E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Paint Chip Repair

05-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

Paint Chip Repair

Hi Folks,

I have a bunch of small (size of a pen point) chips on my hood which is crimson red. The car is otherwise perfect and this is starting to annoy me.

I am pretty good with touching up and blending the touch up paint with cars and will even do some wet sanding when needed. However, I just can't get this right and was thinking about having it done professionally.

I live in Central New Jersey and I have always noticed that the used cars from the BMW dealership where I bought mine always look spotless.

I certainly do not want to respray the entire hood so I called my dealer today and they told me that they have a guy who comes in 1 day a week who specializes in these types of cosmetic repairs. They quoted me somewhere between $140- $160 to do the car and told me to let them know if I want to schedule this so that they will make sure their guy is coming in.

I have tried various methods including Dr. ColorChip and have not been happy with the results.

I was wondering if any of our Jersey members know of anyone who does this work not too far from me (or mobile) and is really good. I don't think that the price that I was quoted is bad but would like to get another estimate without going to a bodyshop that will only want to repaint the entire hood.

Car reconditioning is very much in demand these days and there must be a lot of guys doing this work but I don't know of any except the guy who does work for my dealership.

Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
jbr5049
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i w/x 6MT M-SPort

I'd like to know the same thing. I have a crimson as well with the exact same issue.

Can't wait to hear what advice is out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
freon480
12:34
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

if small chips are bothering you get the whole panel resprayed. car is painted base coat then clear coat. any touch up job will ALWAYS show.
Appreciate 0