E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Warning light - Transmission?

03-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
OMLGitzScott
Rep
Drives: Renaultsport Megane R26

Warning light - Transmission?

For a while now I've had what looks like a warning light, next to the selected gear indicator. I've found a picture online and circled the warning triangle which I mean.

For the last two weeks I've been noticing that the gear changes have been getting worse, especially at low speed, where the car seems to rev high but not change gear, then will change 5 seconds late and surge forward.

I've noticed what looks like oil in my parking space at work, however i've only recently been given this new parking space, so it could be from a previous vehicle.

Anyone know a) what the light is and b) what the issue could be?

Cheers

EDIT: As stated, this picture is from the internet. My car's actually on 70k miles, not sure if this is a common issue for 56 plate 330D Automatics?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

I would guess that it's not related to the different gearbox at all, probably the ice warning indicator as we have had a fair bit of cold weather lately. This would account for the different gearbox behaviour too as the auto box tends to hold on to gears until warmed up.

Use the indicator stalk menu and select the Check function which should show what the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
OMLGitzScott
Rep
Drives: Renaultsport Megane R26

The light's been on since summer, so I don't think it's related to the weather.

The jerkyness could be related to the weather, however it doesn't just hold on to the gear, it seems as if (the clutch?) slips and makes the car "kangaroo" as if it was a manual...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

It could be anything from gas to windshield wiper fluid to service being due. Hit the button on the end of the turn signal stalk (forget which one) until you get to check control screen and it should tell you what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

The weird auto behaviour could be the DPF regenerating?

Although its far from harsh and not jerky, hesitant is probably the best word to describe.

But, its over in 5-10 minutes.

If you go through the check it may say what the warnings for. Or get the codes read.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
PowerCorrupts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

On the left indicator stick, roll the roller button upwards/downwards until you get a message saying 'CHECK'

Hit the button on the very end of the indicator stick with that selected and it should show you what ever is causing that light (maybe one or two things).

Can I just suggest that in the picture you uploaded, low fuel is likely to be one of the things causing it.. (as it says only 30miles left in the tank)

When ever you hear a dong and a warning light (fuel, ice, windscreen wash etc) when it disappears it will place that light on the dash until you do something about it. When you first get in the car it shouldn't have any warning triangle to start with

That's what mine is like anyway..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
gurpswoo1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d

I get that symbol when I go over the set speed limit, is it there when you start the engine or when moving.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMLGitzScott View Post
The light's been on since summer, so I don't think it's related to the weather.

The jerkyness could be related to the weather, however it doesn't just hold on to the gear, it seems as if (the clutch?) slips and makes the car "kangaroo" as if it was a manual...
The lights been on since summer.....

Might be a good time to get it into an indy just to be safe then
Appreciate 0