E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > UK servicing question - I need to be sure

08-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
jammy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

UK servicing question - I need to be sure

Hi there,

I've read back through a load of posts on this but I want to make sure I've understood correctly. When you start the engine the computer briefly pops up a service mileage - as I understand it this is the amount of miles left before you need to get the car serviced.

You can also go into the computer and see the amount of miles left against certain servicable components eg air filters etc.

I need to be sure because my car (e90) is a company lease and the lease company phoned me up and told me that the car was due a service after 12 months and because I had not taken it in my lease insurance was void until I do (the car is 14 months old and has about 11,500miles on it).

A SERVICE light did pop up on the car about 8 weeks ago and I took it into a BMW service dealership (who were really, really awful) and they gave it back saying the indicator was faulty, they had reset it, and that it didn't need servicing.

Any help with this is greatly apprciated
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy
Hi there,

I've read back through a load of posts on this but I want to make sure I've understood correctly. When you start the engine the computer briefly pops up a service mileage - as I understand it this is the amount of miles left before you need to get the car serviced.

You can also go into the computer and see the amount of miles left against certain servicable components eg air filters etc.

I need to be sure because my car (e90) is a company lease and the lease company phoned me up and told me that the car was due a service after 12 months and because I had not taken it in my lease insurance was void until I do (the car is 14 months old and has about 11,500miles on it).

A SERVICE light did pop up on the car about 8 weeks ago and I took it into a BMW service dealership (who were really, really awful) and they gave it back saying the indicator was faulty, they had reset it, and that it didn't need servicing.

Any help with this is greatly apprciated
Hi jammy.

Page 8 of your service booklet shows you are correct:
"The distance remaining to the next routine maintenance and its date are displayed to you briefly after the engine has been started or the ignition switched on."

The service requirements are also stored on the keyfob & its contents can be read by any BMW Service centre.
The normal service interval for the e90 is around 18k miles, which works out every 18 months, based on 12k per year.
Get in touch with your lease company so they know that info & continue your insurance.

If you aren't happy with the dealership you used, go elsewhere- it's your choice, not BMW's.

BTW- why don't you get yourself down to Donington Park on Sat Sept 23rd, for UK2: The Second UK Meet?
There will be an e90 convoy heading north from London on the morning.

More info in the links in my signature, below.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Its the milage left to go before your service

The service is at this milage or after 24Months ( the computer also shows that date )

BMW doesnt call for a 12 month service ( except in the USA )