E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > Anyone try southbay BMW in Torrence, CA?

11-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Stickit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 5-series

Anyone try southbay BMW in Torrence, CA?

These guys http://www.southbaybmw.com/. I went to another BMW dealership which i will not name and i saw kids working in the tech. If im going to pay premium i want some one with experience to touch my baby. Has anyone been there and would like to share their experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I turned in a leased E90 there last year. . .
Nicest dealership i've been to.
Hot little girl working the front desk too.
She actually did my lease end inspection.
Good experience
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

ummmh ok.... first of all i don't know why are you calling someone a "kid" who is working at a dealership (as far as i know you have to be 18 or higher) 2nd of all i am pretty sure if they are working there they know what they are doing and 3rd of all don't call 18 year old people "kids" they are teenagers and + i am sure you didn't feel like an 18 year old KID when you were at that age. and you were not calling your self a KID when someone asked for your age.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by godora View Post
ummmh ok.... first of all i don't know why are you calling someone a "kid" who is working at a dealership (as far as i know you have to be 18 or higher) 2nd of all i am pretty sure if they are working there they know what they are doing and 3rd of all don't call 18 year old people "kids" they are teenagers and + i am sure you didn't feel like an 18 year old KID when you were at that age. and you were not calling your self a KID when someone asked for your age.
^Coming from a KID that doesn't even have a CAR. . .
Let alone a BMW.
So Kid, (Which only say because you're so immature and defensive about it), Maybe when or if you ever get the pleasure of owning your own BMW, then maybe you will understand where the OP is coming from and not wanting someone who looks too you to have the proper experience, touching their expensive property.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickit View Post
These guys http://www.southbaybmw.com/. I went to another BMW dealership which i will not name and i saw kids working in the tech. If im going to pay premium i want some one with experience to touch my baby. Has anyone been there and would like to share their experience?

I haven't had any experience with them but I recently had inspection I done @ an independent shop in Arcadia that is highly recommended (from reviews and personal experience). If you car isn't under warranty (i.e. you're paying for the service) it's worth a look. The guy is a BMW and Ferrari lover with many years of dealership experience. The place is called European Auto Works. I paid $200 for Inspection I vs. $550 (cheapest dealer quote I got).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I haven't had any experience with them but I recently had inspection I done @ an independent shop in Arcadia that is highly recommended (from reviews and personal experience). If you car isn't under warranty (i.e. you're paying for the service) it's worth a look. The guy is a BMW and Ferrari lover with many years of dealership experience. The place is called European Auto Works. I paid $200 for Inspection I vs. $550 (cheapest dealer quote I got).
I've heard of this but never been. . .
Glad to hear you had a good experience with them
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

I am a technician at South Bay BMW. If you need some help let me know. Although I might be considered one of the "kids" you speak of, as I'm 22 years old. However, please realize that most of us have extensive training. My training includes graduating from UTI (www.uti.edu) at the top of my class with numerous awards. Many classes from the BMW training catalog, and hands on experience. Please understand that a "kid" working for BMW is not the same kid working at Jiffy Lube, or the Hyundai dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
I am a technician at South Bay BMW. If you need some help let me know. Although I might be considered one of the "kids" you speak of, as I'm 22 years old. However, please realize that most of us have extensive training. My training includes graduating from UTI (www.uti.edu) at the top of my class with numerous awards. Many classes from the BMW training catalog, and hands on experience. Please understand that a "kid" working for BMW is not the same kid working at Jiffy Lube, or the Hyundai dealer.
Damn that's pretty cool man.
I'm also 22yrs old and have considered becoming a BMW tech but i heard the trainning is pretty long and intense.
How long did it take for you to finish up your schooling and land a job?
Also, what is the average starting salary for a BMW tech?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 01:18 AM   #9
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

If you can find another way to make money, I would suggest looking into that first. It's not a bad job, but there are better out there. Plus, the money used to be better, from what I'm told. UTI is a one year school. 5 days a week, 6 hours a day. You learn the basics of cars there (engine, trans, suspension, brakes, diffs, electrical, etc). If you do well enough in school, you can go to one of the manufacturer specific courses paid for by the dealer you will end up working for (many courses; audi, vw, bmw, porsche, ford, volvo, jaguar, and a few others). Or if you don't do well enough to get into those, there are a few that you can pay for yourself.
I wish I would have gone into the BMW program, but I didn't. I ended up moving to be closer to family, and starting out at a GM dealership. When I moved back to Cali (Palm Springs), I walked in the door and was hired on the spot because of my schooling and experience. When I was ready to move closer to the beach, I again walked into a dealership and got hired on the spot.
It's really hard to give an average starting pay. The way we get paid is called flat rate. If a certain job pays 1.0 hour, then no matter how long it takes you, you get paid 1.0 hour. If you take 3 hours to do it, you get paid 1.0 hour. If it takes you 5 minutes to do it, you get paid 1.0 hour. And the pay rate greatly varies by dealer. I've heard of master techs making anywhere from $20-$35 per hour. Just depends on the actual dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 01:20 AM   #10
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Awesome.
Thanks for the info man.
I'm Paul BTW.
Appreciate 0