E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Left Problem: Brakes/Handbrake Feels Like its Slightly on and gets Very Warm

08-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
nadz87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D SE

Rear Left Problem: Brakes/Handbrake Feels Like its Slightly on and gets Very Warm

The rear left (opposite to driver side) has recently started to feel like the brake is slightly on all the time. I believe I felt it happen suddenly whilst driving, it just gives a different feel although I don't think you'd notice if you were new to the car.
  • It doesn't roll down certain hills as fast as it used to, I can tell as I use these few roads every day (similar when stood still).
  • It also gets very very hot from a short journey.
  • It smells a little funny like it is the brakes/discs.
  • Once or twice has started to creak as the wheel goes round and round.

I have a BMW E90 SE which is about 6 years old and has about 60k mileage. I do have the rear brakes due (they have about 3mm remaining), could it just be related to that? Could it be the handbrake needs adjusting? I'm just trying to understand what the actual problem is and maybe to cut down any investigative costs, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
nadz87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D SE

When I searched for this issue I couldn't find anything similar as I didn't know what the problem could be but the rotational based squeaking / creaking may be the issue similar to the following:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354684

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697365

I'll continue to read but it looks like a full pad/disc change and handbrake adjustment may resolve it, although some saying it may only be a temporary fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Just have the brake re-adjusted. I had an issue with mine where someone adjusted it too tight and it was dragging. My hand brake and rotor was subsequently damaged.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0