E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Door looks

09-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
Quickbim
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

Door looks

Hey guys I just got a 2008 335i my key fob won't lock or unlock the doors if I take the manual key from the fob and try it in the door nothing happens. I have replaced fuse 56&57 with 20 amp as per what I have seen done from this post.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

The FRM actually monitors for the Hall sensor signal for the lock barrel in the driver door. A change of state in the Hall sensor, when the mechanical key is turned, initiates lock/unlock.

Downstream from the FRM (the CAS is parallel to the FRM, both upstream from the JBE) the JBE actually activates the lock actuators.

You could suspect the FRM or the JBE (or the lockbarrel...but since the remote doesn't work either, it's not the lock barrell itself!)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Quickbim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
The FRM actually monitors for the Hall sensor signal for the lock barrel in the driver door. A change of state in the Hall sensor, when the mechanical key is turned, initiates lock/unlock.

Downstream from the FRM (the CAS is parallel to the FRM, both upstream from the JBE) the JBE actually activates the lock actuators.

You could suspect the FRM or the JBE (or the lockbarrel...but since the remote doesn't work either, it's not the lock barrell itself!)
I'm sorry but can you dumb it down for me idk what frm or cas is
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

This happened to me. I was using the wrong key. It was for another car.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

The FRM is a module located near the driver's left calf, so is the CAS. The FRM monitors the keyslot to see if a key has been inserted and the lock tumbler turned to lock/unlock, then it sends a message to the JBE module to send voltage to the lock actuators, which is what actually is the lock/unlock mechanism. So either
  • the lock tumbler electronics is not sending a signal to the FRM
  • the FRM is not receiving the signal from the tumbler
  • the FRM is not sending a signal to the JBE
  • the JBE is not receiving a signal from the FRM
  • the JBE is not sending a signal to the lock actuator
  • the lock actuator is not getting a signal from the JBE
  • the lock actuator is getting a signal but is unable to actuate itself

so the diagnosis is finding which of two modules (FRM or JBE), or which of two devices (tumbler electronics or lock actuator), or if the wiring in between any two of the four components... is bad.

Since you said that the metal key does not unlock things, we don't need to bother (yet) with why the radio signal (between fob and car) works or doesn't work... we gotta get the most basic part to work first!

As for patents' comment in post #4, the mechanical key has a chip in it with an ID code; so it is possible to somehow get a key (used car, y'know) which turns in the lock but has the wrong ID code...so the signal will not be sent to unlock your door!

And someone has reported that their (non-CA) fob battery (rechargeable, gets charge while in the dash slot) had gone bad, and he had to buy a new fob from the dealer (which worked!)...trying to replace the rechargeable battery (eBay) himself failed to get his fob functional again.

Last edited by Wilt; 09-23-2015 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

this is actually not true, mechanical blade should open car even without battery
      09-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Quickbim
Rep

Well does it narrow it down if my dash lock button works?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
this is actually not true, mechanical blade should open car even without battery
Yea, mine worked when battery was completely dead. Was completely mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
Quickbim
Rep

So the dash locking button works and locks the car but use ing the key will not also my fuel door now won't stay latched! I'm getting frustrated already
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #10
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Does the mechanical key rotate in the lock at all? If it doesn't, then either the lock is physically broken (or stuck or whatever) or your key is not cut to fit that lock.

Does the key fob start the car?

If the mechanical key won't turn and the remote doesn't work, those are two separate issues. Unless you were given the wrong key. It happened to me when I bought my car. The seller (individual) swore the second key he gave me fit my car. I ended up taking the key to a dealer and asked them what car it went to. They popped it in their computer and it came back to a gray 135i, which happened to be the seller's other car. I ended up getting the right key.

You may have gotten a key fob that goes to your car with just a dead battery and someone had put the wrong mechanical key in it. If the battery is dead, use that key and drive around for a bit to charge it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickbim View Post
Hey guys I just got a 2008 335i my key fob won't lock or unlock the doors if I take the manual key from the fob and try it in the door nothing happens. I have replaced fuse 56&57 with 20 amp as per what I have seen done from this post.
The FOB has a battery that needs to be recharged by driving with it in the car.
Battery dead, FOB sat to long?
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Quickbim
Rep

The key will turn in the doors just not lock them. I always drive with the fob in the dash so I figured its charged. Now my fuel door won't stay latch is it the same system
Appreciate 0