E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > My precious E92 335xi need a lil nip & tuck. HELP NEEDED!

08-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
xxx_big
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe Black Sap

My precious E92 335xi need a lil nip & tuck. HELP NEEDED!

Well, after numerous replies on BMWFanboy's post about driving a manual

car. I have decided to give our lovely/welcoming New England forum a try.

As of right now, i am not looking for any aftermarket mods, purely a repair on
my car. I've gone to several body shops around Boston to get quotes but
can't seem to decide for several reasons. First being, i will have to pay the
repair out of my own pocket. Second, i have quotes ranging from $800~4000+, which really confuses me a lot, since they are all quoting the same dmg on my car. Third, all the bodyshops that i've went to are either recommended by members on the forums, or friends of BMW Chapter. Therefore, i am surprised by the fluctuation of the quotes since i would assume they all have similar work quality.

In conclusion, i would like to know if there is any one on the forums who would be albe to give me some insights on specific body shop they've worked with or perhaps help me determined whether or not the quotes that i've got are reasonable. I would not want to spend more than necessary but defnitely do not want to not spend enough and get a cheap work.

Thanks in advance!
xxx_big
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

It would help if we know what kind of work you were looking to get done. But for overall body repair, I'd recommend Ventura's in lowell.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx_big View Post
Well, after numerous replies on BMWFanboy's post about driving a manual

car. I have decided to give our lovely/welcoming New England forum a try.

As of right now, i am not looking for any aftermarket mods, purely a repair on
my car. I've gone to several body shops around Boston to get quotes but
can't seem to decide for several reasons. First being, i will have to pay the
repair out of my own pocket. Second, i have quotes ranging from $800~4000+, which really confuses me a lot, since they are all quoting the same dmg on my car. Third, all the bodyshops that i've went to are either recommended by members on the forums, or friends of BMW Chapter. Therefore, i am surprised by the fluctuation of the quotes since i would assume they all have similar work quality.

In conclusion, i would like to know if there is any one on the forums who would be albe to give me some insights on specific body shop they've worked with or perhaps help me determined whether or not the quotes that i've got are reasonable. I would not want to spend more than necessary but defnitely do not want to not spend enough and get a cheap work.

Thanks in advance!
xxx_big
There have been many inquiries on here about body shops. Just do a search.

Dick's Auto body in Somerville is a popular one. I've used them and they do good work.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
xxx_big
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
There have been many inquiries on here about body shops. Just do a search.

Dick's Auto body in Somerville is a popular one. I've used them and they do good work.
I've done my research but just can't come down with which one to go with. Well, i've gotten quote from Dick's but not sure if their " premium price" will really result in a premium work. For this repair,i will be paying out of my own pocket, so money will definitely be an issue. Unless it's necessary, otherwise i don't think it's necessary to pay more if you could settle with less and equaivalent work quality.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
xxx_big
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
It would help if we know what kind of work you were looking to get done. But for overall body repair, I'd recommend Ventura's in lowell.
To be specific. I've damage on my hood and one side of the door. The damage on the hood is pretty minor but obvious. Some bodyshops claim they can fix it while some suggest me to just put on a new one. Which, in this case i don't know well enough to make the right decision. As for the door, someone ran into my car so there appears to be a 12' long scratches and continue a bit on the body of my car. This is nothing that can't be sand off completely as i've confirmed with the bodyshop.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
BMWFanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Coupe

Quote:
To be specific. I've damage on my hood and one side of the door. The damage on the hood is pretty minor but obvious. Some bodyshops claim they can fix it while some suggest me to just put on a new one. Which, in this case i don't know well enough to make the right decision. As for the door, someone ran into my car so there appears to be a 12' long scratches and continue a bit on the body of my car. This is nothing that can't be sand off completely as i've confirmed with the bodyshop.
I saw a previous post of yours where you asked about detailers I think. Did you ever have a competent detailer take a look? As far as body shops, Dick's is very good as is Mike's auto body in Malden . I don't know for sure but I suspect that Mike might you a lower quote.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Quote:
RickRack in Burlington actually just wetsanded an entire car and has pictures in the detailing section. He might be an option for fixing the scratches on the door.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

Invisible Touch in Bedford.
My E92 was in an accident last winter and it came out like a new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
xxx_big
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
RickRack in Burlington actually just wetsanded an entire car and has pictures in the detailing section. He might be an option for fixing the scratches on the door.
I've had rick looked at my car before. But he said he won't be able to buffed them out completely since it's dented. My car is relatively new so i figured i should probably just try to restore to its original state rather then settle for something less.

As for Dick's bodyshop, once again I've gotten quote from them but the price is a bit high after comparing to all other quotes that i've gotten. I would not mind bringing to them if i can use my insurance. But unfortunately my insurance does not cover it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
xxx_big
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyjw88 View Post
Invisible Touch in Bedford.
My E92 was in an accident last winter and it came out like a new car.
I would bring my car in sometime to get a quote. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
BMWFanboy
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've had rick looked at my car before. But he said he won't be able to buffed them out completely since it's dented. My car is relatively new so i figured i should probably just try to restore to its original state rather then settle for something less.

As for Dick's bodyshop, once again I've gotten quote from them but the price is a bit high after comparing to all other quotes that i've gotten. I would not mind bringing to them if i can use my insurance. But unfortunately my insurance does not cover it.
Did you not see where I mentioned Mike's Auto Body? And by the way, Mike is in the shop on most Saturdays like tomorrow until 1 pm or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

Quote:
I would bring my car in sometime to get a quote. Thanks for the info.
Tell Edwin that Kevin (white 335) sent you
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
inter1032
Major
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2013 m3

yea mikes is good
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
xxx_big
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and info. I will definitely give them a try and hopefully i will be able to come up with a decision soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
JDiddy06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Maybe this is too far of a drive for you, but "Carl's Collision" in Fall River, MA is fantastic. A tree crushed my mothers car (Volvo S40) and I had dents, dings and scratches from the branches. Brought my mothers car in (roof crushed, windows blown out, heavily damaged rear end) and it came back perfect. Initially we thought the car was totaled. I was so impressed, I decided to bring mine in. Unfortunatly, before I took it in, my passengers side rear door was struck to the point where it let in a fair amount of wind noise. They took care of all the damages, plus saved us cash on the deductable for both cars. Carl is a true car guy and they do alot of high end/show/hobby cars. Certified M-Benz body shop and they have plenty of certifications, show cars, and whatever else you need to feel you're in good hands. Trust me, take the trip down and you wont be dissapointed. www.CarlsCollision.com
      08-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
xxx_big
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiddy06 View Post
Maybe this is too far of a drive for you, but "Carl's Collision" in Fall River, MA is fantastic. A tree crushed my mothers car (Volvo S40) and I had dents, dings and scratches from the branches. Brought my mothers car in (roof crushed, windows blown out, heavily damaged rear end) and it came back perfect. Initially we thought the car was totaled. I was so impressed, I decided to bring mine in. Unfortunatly, before I took it in, my passengers side rear door was struck to the point where it let in a fair amount of wind noise. They took care of all the damages, plus saved us cash on the deductable for both cars. Carl is a true car guy and they do alot of high end/show/hobby cars. Certified M-Benz body shop and they have plenty of certifications, show cars, and whatever else you need to feel you're in good hands. Trust me, take the trip down and you wont be dissapointed. www.CarlsCollision.com
I will see if i have time this week to drive down there. Otherwise, i might need to settle for something closer. But thx for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
xxx_big
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanboy View Post
Did you not see where I mentioned Mike's Auto Body? And by the way, Mike is in the shop on most Saturdays like tomorrow until 1 pm or so.
My brother brought into my car this morning to Mike for an estimate. Turns out his quote is pretty reasonable and knows a lot of stuff about high end cars. I think i will go ahead and have him take care of my car. Hopefully the result will be as satisfying. Btw have you ever gotten anything done with Mike?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #18
BMWFanboy
Private
Rep

Quote:
My brother brought into my car this morning to Mike for an estimate. Turns out his quote is pretty reasonable and knows a lot of stuff about high end cars. I think i will go ahead and have him take care of my car. Hopefully the result will be as satisfying. Btw have you ever gotten anything done with Mike?
Yeah, I have. I knew he would give you a reasonable quote and he does fantastic work! He is also a very nice guy and goes to great lengths to make sure you're happy. He works mainly on Porsche, BMW, and Audi so you'll be in good hands. I used to own an Audi and he is very popular among Audi guys around here. PM me if you want to know more.
Appreciate 0