E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Newbie Question, Compound, Polish and Wax?

09-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Newbie Question, Compound, Polish and Wax?

Hello Everyone,

Awesome Forum! I have a question for some of you pro's. Years back i really enjoyed spending alot of my time detailing my cars but as of recent i've lost that desire. In any event, I took my car to two detailing shops and was offered the following;

1st shop = Simonize > Polish > Wax
2nd shop = Compound > Polish > Wax

I guess my question is whats the difference between Simonize vs. Compound and which is the better of the two?

Just to offer some insight, its for a 06 3 series BMW. My paint looks pretty good. It has a nice shine, however if you look closely the paint has some surface scratches. I know the following pic is not the best quality, it was taken with my phone.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Bmwe90sg
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

never heard of simonize. compound is usual
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
335isGuy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw 340xi Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
Hello Everyone,

Awesome Forum! I have a question for some of you pro's. Years back i really enjoyed spending alot of my time detailing my cars but as of recent i've lost that desire. In any event, I took my car to two detailing shops and was offered the following;

1st shop = Simonize > Polish > Wax
2nd shop = Compound > Polish > Wax

I guess my question is whats the difference between Simonize vs. Compound and which is the better of the two?

Just to offer some insight, its for a 06 3 series BMW. My paint looks pretty good. It has a nice shine, however if you look closely the paint has some surface scratches. I know the following pic is not the best quality, it was taken with my phone.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Stay away from Simonz. They are horrible. For Polishing/Compounding there is so many different types of formulas/pad combinations that you will have to research and test to find out which will work for you. Now without any close up pics of your paint. Megs M105 with a yellow pad would be a good start with a DA. Followed by a sealant or wax. But you must prep the paint before you can start polishing (ie. Clay).

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isGuy View Post
Stay away from Simonz. They are horrible. For Polishing/Compounding there is so many different types of formulas/pad combinations that you will have to research and test to find out which will work for you. Now without any close up pics of your paint. Megs M105 with a yellow pad would be a good start with a DA. Followed by a sealant or wax. But you must prep the paint before you can start polishing (ie. Clay).

Hope that helps.
+1

A close-up pic of your paint is the missing component. We need to know how bad your paint is. For example, my car had no visible swirls but there was some hazing that I had caused with polishing compound. That said, I washed, dried, clay bar'd, polished (with Porter-Cable random orbiter), sealed, and then waxed. No more hazing with a perfect mirror finish.

Again, it depends on the quality of your finish.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

An in-focus direct sunlight shot is the only real tell for paint's condition. Lower lighting indirect-sunlight shots are, by nature, very reflective and hide blemishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerlover76 View Post
+1

A close-up pic of your paint is the missing component. We need to know how bad your paint is. For example, my car had no visible swirls but there was some hazing that I had caused with polishing compound. That said, I washed, dried, clay bar'd, polished (with Porter-Cable random orbiter), sealed, and then waxed. No more hazing with a perfect mirror finish.

Again, it depends on the quality of your finish.
Appreciate 0