E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > City people --where do you wash your cars?

10-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

Question City people --where do you wash your cars?

Since moving to San Francisco, I've really missed those Saturday afternoons when I could park the car in the driveway and spend a few hours on a nice handwash and wax. Do I just need to give up on this simple pleasure for the next decade until I move back to the suburbs? Has anyone living in a big city been able to find a place where they can do a full wash themselves?

I guess if I get desperate, I can always just do a rush job with a bucket and mitt in a coin-op spray wash?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Space Grey View Post
Since moving to San Francisco, I've really missed those Saturday afternoons when I could park the car in the driveway and spend a few hours on a nice handwash and wax. Do I just need to give up on this simple pleasure for the next decade until I move back to the suburbs? Has anyone living in a big city been able to find a place where they can do a full wash themselves?

I guess if I get desperate, I can always just do a rush job with a bucket and mitt in a coin-op spray wash?
Do you live in an apartment complex????? If so.... look into some of the water-less/ rinse-less products. Where in SF are you???? There aren't many coin-op spray wash places in the city. I know of only 2 ( one on Geary and another by south of Market).
      10-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Do you live in an apartment complex????? If so.... look into some of the water-less/ rinse-less products. Where in SF are you???? There aren't many coin-op spray wash places in the city. I know of only 2 ( one on Geary and another by south of Market).
I live by the ballpark in SOMA (Go Giants!). I usually go to the wash at 10th and Harrison, though the area's a little sketchy after dark. Rinse-less might be the way to go--thanks for the tip. I'm checking out Optimum No Rinse wash now... I could just grab a bucket of water and do that in 30 min in a parallel parking space or cul de sac.
      10-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I live by the ballpark in SOMA (Go Giants!). I usually go to the wash at 10th and Harrison, though the area's a little sketchy after dark. Rinse-less might be the way to go--thanks for the tip. I'm checking out Optimum No Rinse wash now... I could just grab a bucket of water and do that in 30 min in a parallel parking space or cul de sac.
For better results..... use the 2 buckets method with grid guards or the "Gary Dean" method. ONR is a great product with many uses. CG Eco Wash is another one. Make sure you have some good quality MF towels and not those AutoZone or Costco Crap to ensure a swirl free finish. Over 90% of the swirls you see in cars were induced from improper washing techniques.

Let me know if you need more info. GO GIANTS!!!!!

BTW.... did you see the parade today????? Over 1 Million fans showed up.
      11-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Does SanFran have any self-wash bays? I would never never never never never never use their brushes, and probably not even their soap, but it would be a place to get water and a hose.

The ONR and other rinse-free options are good too.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Does SanFran have any self-wash bays? I would never never never never never never use their brushes, and probably not even their soap, but it would be a place to get water and a hose.

The ONR and other rinse-free options are good too.
id do this. use the sprayer, hose down the car, wash, rinse.

Than in your parking lot, a friends driveway, whatever.... use a waterless or rinsless wash. vac interior, windows, polish, etc etc
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post

Than in your parking lot, a friends driveway, whatever.... use a waterless or rinsless wash. vac interior, windows, polish, etc etc
Fun story - The night before an e90post meetup back in 2007 or 2008, I went to a cousin-in-law's home at 10:30pm to give the car a wash with his hose and on his driveway.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post

This is what I do, and I stay away from the brushes and soaps for sure. Most car wash places don't mind as long as its not the busy time.

Oh, and have fun filling the soap and rinse buckets, its a challenge getting those filled with the power wash wand and not soaking yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Optimum No Rinse with a quality microfiber towel wiping in one direction. Then Optimum Car Wax to top.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep

SF doesn't have many coin-op washes, but there's one at 10th and Harrison that's alright I guess. Yeah I know better than to use those brushes... I cringe whenever I see someone pick one up.

I missed the Giants' parade--busy at the job that pays for the car unfortunately.

I'm definitely going to try ONR, then I might follow it up with Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical instead of the spray wax.

Thanks for the tips, all.
      11-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
SF doesn't have many coin-op washes, but there's one at 10th and Harrison that's alright I guess. Yeah I know better than to use those brushes... I cringe whenever I see someone pick one up.

I missed the Giants' parade--busy at the job that pays for the car unfortunately.

I'm definitely going to try ONR, then I might follow it up with Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical instead of the spray wax.

Thanks for the tips, all.
I work (my main job) in downtown SF so there was no way to avoid the parade. There definitely were more fans this time around. It was a sea of Orange and Black.

Look up "Geary Dean Method" on Youtube. This method is probably the best approach in your situation. It requires only one bucket, a sprayer, ONR, Quick Detailer, and about a dozen good quality 2 sided MF towels.

I shown this method to a few of my clients (those who didn't want to deal with the hassle of a full blown wash ) and they all seemed to like it a lot .

Let me know if you have any questions.
      11-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
DC_driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 330i

Wash it on the street

I try to get a spot on the street in front of my apartment when someone moves their car. Otherwise I double park and drag the hose out to the street and wash it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
Ryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

ONR is amazing stuff.
Don't recommend the waterless washes though, seen lots of swirls with people that use those frequently.
Appreciate 0