E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Hope it's not broken!

03-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
driver_02
punisher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi & 2008 E90 335i

Hope it's not broken!

So, over the weekend I had the car up on a lift and was getting ready to install my new DPs... much to my chagrin, when I got all the plastic off, I noticed that my front diff was leaking significantly! To top things off, I noticed a good bit of oil accumulation on the cold side piping after the intercooler.

Fortunately, I'm still under CPO and a maintenance plan so I dropped it off at the stealership and we'll see how it plays out... Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be anything crazy!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

waiting for update
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
driver_02
punisher
United_States
Rep

So I talked to my service rep. The news is mostly good.

1) Looks like there was a leaking seal on the front diff which will be replaced under the CPO warranty.

2) Apparently one of the oil filter seals was leaking a bit as well so they will fix that under CPO as well.

3) Regarding the oil on the cold-side piping from the intercooler... apparently the rubber o-rings have deteriorated. These are NOT covered since CPO and maintenance apparently don't count rubber stuff as replaceable. They did assure me though that there is no boost leak or anything else that might cause a catastrophic failure. This isn't a huge deal since I'll replace that part sooner than later anyway.

4) There's also an "open season" repair/recall for a battery cable that they are fixing free of charge... this is something that probably is available to most everyone as I understood it.

5) They are also going to pull the manifold to take a peek to see if there's "excessive" carbon build-up since they can do that under either warranty or CPO.

6) Although there is currently NO tune in/on the car, when they noticed the USB cable run out from under the dash (right where they are replacing the battery cable), the tech was nice enough to ask rather than pulling codes and possibly discovering codes/something that would indicate that i DO/DID have a tune and could affect my warranty...

All in all, I'm pretty happy. It'd be cooler if they would've fixed the o-rings on the charge pipe but like I said... I'll fix that myself sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
stopper
Person of Interest
United_States
Rep
Drives: A petrol-engine motorcar

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but o-rings on the charge pipe? Where are these o-rings that you're talking about?

I thought the charge pipe was secured on both ends by metal clamps, one over a rubber elbow by the intercooler, and one just at the top-side plastic piping. Do you have an aftermarket CP?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
driver_02
punisher
United_States
Rep

I'm sure the ignorance is my own...

the translation of "o-rings" should read "rubber somethings"

I'll update after I pick the car up tomorrow

and no, the only aftermarket part at the moment is the BMS DCI
Appreciate 0