E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Nano-coatings

11-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #23
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Also loving the almost "candy" look. Swear it makes my sparking graphite metallic look darker
      11-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

I would agree so far I have seen Opti Coat last the longest.

However I feel that Aquartz or Wolf's will give a nicer look.

Pic of Aquartz

Wolf's

Wolf's
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #25
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

i applied opti-coat to a friends car, said it was awesome for the first three months, and now he is not so sure. HOWEVER, he hasnt done anything other than a QD after a wash after...but I was told that nothing bonds to it, so waxing is almost a mute point. Marc can you chime in on that one?

HD nitro seal is pretty darn good and is supposed to last a year, and its toppable
From what I hear, wolf's bodywrap is solid, so is Cquartz/Aquartz (never used)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #26
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
i applied opti-coat to a friends car, said it was awesome for the first three months, and now he is not so sure. HOWEVER, he hasnt done anything other than a QD after a wash after...but I was told that nothing bonds to it, so waxing is almost a mute point. Marc can you chime in on that one?

HD nitro seal is pretty darn good and is supposed to last a year, and its toppable
From what I hear, wolf's bodywrap is solid, so is Cquartz/Aquartz (never used)
I can't believe people are still using the 'ol "but nothing will stick to it!"

Sure. But may I add, Blackfire is about as slick as they come to the touch, so I suppose I can't wax over that, because the wax will fall off.... right???

Let's not forget wax doesn't bond to anything, it sits on the surface as a sacrificial barrier.

I'll be Opti-Coating my car in the Spring when I take her out of storage. Afterwards, you can believe I'll still be waxing her.... even though it seems the wax will just fall to the ground if I try to
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #27
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
I can't believe people are still using the 'ol "but nothing will stick to it!"

Sure. But may I add, Blackfire is about as slick as they come to the touch, so I suppose I can't wax over that, because the wax will fall off.... right???

Let's not forget wax doesn't bond to anything, it sits on the surface as a sacrificial barrier.

I'll be Opti-Coating my car in the Spring when I take her out of storage. Afterwards, you can believe I'll still be waxing her.... even though it seems the wax will just fall to the ground if I try to
I guess the question is how much shorter is the life of a wax on top on a coating like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #28
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
I guess the question is how much shorter is the life of a wax on top on a coating like that.
I think it'd be irrelevant. With so many factors affecting durability of a product that's well known to NOT be the most durable, I'd find it hard to come up with a consistent percentage or time difference of a certain wax over Opti-Coat, versus over a sealant, versus over a pre-wax treatment like Lime Prime Lite, versus on bare paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #29
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

so waxing on top of opti-coat will darken, slicken, add wetness???? one of these days I am going to opticoat half my hood and nitroseal the other and do my own testing...two miles from the ocean, outside 24/7, rain, sun, water spotting, swirls from improper washing, etc
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #30
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Opti-Coated a new S4 with crazydrummer today, lots black and is a mirror. I'll let you guys know how it holds up in the real world, as it will be daily driven, I'll try and get some pics.
Appreciate 0