E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dead battery - steering lock defective.

09-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Any update on this bud?
      09-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
...A cheap code resetter will help you here.

$88 and works like a charm!!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=147

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #25
NJ 1161
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D M3

No update. Had to abandon as wife's birthday weekend and in a cottage in Stratford upon Avon ( ironically not too far from you mistryn) but had to pack up and bring the wife's Audi a1. Car sitting on drive at home looking sad. Won't be till Tuesday until get to look at it ( oh, and in supposed to be banned from car forums for the weekend!! )

Can any universal code clearer clear this code then??

Btw- not m3, 335d.,
      10-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #26
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Just got home. Thought I'd check just in case it's fixed itself. No joy unfortunately. Tried disconnecting battery for 20 mins, no joy, and have also got a ' power window trapped' ( not exact phrase, similar) message as well and noticed the windows have stopped lowering slightly.

Seriously, how can a flat battery cause this much grief!!

( will see if Maks Bt scan tool will clear when arrives, that's he's kindly posting me)
      10-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
You would f**king believe how much grief it can cause...

I had similar symptoms to you 2 weeks ago, but might not be the same problem so don't take this as gospel.

Car was parked up all week and I was faffing around with USB sticks and attempting to get the car to read them. Finally succeeded, tried to start the car to go to a meet, engine turned over very slowly before finally dying. Tried charging the battery (cheap charger) and it turned over healthily but refused to catch. Bought new battery, fitted it (no issues about registering - I just plug n played) and still the same: would turn over healthily but not start.

I got the car towed to a mate's garage where the fault reader diagnosed it, although it needed BMW themselves to recode it correctly.

Problem was caused by the battery getting so low on charge (as I repeatedly cranked it over attempting to start it with the old battery) that it caused problems with the "EWS manipulation protection" system. In layman's terms, the car lost the ability to recognise the coding from the key hence the immobiliser system was kicking in and stopping it from starting. It would turn over but not fire.

Might be a route to look at for yours perhaps

Edit: fault codes I had were 2f44 and 2e77.
      10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #28
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a11y
Quote:
You would f**king believe how much grief it can cause...

I had similar symptoms to you 2 weeks ago, but might not be the same problem so don't take this as gospel.

Car was parked up all week and I was faffing around with USB sticks and attempting to get the car to read them. Finally succeeded, tried to start the car to go to a meet, engine turned over very slowly before finally dying. Tried charging the battery (cheap charger) and it turned over healthily but refused to catch. Bought new battery, fitted it (no issues about registering - I just plug n played) and still the same: would turn over healthily but not start.

I got the car towed to a mate's garage where the fault reader diagnosed it, although it needed BMW themselves to recode it correctly.

Problem was caused by the battery getting so low on charge (as I repeatedly cranked it over attempting to start it with the old battery) that it caused problems with the "EWS manipulation protection" system. In layman's terms, the car lost the ability to recognise the coding from the key hence the immobiliser system was kicking in and stopping it from starting. It would turn over but not fire.

Might be a route to look at for yours perhaps

Edit: fault codes I had were 2f44 and 2e77.

It is ridiculous!!

By the sounds if it you took your battery even flatter than mine.

Mines won't do anything as the code preventing it. Hoping, praying, clearing the code sorts it!!
      10-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #29
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is ridiculous!!

By the sounds if it you took your battery even flatter than mine.

Mines won't do anything as the code preventing it. Hoping, praying, clearing the code sorts it!!
Posted you code reader today. It should be with you tomorrow. If it reads the code, please post it here.
And try to clear those.
      10-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #30
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

b.w have you tried it with second key?
      10-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #31
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I had the steering lock issue, but a yellow symbol and it just needing recoding.

Surely yours is the same.
      10-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #32
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
No, what would that do?? Will give it a go in ten mins!
      10-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #33
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d
I had the steering lock issue, but a yellow symbol and it just needing recoding.

Surely yours is the same.
Hope so dxb!
      10-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #34
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
No, what would that do?? Will give it a go in ten mins!
Second key made no difference
      10-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #35
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
Sorry to say but it all sounds quite similar to my symptoms. I didn't get the steering lock warnings but I did get DSC/ABS failure warnings on the I drive screen during the process. Second key made no difference.

The good news (if you can call it that) is that it was a simple <30min £60 job for BMW to recode the part of the ECU to recognise the keys again. The BMW techie I spoke to diagnosed the problem following my description before he'd even used the fault diagnosis stuff, so I guess it's not completely rare if he'd seen it before.

Seems like madness for flattening a battery though.
      10-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #36
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

This is certainly an interesting thread to watch... facsinating to find out what it actually is?? good luck

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #37
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a11y View Post
Sorry to say but it all sounds quite similar to my symptoms. I didn't get the steering lock warnings but I did get DSC/ABS failure warnings on the I drive screen during the process. Second key made no difference.

The good news (if you can call it that) is that it was a simple <30min £60 job for BMW to recode the part of the ECU to recognise the keys again. The BMW techie I spoke to diagnosed the problem following my description before he'd even used the fault diagnosis stuff, so I guess it's not completely rare if he'd seen it before.

Seems like madness for flattening a battery though.

You dealer has been really nice.
I have seen this many times when people take their cars to dealer and straight away
£90 for diagnosis only and rest of bill settles later.

Ally, in your case immobiliser was stopping it to start due to multiple tries.

If it was a yellow steering wheel, then it is more or less registering new battery and resetting errors.

However in this case it is red steering wheel failure.
To keep things simple, I would still take the same approach but in worst case, updating the module should resolve the issue.

NJ 1161, ring your dealer and see if they can resolve for £60 and TBH it is very reasonable price.

However if they give you £90 diagnosis shit, stay away from them for the time being.
      10-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #38
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
NJ 1161, ring your dealer and see if they can resolve for £60 and TBH it is very reasonable price.

However if they give you £90 diagnosis shit, stay away from them for the time being.
I'm not sure if NJs car is moveable with no front bumper on,and a fault code making it unstartable?

NJ,what yr is your car? 58 plate?

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #39
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe
Quote:

I'm not sure if NJs car is moveable with no front bumper on,and a fault code making it unstartable?

NJ,what yr is your car? 58 plate?

Correct. Not movable. Front bumper put back on, but still won't start, or even allow me to put in neutral to even roll. It's a 2007.

Got makkans scan tool today, just having some issues getting the app downloaded as a borrowed phone, person can't remember password, resetted phone, now won't let me do what I need to do as says I need to contact provider, and i cant as no sim! Giving up on this phone to try and find another.
      10-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
My cars a 58 plate,and had problems with the battery.

Similar audible/visual dash warnings,coupled with the car just cutting out completely.
It turned out to be water ingress into the battery compartment (known fault for E92s apparently).

The fault which was caused by corroded terminals and cables was dealt with by goodwill by the dealer,with a 50% contribution from me for just the labour.

Worth checking NJ,although I would have thought you'd have seen signs of water when changing the battery.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #41
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe
My cars a 58 plate,and had problems with the battery.

Similar audible/visual dash warnings,coupled with the car just cutting out completely.
It turned out to be water ingress into the battery compartment (known fault for E92s apparently).

The fault which was caused by corroded terminals and cables was dealt with by goodwill by the dealer,with a 50% contribution from me for just the labour.

Worth checking NJ,although I would have thought you'd have seen signs of water when changing the battery.
Yeah, battery terminals fine. It's all happened directly as deadened the battery. Confident clearing code will resolve. Only concern is the under powered battery charger meant the car was clicking and dash just flashing red which worries me.
      10-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #42
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Well, just in case people google in the future. Bought new battery, red lock stayed. Tried a bt scan tool to clear ( kindly provided by mak, thanks mak), but unfortunately didn't clear, so a local indie came out with there auto logic, and cleared ( free of charge luckily!!).

I had to sort out a few wires in my gear knob back to standard first, and all fired up perfectly. Bit of a pain tbh , but all sorted.

If you are unfortunate to drain your battery so much you get the red lock, get a Indie out with auto logic, 2 min job.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #43
Mountain Stacks
Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325ix

Garage List
2006 BMW 325ix  [0.00]
Anyone else still experience this? My car did it last night. Seemingly dead battery, at first wouldn't turn over but was clicking. After an attempted jump, getting the steering wheel lock light and nothing, computer locked me out from starting.

Towed to my trusty mechanic this morning and they did some good research for me! Turns out this is a known problem with E90s and E60s and BMW released a service announcement about it. They recommend no service if the issue is intermittent. Not even a battery replacement. Only in persistent cases do they recommend complete recoding.

Even BMW isn't 100% sure on why, but the issue seems to be when you are parking and turn the steering wheel before turning off the engine. When left turned in a specific position, you may be putting pressure on a pin that activates a fault sensor with the steering lock, even when the steering lock isn't necessarily engaged. When you go back to put the keyfab back in, it won't let you start it. Basically it thinks someone is tampering/stealing, and won't accept a start command. Its complicated.

The solution? If this occurs, don't turn the wheel back to center. Instead remove the key and continue turning the wheel in the direction they were already turned, then try starting. They also said that ideally you should park with your wheels straight. I, coincidentally or not, just started parking in my garage at an angle....

They also said to try simultaneously turning the wheel while pushing the start button.

Mechanic was able to start my car with only fiddling with the key and steering wheel. Battery actually had over 60% charge and the low battery behavior was all part of the issue. I luckily didn't get charged a dime.

So heres to parking straight!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #44
lynas
Rep
Drives: E90 335d 2006

Garage List
For what it's worth, I flattened my battery by leaving sidelights on, only then try and start the car, getting the orange lock light, followed by the red a few hours later.

After charging car for 24 hours with CTEK MXS 5.0, it vanished.

Going to clear CAS counter with tool32 and update CAS module as mine is circa 2006! Apparently BMW removed this in a module update.
Appreciate 0