E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > K & N filters in melbourne

04-23-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
rodders
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i sports

K & N filters in melbourne

Hi guys. Does anyone know where I can get one in Melbourne and fitting price as well? Also are there any recommendations for after market exhaust shops in melb ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
Air Filter
I ordered mine direct from supplier in Sydney. This sydney mob is the only company that receives the E90 K&N direct from overseas (and then redistributes them to smaller shops). I will get back to you on the name of the place.. my bf knows as he ordered it in for me thru his ABN (cheaper that way) and it was $120 rrp for public and we paid $70 for mine as they stuffed us around... they initially said 2 weeks to get in, but 2 months later, i got mine. So they charged me nearly half price for my patience.
To install, easy mate. If youre local to Rowville, happy to put it in for you. Takes 5mins.

Exhaust
I had my single cheapo of a stock pipe (mate, its just a stupid chrome tip stuck on the tip) sheesh, for a $70k car, you think it would be a proper tip! Well, I had my original single pipe removed as well as the stock exhaust rear muffler. I had a hotdog put in with 2 chrome pipes coming off it. Sounds grouse, pop over to have a look/ listen to. I enquired about Remus and they quoted me in excess of $900. Sorry but I wasnt going to pay that much and no guarantee it would sound good on a 4 banger. This mob that I took my car to for the exhaust, tried on half a dozen pipes/ mufflers for me (took a whoel day - patient guy!) untill he found one that sounded decent. Now that's what I call service. And all up, I paid $250 for it approx.... might give or take $20.

Is yours an E90 btw?
      04-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Make sure you keep your stock exhaust though, its worth a pretty penny!! You can always remove the aftermarket exhaust & solder original back on when its time to sell the car. And no, Doncaster BMW said that it doesnt void warranty so long you dont touch the past the rear muffler.... forget whats in the middle section of the car... another muffler/ resonator... something along those lines. Sorry, head is stuffy from all the codral I just took!!! I got a cold and Im at work crapping on at E90Post! HA!
      04-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
rodders
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i sports

thanks for all the info lea... thats all good.

Live in essendon and work in cbd so dont get down south much but thanks for the kind offer. Just out of interest, where did you get car from?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
From Doncaster BMW, not a bad mob, am there practically every second week for a coffee with the reps!
      04-25-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Hey Lea ... What's the before andafter comparrison of the filter and exhaust change. I wouldn't be expecting more power but is drivability better ????. ie - accellerating without flatspots. Interested in your impression. What's it sound like.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
With the air filter, you can hear the air intake a look nicer, a slight 'whislting' effect... with regards to exhaust, I really got that for sound. Fuel consumption i reckonis the same if not better. I drove to sydney on one tank with this exhaust system. Drivewise, I do feel its a nicer ride, but that could all be psychological cos you want it to after paying $$ for anything! but overall, I love it, simple mods to improve the car that make my car different from the E90 down the street! Makes me happy!
      04-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Thanks Lea,

I've always put in K+N filters in my cars but not the PODs. Just change the filter in the standard air box. I was looking at that CF Gruppe one but it's a pod and I am not a fan of them (Just me). On my previous car, I directed more air into the standard air box and it made a huge difference to the throtle response. I'm going to investigate doing this on the Bimmer. I make my mods look factory fit and generally use parts from other models. I'll post my findings.

As for exhaust, I think the 320 has a good note trying to get out but hindered by the standard rear box.

I know improvements can be made but I'm also a realist and know that a company such as BMW spend millions on exhaust and intake design so my "hacking" is more for personal satisfaction and individuality.
Appreciate 0