E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall

10-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #155
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I like the way they worded it:

BMW to Conduct Voluntary Emissions and Safety Recalls

There must be a reason that it is being called an emnissions recall but not sure what that is. Is it becasue it has something to do with the fuel system or is it for some other legal situation reason?

Also some more great news for the resale value

BMW, ranked 23 out of 27 in the Consumer Reports survey, Tuesday underscored the challenges luxury-car makers confront as they use advanced technology to produce vehicles that can go fast while burning less fuel and polluting less. The German auto maker said it's recalling more than 150,000 vehicles built between 2007 and 2010 in two separate actions to fix faulty fuel pumps.

The recall underlined what many customers already knew. A big reason for BMW's low marks in the Consumer Reports survey was "high problem rates related to the fuel system."
      10-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #156
ssaylor
Desert Rat 1
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is - Alpine White/Blk

When it's all over, ya'all will have a new fuel pump and it'll be over, right? Be happy! That's what recalls are all about.
My BMWCCA Gallery
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #157
rag133
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Montego Blue 335i XDrive

Yeah but these NEW Fuel Pumps still will fail. There is no FIX yet, that is the problem. This recall is a BS Bandaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaylor View Post
When it's all over, ya'all will have a new fuel pump and it'll be over, right? Be happy! That's what recalls are all about.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #158
tagon
yasmin3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

i am planning to buy a 2011 335is and am a little worried that i will experience this. has it happened to anyone while driving in the freeway/highway? if so, what happens (without exageration please)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #159
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaylor View Post
Jeez man...did you not read this whole thread? THERE IS NO FIX!! Every pump they have produced has failed and that includes the "New" N55 motor. It has a documented failure already.

And what's worse is that it's almost surely not the pump!! The damn engineers won't get off their F$%kin ass and figure out what the hell the problem is. We know far more about this then they do!! That's a shame...
      10-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #160
nardoM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Nardo M4 ZCP

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagon View Post
i am planning to buy a 2011 335is and am a little worried that i will experience this. has it happened to anyone while driving in the freeway/highway? if so, what happens (without exageration please)
not on the highway, thank god, but was on a somewhat busy street (after work hours) when my car entered LIMP mode. I was cruising at a constant speed and then accelerated to about 40mph when suddenly the car started to shake/CEL started to blink and i experience a drastic drop in power (stepped on the accelerator and the car would barely move)....so i quickly turned on my hazards and slowly pulled into a small driveway before my car completely stalled.

IG: nardo.f82
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #161
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
What happens is your car shuts off while you're moving. Once you get the hang of it you simply stay in the right lane and move onto the shoulder when it happens. Most of the time, the car will restart without any problem and so you continue your trip, bring it to the dealership, who will tell you they cleared all the faults, they didn't come back, and you're good to go. Until it happens again. Basically, this process is repeated for about 6 mos. When you get really upset and the dealership sees this is the 4th visit for the same issue, they open up a PUMA case with BMW. Then, they fix the car and you get a 4-page invoice of all the things that were replaced. They could simply do the PUMA case and 4-page invoice the first time a customer complains that their car died suddendly on the expressway, but it simply costs BMW too much money to do that across 130,000 cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #162
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Jeez man...did you not read this whole thread? THERE IS NO FIX!! Every pump they have produced has failed and that includes the "New" N55 motor. It has a documented failure already.

And what's worse is that it's almost surely not the pump!! The damn engineers won't get off their F$%kin ass and figure out what the hell the problem is. We know far more about this then they do!! That's a shame...
There may not be a fix...but its possible the combination of new software and the newer pump will delay the failure.

Still bad...but better than more failures during ownership. I can't afford the time to have my car in the shop (we shall see how this plays out after four years :P)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #163
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
^^I just don't think so and I think you just contradicted yourself with your statement.

"There may not be a fix...but its possible the combination of new software and the newer pump will delay the failure."

^^^I don't get that at all. And it seems that it is something much more serious than any software only or along with any of the pumps built so far will permanently fix anything. It seems it is almost certain that something else is causing the problem with all the multiple failures.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited this is hopefully making some progress. I'm not even concerned about the value going down. I plan on keeping my car a long time unless I start having a lot of problems and I haven't so far other than a couple small things and I had my LPFP replaced. I am one of the fortunate ones so far with almost 40K on original pump (I think I am getting closer and closer to jinxing myself). But I think I've read every post about it. And just like all the other posters in this thread that have read everything about this and been keeping up with it....this is nothing new. And it's not even a recall!!! It's just more of the same BS.

This is getting so damn frustrating that BMW will not just get some damn engineers together and admit this is a serious problem that they need to figure out what the ACTUAL problem is and fix it for christ's sake.

I've said this before..that there is a guy here in Germany that works for BMW (Mechanic)..and has for some 25 years. He draws diagrams of what he thinks is causing this. He thinks that essentially, they could just produce a BIGGER pump and it wouldn't fail.
      10-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #164
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
^^I just don't think so and I think you just contradicted yourself with your statement.

"There may not be a fix...but its possible the combination of new software and the newer pump will delay the failure."

^^^I don't get that at all. And it seems that it is something much more serious than any software only or along with any of the pumps built so far will permanently fix anything. It seems it is almost certain that something else is causing the problem with all the multiple failures.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited this is hopefully making some progress. I'm not even concerned about the value going down. I plan on keeping my car a long time unless I start having a lot of problems and I haven't so far other than a couple small things and I had my LPFP replaced. I am one of the fortunate ones so far with almost 40K on original pump (I think I am getting closer and closer to jinxing myself). But I think I've read every post about it. And just like all the other posters in this thread that have read everything about this and been keeping up with it....this is nothing new. And it's not even a recall!!! It's just more of the same BS.

This is getting so damn frustrating that BMW will not just get some damn engineers together and admit this is a serious problem that they need to figure out what the ACTUAL problem is and fix it for christ's sake.

I've said this before..that there is a guy here in Germany that works for BMW (Mechanic)..and has for some 25 years. He draws diagrams of what he thinks is causing this. He thinks that essentially, they could just produce a BIGGER pump and it wouldn't fail.
Its possible that my current setup with the old pump...is likely to fail sometime soon.

The new pump may delay failure -- this is good, I haven't had a failure yet...and got 34 K Kms out of it...I'd like the new pump on recall before it fails, I go to the dealership 4 times before I throw code.

I don't have time for this nonsense, I need a car that works; hence the recall is a good thing.

As far as resale, I =bought this car and intend to run it in to the ground over 10 years. You should have known buying a 335 that resale would suck, though normally 3 series has strong resale.

You guys need to learn to take what you get; you knew about HPFP before you got into this car. Doesn't make it acceptable, but thats REAL LIFE...its unfair.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #165
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Believe me...you will never see me on here whining about shit that I knew about. I have done A LOT of mods to my car. So even if I show up there and they won't do it for me because of this, I won't come whining on here. That's the risk I'm taking doing mods. I will just pay for the pump and get it installed one way or another.

But I/we can still talk about BMW's lack of enough concern about this issue. And the fact that they all of a sudden after 4 years initiate a half ass recall. It's not even a recall for God's sake. If you take your car in right now (according to the "recall"), and you have not had any problems, they will simply inspect the car (maybe update the software) and send you on your way. And that's assuming that your SA even knows about the damn thing.

BTW, they already have the extended warranty in place for this anyway. And if you don't get on a forum like this before you buy the car, then you DON'T know about this problem.

It's just impossible for me to believe that they can't figure this thing out. I think they're being lazy about it for a few reasons. One of them being that it's not an M along with it just being a 3 series. If this was an M3 or a 5 or 7 series and it affected some higher income people, you can bet your ass there'd be a quicker/better response to this issue.
      10-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #166
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
It's just impossible for me to believe that they can't figure this thing out. I think they're being lazy about it for a few reasons. One of them being that it's not an M along with it just being a 3 series. If this was an M3 or a 5 or 7 series and it affected some higher income people, you can bet your ass there'd be a quicker/better response to this issue.
you could look at it this way...

the least selling cars are the M series, 5 and 7 series...

the highest yield is the 3 series. It would cost a lot more to service 150k cars vs 25k (M3).

Disclaimer : 25k is just a guess and not based off any production #'s

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #167
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
True....cost is absolutely a factor in this..probably THE factor. If they made the decision to actually for sure 100% FIND the solution to this problem...then they would HAVE to do an actual recall and fix every one. I think that's the main point anyway...
      10-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #168
tagon
yasmin3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

This is what scares me. I am so sold in buying the 335 but this is absolutely a hanging issue for me. I have two kids and am scared that the car will stall somewhere and get jacked.

At least Toyota had the GUTS to do a real recall. I just can't believe BMW can't do the same. we surely pay more than toyota owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #169
qazimodo1
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Just spoke w/BMW and he said the HPFP that they'll be using the HPFP which ends in "933".

Last edited by qazimodo1; 10-28-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #170
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazimodo1 View Post
Just spoke w/BMW and he said the HPFP that they'll be using ends in "401". I'll post the full part number later....
Interesting. I wonder if it'll actually solve the issues.

Forgive my cynicism.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #171
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
This is the complaint I filed with the NHTSA earlier this year:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr..._id=144&type=1
      10-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #172
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Being that they issued a recall, will BMW have to replace the HPFP on a modified car that has already had the warranty voided?

I've been wanting to mod my car but haven't because of fear they would void my warranty when the pump fails.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #173
qazimodo1
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Interesting. I wonder if it'll actually solve the issues.

Forgive my cynicism.
I was mistaken. "401" was what the serial number ended in. "933" is what the HPFP pump part # ends in, which is what they are going to use for better or worse
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #174
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I'm pretty sure if you go in and you have mods (piggyback or any kind of tune where the ECU is touched), they will give you a hard time....If you haven't modded the car yet, then wait this out and see first...
      10-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #175
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazimodo1 View Post
I was mistaken. "401" was what the serial number ended in. "933" is what the HPFP pump part # ends in, which is what they are going to use for better or worse
933 has failed multiple times...
      10-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #176
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iseb View Post
From what I gather through google is that the 943 pump has been in the works from late last year. First post about the new pump being installed I found as far back as January 19th, 2010 so it's not that very new in terms of hardware since it was probably built in 2009. The 943 pump had failed on the guy who had it installed after just 1 month.......so unless we have a newer pump than the 943 it might minimize the failures but it's probably not the "end all" fix we're all waiting for.
How do I find out what fuel pump was installed on my car?

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0