E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is the Active Autowerke Tune Worth $800?

View Poll Results: Is the AA tune for a 328 with PE worth $800?
Yes 35 52.24%
No 32 47.76%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

03-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Is the Active Autowerke Tune Worth $800?

I know the AA tune has been discussed A LOT on the forum (been reading for months about it) and most of you would say it's the best tune out there. But, there seems to be some conflicting information on the gains it produces alone in the stock 328, especially now that headers and the 330 intake manifold conversion have become so popular.

I just put on the BMW Performance Exhaust and will be doing the Eurobox air intake with K&N filter on Thursday, which was all in preparation for driving somewhere Friday to have the AA tune done.

Problem is....no one within reasonable driving distance (there and back in one day) has the "$10,000" piece of equipment to do this tune in house. One dealer in ATL is getting it soon but is going to charge $650 to do the tune. For that, I'd buy the G5 unit and do it myself. The alternative, of course, is to take out the ECU and mail it to AA, which I'm not real fond of doing (the procedure or being out of a car for 3-5 days). How many of you have done this???

So...to buy the G5 installer and then the AA software will cost a little over $800.

I hope to do the 330 intake conversion and perhaps AA headers down the road, altho I'm a bit concerned about the loudness with the PE/header combo. Does the car have to be re-tuned with the 330 manifold conversion? If so, that would make getting the G5 unit more worthwhile.

In the meantime, the question is: Is it worth it to spend $800 for this tune on a 328 with only my two mods (PE, Eurobox/K&N filter)???

(I realize now, after the first two comments, that I should have added a third choice: "3) I would do something else first." I know some people will be reluctant to vote "No" because "worth" is such a subjective thing...e.g. "Worth it to WHO...you or me???" But, it looks like I'm going to get my answer, so THANKS for voting and/or commenting. )
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 03-24-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
I would wait for the manifold. The throttle response will be snappier, however, the real gains are to be had in the manifold

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
I would wait for the manifold. The throttle response will be snappier, however, the real gains are to be had in the manifold
Thanks, Mike. I was hoping you'd comment.
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I think the tune was roughly $400 and the flash tool was $350 when I bought it for my 328. You can can just get the software and have a shop flash it for you but personally I wanted to have the tool on hand if I ever needed to re-flash. Initially I just had the PE and a Eurointake box and it made quite the difference but the real gains came when I added the three stage manifold.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I think the tune was roughly $400 and the flash tool was $350 when I bought it for my 328. You can can just get the software and have a shop flash it for you but personally I wanted to have the tool on hand if I ever needed to re-flash. Initially I just had the PE and a Eurointake box and it made quite the difference but the real gains came when I added the three stage manifold.
Thanks!

Hmmm... I almost added a third choice to the poll and now wish I had..."3) I would do something else first". (I don't see how to edit a poll. Can that be done?)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 03-24-2015 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Eurocharged or AA you can't get wrong with either one.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #7
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
If you do the tune now, it would be $100 to upgrade to the stage 2 (manifold) tune. If you think thats worth it, then get it now. Thinking about it, I would get the G5 and have them send both tunes-- the one you will use now and the stage 2 tune. The 100 you spend for the other tune will offset the shop costs of uploading it twice.

So figure its 459+350+100=909
(thats without mani istall and cost)

Cost differences are minimal at that point, its a question of driving, do you want to drive to save 30 bucks to drive a crazy distance.

EDIT: No problem, I try to help everyone!

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah5411 View Post
I know the AA tune has been discussed A LOT on the forum (been reading for months about it) and most of you would say it's the best tune out there. But, there seems to be some conflicting information on the gains it produces alone in the stock 328, especially now that headers and the 330 intake manifold conversion have become so popular.

I just put on the BMW Performance Exhaust and will be doing the Eurobox air intake with K&N filter on Thursday, which was all in preparation for driving somewhere Friday to have the AA tune done.

Problem is....no one within reasonable driving distance (there and back in one day) has the "$10,000" piece of equipment to do this tune in house. One dealer in ATL is getting it soon but is going to charge $650 to do the tune. For that, I'd buy the G5 unit and do it myself. The alternative, of course, is to take out the ECU and mail it to AA, which I'm not real fond of doing (the procedure or being out of a car for 3-5 days). How many of you have done this???

So...to buy the G5 installer and then the AA software will cost a little over $800.

I hope to do the 330 intake conversion and perhaps AA headers down the road, altho I'm a bit concerned about the loudness with the PE/header combo. Does the car have to be re-tuned with the 330 manifold conversion? If so, that would make getting the G5 unit more worthwhile.

In the meantime, the question is: Is it worth it to spend $800 for this tune on a 328 with only my two mods (PE, Eurobox/K&N filter)???

(I realize now, after the first two comments, that I should have added a third choice: "3) I would do something else first." I know some people will be reluctant to vote "No" because "worth" is such a subjective thing...e.g. "Worth it to WHO...you or me???" But, it looks like I'm going to get my answer, so THANKS for voting and/or commenting. )
I have JUST done this mod and I went FULL in with the G5 unit, data logger, etc, etc along with headers (afe) and 330 manifold. I would love to give you my recent thoughts and feed back.

Prelude: I had the BMS powerbox and I was thinking AA was not worth it and pushed it off for years. Then, I found a good deal ona 330 intake manifold and 'needed' it tuned. At this point it was between Turner Motorsports and AA (knowing BMS [burger motorsports powerbox for n52]) would not satisfy the needs to allow the 330 manifold to work to it's fullest potential.

Now, that said and after months, yes MONTHS of research mainly on these forums I committed to the AA tune. In addition to the tune, I got their G5 unit AND their datalogger software cable (these are obv. optional, but I will explain why shortly).

So, I got my afe headers/manifold installed and contacted AA. I spoke with Andrew and Veral (sorry if I'm not spelling your name right). and after any questions I pulled the trigger.

Just like you, I have no tuners near me. Being confident in software/hardware, I opted for the G5 tool that allows you to upload/download your tunes to send back and forth. I purchased this for two reasons really, well, three - kind of. 1. I knew I did not want to mail my ECU to somebody and have my car sit. 2. I like instant gratifications even at a cost. 3. I knew I would NOT settle on this final tune, I would make changes in the future and as such, I wanted the tune to evolve as the car dude.

So, there I was, just like you, in a hole of almost 1K in tune/parts/cable.

I was finished. I uploaded my tune, which I downloaded from my car and took about an hour. I emailed that to AA, they modified the file per my mods and send a new file back. I reverse the order, upload it to my G5 unit from the PC, then upload the tune from the G5 to my ECU. This again, took about an hour to write.

I also opted for their throttle remapping tune that required one extra simple step to activate.

Post tune: The car is like a whole new machine. I can not believe I neglected this for so long. Paired with the 33 manifold it's a literal night and day performance. The car breaks loose when it never have before, and according to my P3 cars 0-60 time, I am down over a second. I am VERY impressed and HIGHLY advise you get this done. I know buying the G5 tool hurts when you only need it a hand full of times - but then again, you save time and money on shipping and waiting to get your ECU back.

Now, back off of my rants and raves and to your question:

Is it work getting with your current mods: YES. You have the software and ability to upload and download your tune as you mod your car (via G5) so why not? Why not keep pushing it and dyno'ing and seeing how much fun you can have out of a little N52. Get it then contact AA when you get mods done for a new tune, it's very, very simple.

Regarding headers: Yes, they increase sound, will it drive you crazy? It's all contextual. I love my headers (AFE with high flow cats) and the power it's added is noticeable. I notice you mention ATL, I'm 20 miles north, if you're ever around, I'd be happy to let you ride in my car to give you a better idea. Ideally, you'd be a 5'10 blonde, 115 lbs and female - but I can do a bro a favor too. Keep in mind, the AA's are catless and can or may cause emissions issues - I am a very paranoid person with this so I opted for AFE's headers with high flow cats so I have nothing to worry about near my birthday

Getting retuned per mods: YES. Now, AA use catless headers and require a recode to kill the dash light. 330 requires a flash/retune, etc. So, if you do mods, I would do them in junks to save time on uploading/downloading tunes. For example, I'd get a baseline tune done now, then save for 330 manifold and headers at the same time. Just my 2 cents of course. I do not think smaller mods require a tune other than changing octane and fuel options.

All jokes aside/tl;dr - do it. You won't regret it. If you're OCD like me, get the data logger software, too - to monitor dyno runs to further adjustment of timing and AFR.

Take all this with a grain, I am no mechanic or even close. But, I have experienced and researched this very carefully and executed it just this fall.

Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Last edited by mmmnot; 03-25-2015 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I wouldn't buy it if I didn't have the 330i/N51 manifold
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #10
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you do the tune now, it would be $100 to upgrade to the stage 2 (manifold) tune. If you think thats worth it, then get it now. Thinking about it, I would get the G5 and have them send both tunes-- the one you will use now and the stage 2 tune. The 100 you spend for the other tune will offset the shop costs of uploading it twice.

So figure its 459+350+100=909
(thats without mani istall and cost)

Cost differences are minimal at that point, its a question of driving, do you want to drive to save 30 bucks to drive a crazy distance.

EDIT: No problem, I try to help everyone!
Thanks again. All great comments, Mike.

It is definitely not worth the savings to drive a "crazy distance". Atlanta is the closest and it's a reasonable 5 hours away but I'd have to take a day off from work. I'm my own boss, but...time is money in my case.

The manifold (full conversion kit) is on sale at Tischer for $1099 with free shipping, a savings of over $500. I guess it's time to contact my (independent) BMW mechanic and ask him how much the conversion would be to do.

I contacted Andrew yesterday and he PM'd me back. The deal right now is AA tune + headers.

I wrote him back (still waiting to hear) asking if the G5 was re-usable and if so, why don't they take a $350 deposit on the G5, send it out, shoot us the tune, and let us return the G5 unit for, say, a $200-250 refund? Seems like that would be a win-win for everyone rather than removing and mailing the ECU back and forth.

I think your idea about having both tunes loaded is a good one. The question is whether I'm "mature" enough to do this in stages and just wait to do the tune until after I do the manifold conversion (which is becoming a distinct possibility). However, I rank right up there with the top rationalizers.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
I have JUST done this mod and I went FULL in with the G5 unit, data logger, etc, etc along with headers (afe) and 330 manifold. I would love to give you my recent thoughts and feed back.

Prelude: I had the BMS powerbox and I was thinking AA was not worth it and pushed it off for years. Then, I found a good deal ona 330 intake manifold and 'needed' it tuned. At this point it was between Turner Motorsports and AA (knowing BMS [burger motorsports powerbox for n52]) would not satisfy the needs to allow the 330 manifold to work to it's fullest potential.

Now, that said and after months, yes MONTHS of research mainly on these forums I committed to the AA tune. In addition to the tune, I got their G5 unit AND their datalogger software cable (these are obv. optional, but I will explain why shortly).

So, I got my afe headers/manifold installed and contacted AA. I spoke with Andrew and Veral (sorry if I'm not spelling your name right). and after any questions I pulled the trigger.

Just like you, I have no tuners near me. Being confident in software/hardware, I opted for the G5 tool that allows you to upload/download your tunes to send back and forth. I purchased this for two reasons really, well, three - kind of. 1. I knew I did not want to mail my ECU to somebody and have my car sit. 2. I like instant gratifications even at a cost. 3. I knew I would NOT settle on this final tune, I would make changes in the future and as such, I wanted the tune to evolve as the car dude.

So, there I was, just like you, in a hole of almost 1K in tune/parts/cable.

I was finished. I uploaded my tune, which I downloaded from my car and took about an hour. I emailed that to AA, they modified the file per my mods and send a new file back. I reverse the order, upload it to my G5 unit from the PC, then upload the tune from the G5 to my ECU. This again, took about an hour to write.

I also opted for their throttle remapping tune that required one extra simple step to activate.

Post tune: The car is like a whole new machine. I can not believe I neglected this for so long. Paired with the 33 manifold it's a literal night and day performance. The car breaks loose when it never have before, and according to my P3 cars 0-60 time, I am down over a second. I am VERY impressed and HIGHLY advise you get this done. I know buying the G5 tool hurts when you only need it a hand full of times - but then again, you save time and money on shipping and waiting to get your ECU back.

Now, back off of my rants and raves and to your question:

Is it work getting with your current mods: YES. You have the software and ability to upload and download your tune as you mod your car (via G5) so why not? Why not keep pushing it and dyno'ing and seeing how much fun you can have out of a little N52. Get it then contact AA when you get mods done for a new tune, it's very, very simple.

Regarding headers: Yes, they increase sound, will it drive you crazy? It's all contextual. I love my headers (AFE with high flow cats) and the power it's added is noticeable. I notice you mention ATL, I'm 20 miles north, if you're ever around, I'd be happy to let you ride in my car to give you a better idea. Ideally, you'd be a 5'10 blonde, 115 lbs and female - but I can do a bro a favor too. Keep in mind, the AA's are catless and can or may cause emissions issues - I am a very paranoid person with this so I opted for AFE's headers with high flow cats so I have nothing to worry about near my birthday

Getting retuned per mods: YES. Now, AA use catless headers and require a recode to kill the dash light. 330 requires a flash/retune, etc. So, if you do mods, I would do them in junks to save time on uploading/downloading tunes. For example, I'd get a baseline tune done now, then save for 330 manifold and headers at the same time. Just my 2 cents of course. I do not think smaller mods require a tune other than changing octane and fuel options.

All jokes aside/tl;dr - do it. You won't regret it. If you're OCD like me, get the data logger software, too - to monitor dyno runs to further adjustment of timing and AFR.

Take all this with a grain, I am no mechanic or even close. But, I have experienced and researched this very carefully and executed it just this fall.

Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer.
Great post! Thanks for taking the time to write all of that!! I'm sure I'll read it a bunch of time over the next few days. And yes...it sounds like we're twin sons of different mothers.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah5411 View Post
Great post! Thanks for taking the time to write all of that!! I'm sure I'll read it a bunch of time over the next few days. And yes...it sounds like we're twin sons of different mothers.
You're very welcome. Just keep in mind that I'm not a mechanic so there could be error in my claims or terms. But feel free to ask anything. I've always felt the give/take method of forums should be respected. I learned 90% of this here, so why not give a little back
      03-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #13
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
You're very welcome. Just keep in mind that I'm not a mechanic so there could be error in my claims or terms. But feel free to ask anything. I've always felt the give/take method of forums should be respected. I learned 90% of this here, so why not give a little back
what is your 0-60 time, and there is data logging on the G5? you learn something new everyday

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

So no one is pointing out that someone has AFE headers?

Can you sassholes get a dyno...please?!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
what is your 0-60 time, and there is data logging on the G5? you learn something new everyday
The lowest I was able to get was 5.2 without final tune. (AT and newbie driver)

And sorry to confuse, no not with the G5. They have another cable (simon2 I believe) with software. Two different cables/platforms/devices.

My apologies for not being clearer.
      03-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #16
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post

Here is my dyno after headers, but before manifold and tune

(Not trying to thread jack)

03-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #17
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:

bruh I emailed this place near me

$175 gets me 3 hp runs, a video, a 0-60 run and a 1/4 run

Hopefully they email me back.

Appreciate 2
      03-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
bruh I emailed this place near me

$175 gets me 3 hp runs, a video, a 0-60 run and a 1/4 run

Hopefully they email me back.
175?! That seems high, dynojet? Did you use that link I sent you?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #19
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Here is my dyno after headers, but before manifold and tune

(Not trying to thread jack)

Now THIS is what I like to see! MOAR!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #20
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
175?! That seems high. Dynojet! Did you use that link I sent you?
Bren tuning link? and this place is called performance motorsports and they use a mustang dyno. Im prepared to be humbled

The price is high, its the stupid "long island tax"

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #21
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Now THIS is what I like to see! MOAR!
That's all I have for the time. I need to go back in the next few weeks for a more up to date dyno. The AFE headers backed up their power claims.

I'm very happy with the headers in all aspects: quality, build, performance and looks. (Check out the NA dyno thread on here, too - lots of good juicy numbers and color graphs to dazzle the mind and destroy the wallet)
      03-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #22
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
That's all I have for the time. I need to go back in the next few weeks for a more up to date dyno. The AFE headers backed up their power claims.

I'm very happy with the headers in all aspects: quality, build, performance and looks. (Check out the NA dyno thread on here, too - lots of good juicy numbers and color graphs to dazzle the mind and destroy the wallet)
hahah he made the thread mmmnot

and damn 5.2 holy christ what did you time it on? that is QUICK

Appreciate 0