E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Draft letter to dealers for 335i ED, please help review

09-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #45
drcain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Nissan 350z - Daytona Blue

A letter was something I was leaning toward doing when I order one sometime around mid-January or so... but I wasn't thinking of specifying the dealer profit/markup. I fig'd they could figure that out on their own and knowing that the request was being sent to other dealers, they'd give a total price accordingly and reasonable. Simply, I was going to ask for a total-out-the-door price and leave it open ended.

That and I was going to include a couple dealer-installed options too (ipod adapter and alarm, specifically) in the otd price, so I'd think the dealer would find a little additional incentive to be had by responding?

Anyway, I think I'd get more responses being a little more open ended in just asking for their best out-the-door-price for the car with x, y, and z than whether they'll meet price $X. And then once I get some responses, I could take into account which dealerships I'd rather do business with as well (as I already know some I prefer and also others I'd rather not buy from).

I'm curious as to the response you got from your letter/email too. good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #46
tahoejoe
Rep
Drives: none

Thanks to all for the help. Based on the advice, I called a few dealers rather than blast out the letter. The first dealer I called agreed to $750 over ED invoice without any negotiation for a 335i coupe. I pick up my car in a couple of months.

Last edited by tahoejoe; 10-09-2006 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #47
cybermaster
Ruby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 335d

All the concerned car sales man please rise your hand.

I have been reading this thread and found many people post reply from car sales man point of view. So, without further a due please rise you hand.

Please give genuine and sincere advice to rgoel.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #48
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafil
A few comments:

Yes, the client has done most of the work here by knowing what he wants. But, on the other hand, clients that come across with all this info and act like they know everything (which they probably do!) are also very high maintenance and WILL be calling/emailing you ALL THE TIME looking for status updates, etc. It's not like you place their order, take their money, and they go away. You still need to put a considerable amount of effort into responding to their requests for constant updates. For this, you should be able to make a **reasonable** profit. On a new, just out of the box 335i, I don't think $600 over invoice is reasonable.

Also, ED cars do not come out of dealer allocation. That means that this sale does not earn the dealer a future car, and it does not get a CSI follow-up call so no extra bonus for the dealer.

Finally, let me just clarify that I am not opposed to discounting as necessary to make a deal. A skinny deal is better than no deal at all. But, when someone sends you a fax or email saying "I'll buy this car from whoever sells it to me for $600 over invoice or less", it comes out as very impersonal and I have zero interest in even reading the rest of the message. If you walk into my showroom and are showing me signs that you are ready to buy from me if the numbers work, that's a different story. I won't respond to this $600 over invoice fax/email, but there's a good chance that I'd take that deal from soming sitting in front of me if that is the deal that we finally agree on.
Amen, I couldn't agree you you more!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #49
myn
Rep
Drives: BMW

So any updates?

What was your final deal?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #50
tahoejoe
Rep
Drives: none

OP here (changed my login name).

I ended up dialing a few dealers instead of sending out the letter. I got $750 over ED invoice back in September. Picked up the car in Munich in November. Re-delivery in USA just a couple of weeks ago. I found multiple dealers willing to deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #51
dme330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Huracan, GT3, 66 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe
OP here (changed my login name).

I ended up dialing a few dealers instead of sending out the letter. I got $750 over ED invoice back in September. Picked up the car in Munich in November. Re-delivery in USA just a couple of weeks ago. I found multiple dealers willing to deal.

Good job and congrats!

Good for you for setting your own expectations rather than listening to all the advice suggesting to start $XXXX over invoice.
Appreciate 0