. Once this is done and it doesn't have to ask again, it will auto-connect every time and you won't have to mess with it. Just play the music and it will go through the car stereo when you have it set on AUX.

Hit play and jam out!

and now for the demo:

Last edited by Fapout; 08-15-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Perhaps I'm missing something, but couldn't you just go directly from the blackberry headphone jack to the aux in and save 60 bucks?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
you could also buy a corded phone and save a lot over a wireless phone

and you could also ride a bike and save a shit load of money over your car

you can, but wireless is so much more convenient
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Do you experience noise when AUX is the source, no music is playing, and the volume is at a moderate level? I've noticed that mine has been getting progressively worse. I'm not sure if it's because I wired my angel eyes to my cigg lighter and it's causing a ground loop or something. I'm getting a noise filter...we'll see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

or you can just buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BBMR-02.../dp/B0038MA11U

works great for me and comes with all cables u need
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
adhalla
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650i M Sport F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
you could also buy a corded phone and save a lot over a wireless phone

and you could also ride a bike and save a shit load of money over your car

you can, but wireless is so much more convenient
tou-fucking-ché
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

damn nice, I've been wanting to do this!

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

is it possible to use the steering wheel controls to change songs and volume when syncing wireless?

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep

Hey thanks for the feedback guys. I was wondering if anyone was ever going to reply to this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
or you can just buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BBMR-02.../dp/B0038MA11U

works great for me and comes with all cables u need
That looks nice. I just hate buying no name brand stuff. I do like that though. If that works, It looks much cleaner than what I used, I would recommend that to people first then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Do you experience noise when AUX is the source, no music is playing, and the volume is at a moderate level? I've noticed that mine has been getting progressively worse. I'm not sure if it's because I wired my angel eyes to my cigg lighter and it's causing a ground loop or something. I'm getting a noise filter...we'll see if that helps.
Nope, no noise. Sounds like interference from your halos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but couldn't you just go directly from the blackberry headphone jack to the aux in and save 60 bucks?
You could get a good look at a T-bone steak by sticking your head up a cows ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
is it possible to use the steering wheel controls to change songs and volume when syncing wireless?
No. But on the newer blackberry curve, you can skip tracks and pause and play music using the buttons at the top of the phone as well as turn the audio down like how I did in the video. I find this way to be safer to choose your music since there's no looking down to fumble with CDs or (if you don't have idrive) messing around with all of the buttons and the little screen trying to figure out which MP3 you want to play since you can hold your phone up in front of you and look at the road at the same time.

Also, as far as I know, without getting some kind of adapter, not even the iphone 4 can do this so feel special my Blackberry brothers.
      09-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Hey guys, I just performed this last night with the stereo gateway and I must say it's been a very pleasant surprise. To be able to get into the car, and just play music off the phone in stellar quality is really nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
SpdLmtNA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

A job well done. The only gripe I have with the BMW bluetooth setups is that you cant stream audio thru them, and more importantly, control the tracks via on-car controls... so as much as I respect this well done work, I still wish it had on-car controlability.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

will this work for an iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV335i View Post
will this work for an iPhone?
no.
      05-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
rs_philly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fapout View Post
no.
Yes. The blackberry stereo works great with the iPhone 4 and 3GS. I've had it in my car for over a year and works beautifully. It will work with any A2DP (stereo bluetooth) compatible phone. I bought the gateway and a mini USB charger cable from ebay for $ 2 to power it, and placed them both in my arm console (or whatever its called). It's invisible to the eye and works for not just music but also Navigon or other navigation apps. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

Does your phone automatically reconnect to the gateway every time you enter the car? Or do you have to tell it to? Because that other option on Amazon apparently requires you to do so every time, which can get annoying during short trips.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
Does your phone automatically reconnect to the gateway every time you enter the car? Or do you have to tell it to? Because that other option on Amazon apparently requires you to do so every time, which can get annoying during short trips.
No. It automatically connects every time. As well as connects with your car's bluetooth system so it doesn't interfere with calls as well.
      05-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
keattila
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi sedan

htc solution to BT music streaming

Hi,
I was wondering, has anyone tried this : http://www.htcaccessorystore.com/uk/...8&phone=229814 ? I guess this is a new product. I have a HTC One X phone that is why I consider this item.

Do you think it would fit under the armrest in the e90 to connect to the aux jack in?

Thanks,
Attila
ps : I hope some people read this old thread
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
darkw1sh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 ///M3
Location: Los Angeles/Woodland Hills/Thousand Oaks/ ***Santa Cruz***

couldnt find anything on XDA or Android Central About that but do a little more homework I am pretty sure it will work well since it is created for for the HTC.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
MisterRadford
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

Just purchased the Blackberry Gateway on eBay for $51 and got a 6 inch USB cable and cigarette adapter on eBay as well for less than $5 for the both of them shipped!

Thanks for this awesome DIY, I am excited to see how this all works out!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
ran_i_am
STANCE
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E92 S65

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I have had this set up 2 years ago, with the same bluetooth audio stream gateway. used it for 3 month

sitting still, perfect sound quality.
driving around, very bad white noise once in a while.

so gone with cable set up.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
ran_i_am
STANCE
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E92 S65

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fapout View Post
No. It automatically connects every time. As well as connects with your car's bluetooth system so it doesn't interfere with calls as well.
your car shuts off the power to the BB module in ur center console when u lock up ur car.

Dont you need to re-sync ur phone when u lose power in ur BB gateway module?
I had to do that, cause it lost the bluetooth connection when the power got shut off, and it didn't have VO to remember my phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #22
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by keattila View Post
Hi,
I was wondering, has anyone tried this : http://www.htcaccessorystore.com/uk/...8&phone=229814 ? I guess this is a new product. I have a HTC One X phone that is why I consider this item.

Do you think it would fit under the armrest in the e90 to connect to the aux jack in?

Thanks,
Attila
ps : I hope some people read this old thread
Check out my thread here and save yourself some cash: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621989

You can pick one up on eBay for $30 shipped.
Appreciate 0