E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > This car never ceases to amaze me :D

01-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

This car never ceases to amaze me :D

So I was cleaning my interior, I held my hand on the blinker for left too long while the car was off and it gave me a weird ping sound with a "P" on the display. I walked outside to see what it was and I found out that the rear left tail light stays on when held left and when held right, the right tail light and AE's stay on. I'm guessing this is a parking feature for bmw seeing as mercedes has it? I'm just curious on if it'll drain battery life if left on over night. Has anyone else found this out? (Both about the battery draining and finding out we have parking lights )
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
wwc310
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335i

I've read on another thread here that it will stay on until your battery dies

JB4 Stage 2, VRSF chargepipe, VRSF downpipe, Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

I was unaware of this! Back when it was still kinda new, I'd average a new "discovery" every month or so haha
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
First time I ever saw that feature was like 3 years ago in Iran a 5 series had it on while parked on a narrow street. Couple years later my friend showed me how to turn that on. It's LEDs so it would take a while to drain the battery..I'm guessing just over night is fine or a couple of hours. I wouldn't risk it more than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

The feature is mandatory in Germany. Most people there park on the street in villages and they have to leave the street side light on at night when parked. I didn't know it was also on US spec cars.

From the owner's manual:

Roadside parking lamps, left or right*

There is an additional option of switching on the lamps on the side of the car facing the road when parked. Switching on After parking the vehicle, press the lever up or down beyond the pressure point, arrow 3. The roadside parking lamps drain the battery. Therefore, do not leave them on for unduly long periods of time, otherwise the battery might not have enough power to start the engine.<

It would be nice if they defined "unduly long periods." In Germany, they have to stay on overnight.

Last edited by Blackhawk36; 01-19-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

nice find
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Dalco450
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

It's a feature on my wife's Saturn (Opel) Astra XR too. I love cars from Germany.

Last edited by Dalco450; 01-19-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

One thing I remember in Germany is that the parking light was very dim. Maybe LED or a very low wattage bulb for minimal battery usage. Here is the guide for parking in Germany:

When parking on a street at night, you must use your parking lights unless you are parked near an all-night street light. Street lights that do not remain on for the entire night are marked by a white and red band around the lamppost.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

The rear lamp (when set on) is as bright as the tail light when active force braking is applied so it is pretty bright. I'm not sure if it was because I enabled the rear fog light mod for the US spec or from coding or its from the factory but I think this will be a nice use when you're waiting for someone with the car off on a public street so the cops won't mess with you
Its a nice feature I just wished it was known of more at first. Everyone, please enjoy your new parking security to keep blind people from side swiping you !
*note: I do not hold responsibility for your battery draining from this find
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Given the legal requirement in Germany, this may not apply, however the car constantly monitors state of charge of the battery via a current sensor in the ground lead (which is one reason it's always best to hook accessories to chassis ground and not directly to the battery ground). In the event that the car senses a battery drained to the point that there's JUST enough left to start the car, everything shuts down - all relay switched power terminals are cut. If I'm on my mark, it means things like CA will cut out, electric locks, etc etc. All you'll be able to do is unlock the door and start the engine.

It'd stand to reason that the parking lights would be included in the "everything" that gets shut down, as it's not like there's a requirement on battery size. A 90AH battery that cuts the lights a few minutes early to preserve starting power will still keep them lit longer than a 30AH battery, for example.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if leaving ANYTHING in the car left on indefinitely successfully killed your battery in an E90+
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
ihbase
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90, e91, f31, f87

Errr... If it is in the Owner's Manual, it is not really a "discovery" ... -Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbase View Post
Errr... If it is in the Owner's Manual, it is not really a "discovery" ... -Mike
True... but who really reads the owner's manual though? Lol
I've only read it once to remember the error pictures and to find out a few things. I suppose you're right though, it is in the owner's manual so its not really a discovery. Although, I don't recall ever seeing it? Maybe its one of those short 1 sentence things?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This
Attached Images

Last edited by alexwhittemore; 01-19-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
So I was cleaning my interior, I held my hand on the blinker for left too long while the car was off and it gave me a weird ping sound with a "P" on the display. I walked outside to see what it was and I found out that the rear left tail light stays on when held left and when held right, the right tail light and AE's stay on. I'm guessing this is a parking feature for bmw seeing as mercedes has it? I'm just curious on if it'll drain battery life if left on over night. Has anyone else found this out? (Both about the battery draining and finding out we have parking lights )
Can someone explain the purpose of this?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Are you kidding? 4th reply.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I've had the car 6+ yrs and I discovered a new scenario yesterday. Got self serve gas which I never do, always full in NJ. So I pull my car into a space, shut her off, then put the ignition back on to enter the odo info into my droid app. Exit the car and lock etc. when I get back I go oh s***. My drl's are on, as is the entire ignition, with a key with a slash icon. that coulda been a dead batt.....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
This
Agreed hahahahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Can someone explain the purpose of this?
Parking lamp feature so people can see your ride and not sideswipe you

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I've had the car 6+ yrs and I discovered a new scenario yesterday. Got self serve gas which I never do, always full in NJ. So I pull my car into a space, shut her off, then put the ignition back on to enter the odo info into my droid app. Exit the car and lock etc. when I get back I go oh s***. My drl's are on, as is the entire ignition, with a key with a slash icon. that coulda been a dead batt.....
Was it a pic of the key also?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #18
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

My old A4 did that back in 05.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
One thing I remember in Germany is that the parking light was very dim. Maybe LED or a very low wattage bulb for minimal battery usage. Here is the guide for parking in Germany:

When parking on a street at night, you must use your parking lights unless you are parked near an all-night street light. Street lights that do not remain on for the entire night are marked by a white and red band around the lamppost.
Ahhhh haaaa that's what the red & white bands are for.
      01-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #20
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
My old A4 did that back in 05.
wahhh? Even audi has this feature? Lol I shoulda figured. Was it as obvious as the benz where it has a display of switches that can trigger it on and off or was it like the e9x's where you'd have to read the manual or accidentally come up on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

You guys keep calling this a feature. Anyone here ever use it? My headlights usually allow me to see parked cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
The rear lamp (when set on) is as bright as the tail light when active force braking is applied so it is pretty bright. I'm not sure if it was because I enabled the rear fog light mod for the US spec or from coding or its from the factory but I think this will be a nice use when you're waiting for someone with the car off on a public street so the cops won't mess with you
Its a nice feature I just wished it was known of more at first. Everyone, please enjoy your new parking security to keep blind people from side swiping you !
*note: I do not hold responsibility for your battery draining from this find
You are saying that your rear fog lights come on when you hold down the signal stalk to turn on one side of the parking lights?

If so, that's from your coding, as by putting in an EU fog light switch or modifying your fog light switch won't do it, as it's just a button.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0