E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MMW Supercharger Update

12-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #111
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Now will all of you just shut it and quit bashing the guy? Custom headers, exhaust work, and a tuned SC kit arent exactly something you pop out in a cpl weeks. I would MUCH rather wait for everything to be tested properly.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #112
Francis M.
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 series sedan

Garage List
2010 e90  [0.00]
2010 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Now will all of you just shut it and quit bashing the guy? Custom headers, exhaust work, and a tuned SC kit arent exactly something you pop out in a cpl weeks. I would MUCH rather wait for everything to be tested properly.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Most people are just excited, especially since MMW anounced this supercharger over a year ago... The pic you posted isn't even a monted charger. The Pics of the headers were posted weeks after anouncement. I think people wanted to see the S/C unit mounted in the car. I know they are tuning the unit or atleast that's what has been posted so there should be pics of the unit installed in a car?
MODS-ST c/o- full Mtech conversion-ltbmw carbon lip/ OEM trunk lip/ performance diffuser/gloss vinyl roof/ lux8 angels/ euro air box/performance exhaust/ CCW classics/performance shifter and hand brake
performance bbk/
active xenon lights
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #113
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Most people are just excited, especially since MMW anounced this supercharger over a year ago... The pic you posted isn't even a monted charger. The Pics of the headers were posted weeks after anouncement. I think people wanted to see the S/C unit mounted in the car. I know they are tuning the unit or atleast that's what has been posted so there should be pics of the unit installed in a car?
MMW Facebook Album the day the header photos were released had a photo or two of the charger mounted in the engine bay. It was taken down immediately. Its a Vortech V3 mounted where the stock airbox goes. Use your imagination for now.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #114
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

im excited for this, put us 335 owners to shame
      12-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #115
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Hey Guys,
Let me jump in here and clarify a couple things:

#1 - the "under $8k" is for stage 2, so there is a price point far below that for stage 1 also.

#2 - Pictures will be up when the retail kit is ready to go, just a couple weeks until I have the all the branded parts and photoshoot takes place. Until then, feel free to make snyde comments

#3 - Headers are at our Ceramic's facility being coated and such, so retail pictures and shipping is due very soon also, and the locals will be in for installs soon also

Yes, this takes time, you try and get all the N52 goodies into 1 computer system controlling everything, including the valvetronic system, and then get back to me and say it only took you a couple weeks. There are other options for Supercharging if you really want a messy install with wires all over the place, that I have yet to see any real videos if it even works, just specs that say it is slower then stock projections of the model it is installed on.. that doesnt sound like much to me.

Feel free to send me hate mail, or ask questions, but when it is ready e90post will be the first to see it, hear it, and feel it. Gavin@mmotorwerks.net is my direct email.

And thank you to the few that have actually seen it, you will be rewarded lol
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #116
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Hey Guys,
Let me jump in here and clarify a couple things:

#1 - the "under $8k" is for stage 2, so there is a price point far below that for stage 1 also.

#2 - Pictures will be up when the retail kit is ready to go, just a couple weeks until I have the all the branded parts and photoshoot takes place. Until then, feel free to make snyde comments

#3 - Headers are at our Ceramic's facility being coated and such, so retail pictures and shipping is due very soon also, and the locals will be in for installs soon also

Yes, this takes time, you try and get all the N52 goodies into 1 computer system controlling everything, including the valvetronic system, and then get back to me and say it only took you a couple weeks. There are other options for Supercharging if you really want a messy install with wires all over the place, that I have yet to see any real videos if it even works, just specs that say it is slower then stock projections of the model it is installed on.. that doesnt sound like much to me.

Feel free to send me hate mail, or ask questions, but when it is ready e90post will be the first to see it, hear it, and feel it. Gavin@mmotorwerks.net is my direct email.

And thank you to the few that have actually seen it, you will be rewarded lol
+1 point Gavin

0 Points-Haters
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #117
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post

Better update tomorrow with some images and such

Gavin, It's probably best if you never even made an update, because people see stuff like this and expect you to follow through.

I would have deleted your posts until you have everything ready to go. with actual pics and pricing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #118
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
I wasn't hating, just pointing out the market for this.
      12-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #119
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Gavin, It's probably best if you never even made an update, because people see stuff like this and expect you to follow through.

I would have deleted your posts until you have everything ready to go. with actual pics and pricing.
Lol in retrospect - Probably a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #120
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
I wasn't hating, just pointing out the market for the product.

Gavin and I have too many PM's for me to bust balls here lol
      12-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #121
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

As far as buying a supercharger goes... i'd more like compare the price to getting up to stock M3 performance vs stock 335 performance... cuz if you think about it... the M3 is upwards of +$22k more than a 325/330... if you throw in the right stuff in the engine bay, you can get 420hp without spending that much...

that's just the ENGINE performance aspect... to get a true M3 performance, well... you might as well just get an M3 - better suspension, better drivetrain, better aesthetics (already comes widebody)...

If you cut out the Labor costs and just invest in the materials and do most of the suspension and body work yourself, you can shave off a couple of grand... but performance parts alone will break your wallet trying to get to M3...

The trend seems to be though comparing the NA N52 --> supercharged to the FI N54 because they would both be Forced Induction in the end... simply put... if you want that, just go with a 335. For the sake of this thread, though, is to see how far you can push the performance of the E90 N51/N52.

As for myself... i'll be working on other projects first before a $8k supercharger would be an option... i'd rather do my custom body work and transmission upgrade first before i dive into Force Induction.
Maybe if i'm lucky and get stationed in San Diego in a year or so, MMW could sponsor me a supercharger! ^__^ (hint - hint)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #122
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
As for myself... i'll be working on other projects first before a $8k supercharger would be an option... i'd rather do my custom body work and transmission upgrade first before i dive into Force Induction.
Glad we asked.

Oh wait we didn't.
      12-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #123
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Glad we asked.

Oh wait we didn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #124
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

So is there some reason people are comparing this to M's and 335s? Yes we COULD get a different car if we are interested.

I think in the end the point is that some people want to supercharge THIS fucking car, not go buy a new one. Why is that so damn bad? Is it the smartest decision financially, no, but some people don't give a fuck.

Some people don't want god damn turbos they want a supercharger. Why did you bother getting an M3 when you could get a Bugatti? Do you see where I'm going with this? People are doing it because they want to. If you don't want to then go buy your 335 (amazing car) and be happy.

There will always be something "better" depending on who you ask.

Nothing about a supercharger is a smart financial decision on ANY car. It doesn't give you anything you NEED. Some people just want it. Let them fucking have it and stop trying to sell 335's and M3's like you get a commission or something.

One final note, to those who are upset that this took a "whole year"...you need to get real. On the 06-11 generation Honda Civic Si it took several years to get a turbo kit for the damn thing and it was a piece of shit. It took like 3 years before a decent kit rolled out. Same thing with the supercharger. Unless you know exactly what is involved and can do it yourself (you don't and can't) you should just be patient. And if you literally CAN NOT WAIT and need boost now, then maybe you are the type who should get a different car after all.

It is one thing to tune a boosted car, it is something else to add boost to an NA car. It is harder than you want to understand trust me.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #125
trance323i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
So is there some reason people are comparing this to M's and 335s? Yes we COULD get a different car if we are interested.

I think in the end the point is that some people want to supercharge THIS fucking car, not go buy a new one. Why is that so damn bad? Is it the smartest decision financially, no, but some people don't give a fuck.

Some people don't want god damn turbos they want a supercharger. Why did you bother getting an M3 when you could get a Bugatti? Do you see where I'm going with this? People are doing it because they want to. If you don't want to then go buy your 335 (amazing car) and be happy.

There will always be something "better" depending on who you ask.

Nothing about a supercharger is a smart financial decision on ANY car. It doesn't give you anything you NEED. Some people just want it. Let them fucking have it and stop trying to sell 335's and M3's like you get a commission or something.

One final note, to those who are upset that this took a "whole year"...you need to get real. On the 06-11 generation Honda Civic Si it took several years to get a turbo kit for the damn thing and it was a piece of shit. It took like 3 years before a decent kit rolled out. Same thing with the supercharger. Unless you know exactly what is involved and can do it yourself (you don't and can't) you should just be patient. And if you literally CAN NOT WAIT and need boost now, then maybe you are the type who should get a different car after all.

It is one thing to tune a boosted car, it is something else to add boost to an NA car. It is harder than you want to understand trust me.
1 couldn't have said it better my self I can't wait till this kit goes on sale supercharged n52 FTW!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #126
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

For those who have an emotional attachment to their N52 powered cars and would like to supercharge the worlds lightest six cylinder engine, making it more of a technological beast than it already is, then this kit is for you.

Some may want to go the easy route, making the 335 the right choice for you. If you, like me, get chills whenever you think about winding up a supercharged straight 6, then this kit is for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #127
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
+1 to issabmw

plus warranties are up, people can take risks. the value of their car is not going to get them a new m3 or even a 335i with +8k unless you buy used/severely used.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #128
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Someone posted the arma kit was destroying transmissions. Any truth to that? How much HP can the at and Mt take?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #129
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

There is definitely something sweet sounding to what issa said,

a winding inline 6

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #130
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Someone posted the arma kit was destroying transmissions. Any truth to that? How much HP can the at and Mt take?
It was Lync9763 that posted that statement. Not sure how much truth there is to it. Here is what he said:

Quote:
I've keeping tabs on their testing and research on this unit... seems that they keep frying transmissions (automatic ones) and that's because the torque converter and 3rd and 4th gear of the steptronic transmission is only rated for 295bhp... I'd imagine with all the right upgrades for this engine, i.e. Performance radiator, intercooler, oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, methanol kit (ups the fuel octane for a cleaner burn); this kit would be very durable.
I'm not sure a transmission would have gears rated at different power, due to the fact that the engine will always produce the same amount of power at all times, and the fact that they would have no reason to vary the power between gears because the transmissions aren't made with performance upgrades in mind. The transmission is only as strong as its weakest link, meaning with 295hp rated 3rd and 4th gears, the transmission would only be rated to 295hp, if you think about it.

Some reasons that it might fail:

It could be arma's not-so-great tuning, and I say that only because their supercharger kits aren't very efficient at making power, and their ecu techniques involve a hellofa lot of wiring splices and interference.

Do e90 323s use different transmissions? Because that could be the case. He could have been talking about fried transmissions in the 318i, which I assume to have pretty weak transmissions, given the output. They do offer a 318i kit.

The ZF in the 330/325 is rated to around 340hp if I recall. I don't think BMW would give the euro 330i 272hp and mate it to a transmission that maxes at 295hp. Its a little too risky. In my past experience, there is always at least around 110hp leeway before the limit.

All in all, I'm sure the kit will be rigorously tested, and all the bugs ironed out.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #131
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

for a supercharger honestly though, you can't be expecting to destroy m3's. it is more or less for the powerband to be there not necessarily for the long run as turbo would be. SC,in my personal opinion, is great for racing on the track. not so great on the drag strip being as the supercharger would cut off or peak boost before redline unless it has a different pullet and belt tension etc.. i honestly can't wait for official word that it is OUT! i'd love to get my hands on a stage 1 at least to see how strong the power gains are.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #132
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Can't view realoem on my phone to compare the 2.5 with the 3.0. I hope they are the same and capable of handling the hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
It was Lync9763 that posted that statement. Not sure how much truth there is to it. Here is what he said:

I'm not sure a transmission would have gears rated at different power, due to the fact that the engine will always produce the same amount of power at all times, and the fact that they would have no reason to vary the power between gears because the transmissions aren't made with performance upgrades in mind. The transmission is only as strong as its weakest link, meaning with 295hp rated 3rd and 4th gears, the transmission would only be rated to 295hp, if you think about it.

Some reasons that it might fail:

It could be arma's not-so-great tuning, and I say that only because their supercharger kits aren't very efficient at making power, and their ecu techniques involve a hellofa lot of wiring splices and interference.

Do e90 323s use different transmissions? Because that could be the case. He could have been talking about fried transmissions in the 318i, which I assume to have pretty weak transmissions, given the output. They do offer a 318i kit.

The ZF in the 330/325 is rated to around 340hp if I recall. I don't think BMW would give the euro 330i 272hp and mate it to a transmission that maxes at 295hp. Its a little too risky. In my past experience, there is always at least around 110hp leeway before the limit.

All in all, I'm sure the kit will be rigorously tested, and all the bugs ironed out.
Appreciate 0