E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > How many track days do you have..and where?

10-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #45
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Yeah, that LeMons race looks fun. Just need one single guy to store the "rust-bucket".
      10-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #46
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Numbers like that is why I'm still a chump running track days and not Honda Challenge H2.
+1

I was in the process of building my Prelude into an H2 car, but it is now sitting on my sis-in-law's driveway collecting dust.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #47
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

2 days Calabogie (BMW Ottawa / Patroon Clubs)
4 days at LCMT (Tremblant) with BMW Quebec Club
1 evening at ICAR (Mirabel) with BMW Quebec Club
1 day Car Control Clinic at PMG Blainville.

8 total, 7 on track really
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #48
eltoshan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Do any of you guys run on stock camber settings and r-comps? How long does it take before you cord?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #49
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoshan View Post
Do any of you guys run on stock camber settings and r-comps? How long does it take before you cord?
Probably 95% of us run with stock camber...because you cant dial in more negative camber without installing adjustable camber plates. I think I could get another 1.5-2 seconds a lap if I had decent camber.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #50
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Not a clue how many days I'd have to check logbooks, but I've driven

Watkins Glen
Lime Rock
NHIS
Pocono South
Pocono East
Pocono North
Pocono Full
Summit Point Main
Summit Point Shenandoah
NJMP Lightning
NJMP Thunder
Beaverun

Probably at least a handful of races at most of them...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #51
eltoshan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Probably 95% of us run with stock camber...because you cant dial in more negative camber without installing adjustable camber plates. I think I could get another 1.5-2 seconds a lap if I had decent camber.
I think you can pull the alignment pins to get slightly more. How many days do you get out of your tires?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #52
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
I think you can pull the alignment pins to get slightly more. How many days do you get out of your tires?
Havent really been keeping track..but with the R888s I just had..its probably been about 10 days...maybe 12. I really liked the Pilot Sport Cups better. The damn R888s really seem like a time trial tire..since for me they seemed to go away after about 3-4 hard laps. I got rid of stagger..so I was about to rotate..but if you stay staggered...I think it would be less.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #53
dieguito37
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Audi S4, 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
I thought the stock camber was miserable, even with the natural 1/10's of a degree you get from a lower ride height. The best I could eek out was -1.1, and I have a few sets of bald front tires to show for it.

Once I was able to dial in -2.5 with camber plates, the car really started to bite into turns.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #54
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
In your other post, you mentioned about the Hoosiers for the autox. Are you planning on running the Hoosiers on the track too? If so, make sure you get to proper compound for each. The A compound is for autox, therefore much softer. The R compound is for track. If you run the A compound on the track, they'll get greasy and slippery rather quickly.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #55
eltoshan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
In your other post, you mentioned about the Hoosiers for the autox. Are you planning on running the Hoosiers on the track too? If so, make sure you get to proper compound for each. The A compound is for autox, therefore much softer. The R compound is for track. If you run the A compound on the track, they'll get greasy and slippery rather quickly.
I'll probably get the 245 and 265 BFG R1s for track. I wanted to see generally how long I can expect a set to last given next year would by my first track season.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #56
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Havent really been keeping track..but with the R888s I just had..its probably been about 10 days...maybe 12. I really liked the Pilot Sport Cups better. The damn R888s really seem like a time trial tire..since for me they seemed to go away after about 3-4 hard laps. I got rid of stagger..so I was about to rotate..but if you stay staggered...I think it would be less.
Nice re:R888. I've gotten 15 days on Dunlop Direzza SS Z1's. I get to rotate front/rears on non-staggered setup.
      10-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #57
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'll probably get the 245 and 265 BFG R1s for track. I wanted to see generally how long I can expect a set to last given next year would by my first track season.
With this setup you will become quite frustrated. Anything other than a square setup (245 or 255 all around) will result in accentuating understeer. You may want to rethink your strategy.
      10-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #58
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Nice re:R888. I've gotten 15 days on Dunlop Direzza SS Z1's. I get to rotate front/rears on non-staggered setup.
That's sick! Joel, would like to know how many of those 15 days your tires were bald. Just wanna know what you do if it rains for those days.

Yup, as he says, leave the stagger for the porscha
      10-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #59
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
With this setup you will become quite frustrated. Anything other than a square setup (245 or 255 all around) will result in accentuating understeer. You may want to rethink your strategy.
And I had 225/265 LOL. That is THE reason I did not come with you to Calabogie, too frustrating for those double/triple apexed never ending turns.
      10-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #60
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
That's sick! Joel, would like to know how many of those 15 days your tires were bald. Just wanna know what you do if it rains for those days.

Yup, as he says, leave the stagger for the porscha
If it wasnt for the fact I have an XI, I would have changed it a little earlier. So technically they were dead the last session I did at Calabogie. So, lets say they really lasted 13 sessions.

Quote:
And I had 225/265 LOL. That is THE reason I did not come with you to Calabogie, too frustrating for those double/triple apexed never ending turns.
For fun a did an ICAR last week on my GY F1 GS-D3's. 235F and 265R. What a slog. I wont be doing that any time soon.
      10-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #61
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If it wasnt for the fact I have an XI, I would have changed it a little earlier. So technically they were dead the last session I did at Calabogie. So, lets say they really lasted 13 sessions.

For fun a did an ICAR last week on my GY F1 GS-D3's. 235F and 265R. What a slog. I wont be doing that any time soon.
Very funny! But you didn't really answer the original question

So how many of those 13 days the tires looked bald, or should I say, after how many days (of the 13) you wouldn't have been able to run them in the wet?
      10-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #62
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Very funny! But you didn't really answer the original question

So how many of those 13 days the tires looked bald, or should I say, after how many days (of the 13) you wouldn't have been able to run them in the wet?
Naw, I had almost 3/64's left. Plenty of tread Pretty even wear as well. Just my shoulders were toast. With this understeer pig, it was time for new tires. Picked them up last week for a run at ICAR and 2 more sessions at Calabogie this month. Hoping it doesnt frikk'n snow. I'd hate to have to drive with my Dunlop Sport 3D snows... LOL.
      10-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #63
eltoshan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Considering that I am a track n00b, and I'll be doing everything I can next year to set up the car for neutral handling at medium speed for auto-x, a little understeer is probably a good thing. If I went with a square setup, I would have a lot more high speed oversteer and probably eat some tires from the tire walls. I was planning on staying with the 245/265 staggered R1 setup until I get good enough to move to a 255 squared setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #64
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Naw, I had almost 3/64's left. Plenty of tread Pretty even wear as well. Just my shoulders were toast. With this understeer pig, it was time for new tires. Picked them up last week for a run at ICAR and 2 more sessions at Calabogie this month. Hoping it doesnt frikk'n snow. I'd hate to have to drive with my Dunlop Sport 3D snows... LOL.
Did you go with the same tires? I am thinking of getting the Hankooks RS-3s for next year!
      10-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #65
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Considering that I am a track n00b, and I'll be doing everything I can next year to set up the car for neutral handling at medium speed for auto-x, a little understeer is probably a good thing. If I went with a square setup, I would have a lot more high speed oversteer and probably eat some tires from the tire walls. I was planning on staying with the 245/265 staggered R1 setup until I get good enough to move to a 255 squared setup.
Unlikely you will power oversteer with the square setup, although I have to say 245 up front is not bad. 265 in back will likely mean your front shoulders will get used up faster due to the stagger, and also since you cannot rotate front to rears, the fronts will be used up more than twice faster than if you had square. So you will be throwing away tires with good thread remaining, but without shoulders.....Again though, 245 is much better than the stock 225s! So YMMV
      10-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #66
eltoshan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Unlikely you will power oversteer with the square setup, although I have to say 245 up front is not bad. 265 in back will likely mean your front shoulders will get used up faster due to the stagger, and also since you cannot rotate front to rears, the fronts will be used up more than twice faster than if you had square. So you will be throwing away tires with good thread remaining, but without shoulders.....Again though, 245 is much better than the stock 225s! So YMMV
well I'm not concerned with power oversteer, but more so with corner entry and midcorner oversteer at higher speeds as my car will be setup to be neutral at medium speed for auto-x next year. That's a good point about tire wear with staggered, maybe i'll just get 255 R6s and learn to deal with it.
Appreciate 0