E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Service due already?

10-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
mccoy
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport touring

Service due already?

Hi guys, I've already run a search but I can't establish whether I need a service or not..

Basically i bought my car (2007 e91 320d) 4 months ago. Service booklet says it had a service carried out in May at 56235 miles. The car has now done 65000 miles and the service light has indicated a service is due.

So, what I'm wondering is do I need a service now or could it be possible that the service indicator wasn't reset at the previous service (July 2011 - 48587 miles)

Cheers. Will
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Who did the service? Dealer or non dealer?
Does it say what was done?

as the service is CBS (condition based on your driving) it will flag up certain things at different intervals. Or it maybe as you say it wasnt reset last time. If the serivce was done at a dealer then I would be heading back and get them to scan you key and see what needs doing and whether it corresponds to your last service i.e. if the oil serivce came up now and 4 months back they changed the oil i would be questioning why the trip hadnt been reset
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

While it is possible the service indicator wasn't reset at the last service, I would be servicing it anyway. Its almost 10k since its last service, and while it has only been a few months, the car is new to you, and you don't know who did the last service.

In general, I always ask for the dealer to service the car before I buy it, or if its a private sale / independent, I would usually bargain the price down and get the service done myself. Then at least I know its been done either by myself, or someone I know / trust.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
mccoy
Private
Rep

Cool, It says in the book it was done by Harwoods BMW in Basingstoke - I'm in Birmingham so don't really want to be tripping down there..

On the tick list in the service book, it says Engine oil, Micro Filter, Air cleaner element and Fuel Filter were done - so just a minor service i think.
I just replaced the rear pads myself as they came up as an advisory on my recent MOT.

I got the car through a dealer but as a trade sale through a contact of mine so basically have no-one to go back to.

I think the best thing to do would be to take it to the local BMW dealer and see what they say. I suppose chucking it in for a full service can't do any harm - only to my bank balance!

On that note, what does a full service at a dealer cost nowadays?

Cheers Fellas!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

To be fair to these cars they don't exactly ask for much. I would do what is required based on this list as doing everything at a dealer just because may cost a small fortune without real need.

Oil is every 15k or 2yrs (my obc reckons 21k), air filter every 3rd oil change or 45k, brake fluid 2yrs, cabin filter is condition based but usually 2yrs, fuel filter every 4yrs. These have been taken from Haynes manual and obc requests I've had.
      10-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I definitely wouldn't be taking it to BMW for a service!!!

Check the CBS indicator as to what service is required; it may just require a microfilter service.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Hi guys, I've already run a search but I can't establish whether I need a service or not..

Basically i bought my car (2007 e91 320d) 4 months ago. Service booklet says it had a service carried out in May at 56235 miles. The car has now done 65000 miles and the service light has indicated a service is due.

So, what I'm wondering is do I need a service now or could it be possible that the service indicator wasn't reset at the previous service (July 2011 - 48587 miles)

Cheers. Will
Which service?

There are 2 basic service types. An oil change and an inspection.

From memory, the service light for one is an oil can and the other a picture of the car on ramps.

On my 335D I had it where the oil service was due one month and the inspection was due just 3 weeks later as they both run on their own timers.

So it could be that it has an oil change not so long ago but now wants an inspection as well (or the other way around)
      10-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
mccoy
Private
Rep

This is what the service menu says, It doesnt look like I need an oil service for a while but exactly what do you think i do need?

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
spodoinklehorse
T.B.C.
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 06 LeMans Blue 320D MSport

Arent the 1st and last pictures brake pads?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
This is what the service menu says, It doesnt look like I need an oil service for a while but exactly what do you think i do need?

Your first pic is about front brake pads.
Somebody tried to reset its value and hence car is on _ _ _.

You will need to check your front brakes manually and rears are due anyway.

Worth of getting all 4 done at the same time if your fronts are low too.

Also the one with 09/12 is for inspection / MOT / Emission test.

You can set it to your MOT date after getting into hidden menu.

Google it for the details how to reset / modify it.
      10-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

mccoy just out of interest have you done the instrument cluster conversion to white dials?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
mccoy
Private
Rep

Aha, Yes, I replaced the rear pads myself the other day and ordered and fitted a new rear sensor yesterday so I guess that needs resetting? The fronts have loads of meat left on them, I think they were done just before I got the car.

The MOT was done last week also so I shall try and access the hidden menu to reset that.

SO, If i reset the rear brake pad warning and the inspection / MOT / Emission test warning then it should be cool and no more errors/service lights on the dash?

Thanks for all of your help BTW!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Need to reset the counter for the rear pads if you've just done them. The front pad sensor is prob duff by the looks of it, so that'll need replaced and the counter reset.

As above, the other service is the emissions test which is just the MOT here. Easy to change the date.
      10-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
mccoy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
mccoy just out of interest have you done the instrument cluster conversion to white dials?
I took it apart and soldered in white LED's mate, Just playing around with the best method of making the needles red. I'm currently running standard needles coloured red by a sharpie but I don't think they let enough light through so are dark and hard to see easily. I ordered the red M3 needles off Bimmian in the States but they are crap.. Really bad quality and still let the white light shine through.... Back to the drawing board on the needles i think!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
mccoy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Need to reset the counter for the rear pads if you've just done them. The front pad sensor is prob duff by the looks of it, so that'll need replaced and the counter reset.

As above, the other service is the emissions test which is just the MOT here. Easy to change the date.
Brilliant! Cheers! I'll get the front sensor replaced asap and reset all of the counters when i get home.. Hopefully that will be me sorted for the next 11000 miles till it needs a proper service!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
mccoy
Private
Rep

Ok, a quick google and I found this, Might be help to somebody in the same situation!!

Appreciate 0