E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Weird noise

12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Weird noise

any know what this noise is? I hear it from time to time and it gets really annoying sometimes. Is it my electric water pump? is it normal? Its been like this for a while and it hasnt been this loud before. Every time i take it to the dealer it goes away

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
NoImDirtyDan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sounds like static from the speakers? My mom got a loner car and that same thing happened, she went back to the dealer but the noise went away...still gave her a different car. Same thing happened a second time with an F30 loner, not as loud and obnoxious that time.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsix View Post
Sounds like static from the speakers? My mom got a loner car and that same thing happened, she went back to the dealer but the noise went away...still gave her a different car. Same thing happened a second time with an F30 loner, not as loud and obnoxious that time.
definitely not static. I had checked if it was static a long time ago when I first noticed it. It made the noise even when I was replacing all of my interior audio and I had all my speakers out of the car.

The noise is really loud when Im idling and when I drive its still loud, but when I hit the brakes the sound kind of goes down when my car nose dives, but comes back when my car evens out.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
NoImDirtyDan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hm thats interesting, I honestly could not relate that kind of sound to something else...I would say go to the dealer but they are notorious for not fixing the problem (from my experience anyway)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsix View Post
Hm thats interesting, I honestly could not relate that kind of sound to something else...I would say go to the dealer but they are notorious for not fixing the problem (from my experience anyway)
ahh, the dealer is really good with my car. Esp when it comes with all the mods. It's just that everytime i go to the dealer, the sound goes away.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
NoImDirtyDan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneout View Post
ahh, the dealer is really good with my car. Esp when it comes with all the mods. It's just that everytime i go to the dealer, the sound goes away.
Perhaps you can take that recording to them so they can hear it? I've done that before and they had accepted it as a valid source, except my issue was a dripped/swooshing water sound coming from the A/C vent when the A/C was running.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Jammed servo motor on one of your a/c flaps?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0