E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Power folding mirror problem

05-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #45
dlpuette
BMW / Harley Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Electric Red 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Did the wire clip yesterday and all is at peace. Have had this 330 for almost 6 yrs and never once used the folding mirrors. I won't miss what I don't use! But I'm sure happy not to have followed the dealer's word that the whole mirror has to be replaced for huge$$$

Thank you for reaponding and fixing my issue in 5 minutes!!

Gotta love forums!!!

Electric Red / Beige 06 330i Manny Tranny
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Muffler Delete, Hardwire Valentine One, Colgan Sport Bra w/logo cutout
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #46
JimKW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330xi

I just snipped the wires also. I have tried everything on this thread to get it to work. Finally I got it lined up right and it worked fine for a couple months when I never put the mirrirs in. The one day this week I was opening the left front window with gloves on and I accidently hit the button to retract the mirrors and it's been messed up every since and I could not get it lined up right again. Now I should never worry about it. Took all of 5 minutes.
2003 Dark Blue Toyota 4Runner V8
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #47
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

I had the same problem a few months ago and I fixed it somehow.
Now it's happening again and I've tried everything to fixed it besides opening the mirror up.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #48
alessiobat
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sedan

I decided after inspecting mine, to just cut the wire that powers the folding(will not affect the dipping feature) and look for a replacement on ebay, which I found for just over 100 bucks, if' like watch the video to be sure you cut the right wire. How many times do you really use the folding mirror anyway!?lol
Appreciate 1
Rupes1055.50
      03-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #49
Stone_Mtl
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335xi

hi guys, have the same issue on my 07 335xi took some pictures and i finally just cut the white wire like the previous post , the only problem i think would be the position sensor that goes bad, i checked the plug first for bad connection or dirt and all was clean. heres some pics to show how it looked and stuff. thx alessiobat for the info. gonna check on ebay for a replacement this summer. in the mean time no more hassle to hold mirror in place when unlocking the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #50
MorrenCraige
Rep
Drives: BWM 7 series

I'll end up living with this through winter, but will look inti in the spring. And who knows, maybe it will line up on its own aftera bunch of cycling.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #51
moneil1
Rep
Drives: e92 335i xdrive

Wonderful! Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOChuck View Post
I put this issue to bed once and for all by cutting the power to that motor. The only consequence, you'll lose the ability to fold in the mirrors using the button on the door. The mirror will still adjust, heat, dim and dip when you put it in reverse.

Press the lock and unlock on the fob while holding the mirror in the place you want, and eventually the clogs will lock in the right spot.

Once happy with the placement, remove the mirror cover by pulling straight back. As you can see from the photo below there are 4 tabs (circled in white) that hold it into place. The two items marked in blue are just for alignment.

Next cut the white wire (circled in red) and wrap the ends in electrical tape.

Line up the mirror cover and push it back on. Problem solved in 5 mins.
You sir are a scholar and a gentleman! Had this problem with the passenger side of my E92. Five minute fix at $0 cost. Dealer quoted my $730 to replace the mirror guts. Who needs the fold option at that price. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #52
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Well my mirror fixed itself a little a month ago when the weather get warmer. I guess when it gets cold and snows something messes up in there.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #53
Cir14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 328xi M-Sport Sedan

Anyone is the Philly area experiencing this issue? I'm tempted to attempt and remove the cover’s myself & cut the white wire everyone in the previous posts mentions but with my luck I'll break the clips on the cover. Shoot me a PM if there’s anything i should keep in mind except for be careful. Heck if u want to help me out do it for me I'll buy the drinks; its driving me crazy. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #54
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I use my folding mirrors all the time and never had this issue. They are getting a little louder but I think is lack of grease between the base and the actual mirror. Someone here mentioned he opened his mirrors and added grease and fixed them. I will try that.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #55
jmftexas
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335 / F30 335i

Thanks for the tips guys. My drivers side mirror has gone crazy the last month or so and it was driving me insane. I cut the white wire and now all appears to be quiet.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #56
wankel boy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

oiled

One of mine was trying to move but only getting 5° to 10°. I think they are designed to stop pushing when they hit the end of travel and detect a rise in motor current. Or in this case, the current limit was tripping right away due to a sticky mechanism. It sounded just like the good one stopping at the end of travel.

I squirted some medium oil in where the white and yellow wires enter, and also under the main bushing and around the spring on top. Now it works.

Yes, it would have been better to take it all apart, clean it, and grease it. I didn't see a way to do that without taking the door trim panel off.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #57
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Take the mirror out and put electrical grease in the fittings.

Also, take the back cover off the mirrors and spray some good white lithium grease on the spring and put the cover back on.

Put it back together and do the suggested above. Fold the mirrors in and then manually move the broken one out about 45-60 degrees. Then rotate the mirrors out. The broken mirror will go cockeyed again. Not to worry. Rotate them back in and you will hear it grind and click once the mirror comes back to the car. This should fix it. Push the rotate button one more time to see if it goes 90 degrees and stops like it's supposed to.

If not, you may need to buy the motor in there. It's about $165.00 on ECS tuning 😒

I had this problem with my 07 335i and did the above. Problem solved
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #58
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

I had this issue a few weeks ago - I folded the mirror in manually (crunch), and cycled the mirrors a few times. It locked into proper position and has been fine ever since.

Seems like happens to a lot of people!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #59
esamh
Registered
Rep
Drives: Arctic White 330i

Hello - I tried to find the most relevant post to ask this question.
I'm replacing my right side mirror and have found a few options on ebay. My mirrors never folded automatically, instead I used the button next to my mirror controls to do so. My question is do all mirrors allow for this, or do some come completely static and not foldable?

Thanks,
Esam

Model 330i 2008.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:13 PM   #60
zort
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

This just worked for me. Just followed the steps -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=747588

I took the following steps in this order:
1. Ensure car is locked and your mirrors are in their normal position. Which you would've done manually last time you used the car.
2. Unlock the car and they will fold outwards. Both passenger and driver side.
3. focus only on fixing the driver side the proper way and don't worry about the passenger mirror
4. Take the manual key out of your fob and lock the car until both mirrors fold inwards
5. unlock the car by holding the unlock button and having all your windows come down. I did this till all four windows were down, mirrors folded outward (of course) and part of my sun roof opened.
6. fold the driver side from the outward position to inward until you hear a click. don't bring it all the way in and it will look like its still not in the proper place.
7. leave your passenger side mirror in its outward position
8. lock the car normally with the remote, wait few seconds and unlock.
9. mirrors should not move outwards -
10. manually adjust both mirrors in the position that you use for driving
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #61
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zort View Post
This just worked for me. Just followed the steps -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=747588

I took the following steps in this order:
1. Ensure car is locked and your mirrors are in their normal position. Which you would've done manually last time you used the car.
2. Unlock the car and they will fold outwards. Both passenger and driver side.
3. focus only on fixing the driver side the proper way and don't worry about the passenger mirror
4. Take the manual key out of your fob and lock the car until both mirrors fold inwards
5. unlock the car by holding the unlock button and having all your windows come down. I did this till all four windows were down, mirrors folded outward (of course) and part of my sun roof opened.
6. fold the driver side from the outward position to inward until you hear a click. don't bring it all the way in and it will look like its still not in the proper place.
7. leave your passenger side mirror in its outward position
8. lock the car normally with the remote, wait few seconds and unlock.
9. mirrors should not move outwards -
10. manually adjust both mirrors in the position that you use for driving
Hi, this series of steps seems to have changed something in my mirror position. First of all my mirrors don't automatically unfold and fold when locking unlocking. After doing these steps my mirror stopped while unfolding! But it was not in the correct position. After the next cycle I had the same problem as before. Still going all the way when unfolding.

I can't believe so many people recommend cutting the wire. There has to be a bad contact or sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #62
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknar View Post
Hi, this series of steps seems to have changed something in my mirror position. First of all my mirrors don't automatically unfold and fold when locking unlocking. After doing these steps my mirror stopped while unfolding! But it was not in the correct position. After the next cycle I had the same problem as before. Still going all the way when unfolding.

I can't believe so many people recommend cutting the wire. There has to be a bad contact or sensor.

it appears manually forcing the mirror back and cutting the wire is the caveman solution to an electrical problem.

I have the same issue on the M3 today and through a few more searches, I found out there's an actual BMW TSB for it. I couldn't find the actual TSB DIY, but I did find a few people who followed the TSB, which is simply removing the glass backing, then cleaning the electric connectors in the motor.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683764
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewto...?f=26&t=219244

I haven't tried it yet, but it appears it's been a more successful less destructive way of fixing the problem.
      02-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #63
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
it appears manually forcing the mirror back and cutting the wire is the caveman solution to an electrical problem.

I have the same issue on the M3 today and through a few more searches, I found out there's an actual BMW TSB for it. I couldn't find the actual TSB DIY, but I did find a few people who followed the TSB, which is simply removing the glass backing, then cleaning the electric connectors in the motor.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683764
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewto...?f=26&t=219244

I haven't tried it yet, but it appears it's been a more successful less destructive way of fixing the problem.
This seems like it concerns mirror plate position motor..we're talking about the side mirror folding motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #64
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
This seems like it concerns mirror plate position motor..we're talking about the side mirror folding motor.
The 10 step process above was my cure
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #65
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
The 10 step process above was my cure
Again, this seems like a fix for the side mirror adjustments. Do you have electric folding mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #66
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Again, this seems like a fix for the side mirror adjustments. Do you have electric folding mirrors?
Yeah, I have electric folding.
Appreciate 0