E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > UPVC window lock repair

10-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

UPVC window lock repair

I have a UPVC double glazed bathroom window which hinges along the top. The locking mechanism comprises of 2 sliding locking pins in the bottom edge of the window which locate into metal slots set in the lower window frame. The handle on the window has snapped off. The windows are probably 20 years old and Ive know idea who made or installed them

Does anyone know where one can obtain replacement lock mechanisms ?
      10-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Usually have the brand or logo on the metal plate, that the pins come out of.

Well mine did on my door, went straight to the manufacturer, who were happy to supply direct.

From what I have been told there are only about three brands used in all windows, as with the extruded UPVC section the windows are made from.

So should be relatively easy to find, as long as they still manufacture your type.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
Usually have the brand or logo on the metal plate, that the pins come out of.

Well mine did on my door, went straight to the manufacturer, who were happy to supply direct.

From what I have been told there are only about three brands used in all windows, as with the extruded UPVC section the windows are made from.

So should be relatively easy to find, as long as they still manufacture your type.
OK thanks - I'll get a mirror and use m camera to see what's on the underside of the window.
      10-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Have you tried levering the caps off the screws that hold the handle on, then undoing them - the handle is usually a square and replacements can be had cheaply (try Screwfix - they do hinges for uPVC too).
If you can't get the handle moved because it's locked - try a number of keys or a thin blade screwdriver, because the locks are usually pretty rubbish. If all else fails, then a large screwdriver jammed in the lock and twist - the handle's goosed anyway!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
masud ali
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

lock repair

Locksmith is a person who helps from being locked out of your home to issues like changing and replacing locks.I have to replace my locks because we just moved in to our new home.So i am looking for a locksmith to fix some new locks into my new home.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have since discovered that UPVC windows have standard fitting handles. You can change them very easily for a few £s each - from a variety on on-line sites inc Screwfix. I guess people move houses and want to change all the fittings from gold to chrome or white for instance - its simples.