E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Review: Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax

06-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Review: Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax

Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax

Link to product:
Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax

Product description:
Poorboys Natty’s Red Wax is made of the same high grade carnauba as the other Natty’s waxes but it has the added benefit of a wetter gloss and easier application. All Poorboys are easy to use and never finicky, but Natty’s Red is just a little easier. The carnauba spreads more easily and gives the paint a deeper, wetter gloss. Wipe it on, buff it off and stand back to admire the paint’s glistening shine.

Poorboys Natty’s Red Wax is not the chalky carnauba paste wax of 20 years ago. It wipes on in a thin, buttery coat. Apply Natty’s Red in the sun or shade. The results always exceed your expectations.

Speaking of expectations, you wouldn’t expect this kind of shine from a $25 wax. Poorboys Natty’s Red brings out the color of your vehicle and amplifies it under a clear, liquid-looking gloss. The natural protective properties of carnauba are enhanced with added UV absorbers for dependable paint protection.

Poorboys Natty’s Red Wax looks best on a properly prepped surface. If your vehicle has swirls or oxidation, it will show through the wax coat. Carnauba wax can fill very light swirls but anything more should be polished out using Poorboys excellent Super Swirl Removers.

Poorboys Natty’s Red Wax also makes an outstanding topper. Apply your favorite paint sealant and allow it to cure. (Typically, it will set in about an hour and you can apply products on top of it.) Apply Poorboys Natty’s Red Wax over the sealant to get the long-lasting protection of a sealant and the wet gloss of a quality carnauba paste wax.

Price:
-24.99 for an 8oz pot.

Initial impressions:
-Red/pink color
-Smells like strawberry Big League Chew
-No o-ring around lid
-It's a hard paste wax

Preparation:
-Car was washed with Dawn and left to dwell to remove previous LSP's.
-Car was then dried dried and treated with IronX paste to remove iron embedded into clear coat.
-All exterior surfaces were clayed.
-All exterior surfaces were wiped down with 17.5% Isopropyl Alcohol to make a clean surface for the wax to bond to.

Application & removal:
Applying Natty's red could not have been more easy. To start, I went with a quarter turn in the pot with a foam applicator, but found that 1-2 full turns in the pot to prime the pad ended up being the best way to start. After that, a quarter or half turn is more than enough needed to do a whole panel. You can do 2 panels with a quarter turn if you want to be frugal, but the lubricity will die down and you will have to work harder to apply. I found that it spread the best in circular, over-lapping passes. I applied to panel 1, reloaded the applicator then when to panel 2 and applied to that panel too. I then went back to panel 1 to wipe off the residue then when to panel 3, reloaded the applicator and applied the wax, then went back to panel 2 to wipe off the residue. This was the best way to remove the wax. It came off super easy with no effort at all. If you wait any longer than that, you get spots that require a little pressure to remove. The wax actually starts to haze right as you are applying it and seems almost like it can be used as a wipe-on, wipe-off wax. The smell is great and actually fills your garage with the smell.

Durability:
I can't really comment on the durability because there are too many factors involved in this. The car is going to be used for the next week and then is going to sit in the garage un-used until August. I also wash weekly and apply a spray wax after every wash so that slightly extends the durability.

Looks:
I will report back on the gloss and appearance when the sun is actually out. It's been raining since monday morning.

Conclusion:
I am very happy I got this wax. Its really easy to apply and remove. From what I could see from under my swirl light, the it really brought the metallic out. The sun should really tell me if it did whenever it stops raining. I would definitely buy it again and have no regrets that I did in the first place.

Pictures:
Initial amount used for 1 panel.

Goes on thin.

Amount used on the car except for the front bumper and the top of the trunk lid.

A little side note. This wax has a habit of drying up and cracking inside the pot because there is no o-ring to seal the pot up. I double zip lock bag it to prevent the wax from drying out.

Last edited by Otruba_843; 06-19-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Nice review. Looking forwards to the finished shine and looks.
      06-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Since you have an MB car you should try the Natty's blue, one of my favs. I used the original PB Natty's for a while but have been using the blue, it smells like bubble gum as well. One thing is it's not too nice on trim so be careful or you will spend some time cleaning up after yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Since you have an MB car you should try the Natty's blue, one of my favs. I used the original PB Natty's for a while but have been using the blue, it smells like bubble gum as well. One thing is it's not too nice on trim so be careful or you will spend some time cleaning up after yourself.
I got Natty's red because it brings out the metallic flake. For some reason on MB cars, the flake is very hard to see. Natty's blue mutes metallic flake and is better for non-metallic finishes.
      06-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Used this stuff a while back. It is indeed a great wax.
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
MoTastic_2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Man

Good review and for the price is on this cant beat it. I might pick up some to have it available sometime to use on the other cars.

-Mo
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
RD335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Saloon

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
I know it's "classic" but for the life of me, cannot figure out why they still sell wax products anymore. Wax doesn't last, doesn't truly dry, and retains dirt. There are so many modern products today that last, are easy to apply, and dry hard to resist dirt.

I used to swear by wax back in the day, but in 2013, no longer.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD335 View Post
I know it's "classic" but for the life of me, cannot figure out why they still sell wax products anymore. Wax doesn't last, doesn't truly dry, and retains dirt. There are so many modern products today that last, are easy to apply, and dry hard to resist dirt.

I used to swear by wax back in the day, but in 2013, no longer.
I have used many waxes that spread farther and a lot easier than sealants. I don't know where your getting this "wax not drying info". Thats complete B.S. What do you think the wax is doing when it hazes? You must have been using some pretty crappy waxes.
      06-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #9
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Natural Carnauba in a solid form is actually pretty hard. Most wax manufacturers mix in other ingredients (bees wax, paraffin wax, and other types of waxes) with the carnauba to make it more usable. The premium wax manufacturers use more carnauba by volume and the carnauba they use tend to be that of the highest grade.

Majority of the population uses way more product than needed per application. If the wax is spread thin then the curing time as well as the actual removal process is fairly fast and easy. A little goes a long way. A thick coat is just a complete waste since much of the wax will be wipe off at the removal process. The optimum approach is to layer several thin coats of wax.

I am not a wax guy but I do know that waxes are not disappearing anytime soon. They will be around as long as we have painted surfaces that need to be beautify and protected.
      06-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
RD335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
I have used many waxes that spread farther and a lot easier than sealants. I don't know where your getting this "wax not drying info". Thats complete B.S. What do you think the wax is doing when it hazes? You must have been using some pretty crappy waxes.
Wax doesn't last as long as other synthetic products. Presumably because wax is still "soft" after buffing, and subject to wear. This is just an opinion piece anyway - I don't claim a major in chemical engineering - I just observe that (in my opinion) wax is inferior to today's synthetic products.

I used wax in the past, so I know how it works. I'm 47. I was using wax in the early 70's helping my dad wax his 1969 Chevy Caprice.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD335 View Post
Wax doesn't last as long as other synthetic products. Presumably because wax is still "soft" after buffing, and subject to wear. This is just an opinion piece anyway - I don't claim a major in chemical engineering - I just observe that (in my opinion) wax is inferior to today's synthetic products.

I used wax in the past, so I know how it works. I'm 47. I was using wax in the early 70's helping my dad wax his 1969 Chevy Caprice.
When was the last time you used a wax and what was it? The 70's were a long time ago. You don't think technology in waxes today has changed in 40 years?
      06-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

For me personally, I still use and like wax.

My cars are garage kept, almost rarely in the rain, and I like to detail/wax them every couple months.
Combine that with wax giving a deeper shine; for me quality waxes are still worth it nowadays. I use Nattys blue paste wax.

Now on my Daily driver, I use black fire wet diamond, two coats. My DD is always outside, and has to bare, rain, sun all day, winter salt and snow. So sealant being as it protects and lasts longer is my number 1 choice for my DD 2-3 times a year.
      06-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
RD335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
When was the last time you used a wax and what was it? The 70's were a long time ago. You don't think technology in waxes today has changed in 40 years?
I used waxes prior to 2006. IMO they just aren't as durable as today's synthetic products. Sure, maybe wax additives have improved, but carnuba wax is...well...carnuba wax.

I understand you're a die hard wax guy. Great! There's a reason that wax products sell: there are a lot of people that like them. There's something for everyone's preferences, I just don't prefer wax. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Just ordered some nattys red, to replaced my nattys blue, since nattys blue is good for dark colored cars but mutes flakes.

And I did notice I didn't have as much flakes as my other waxes, but the gloss and depth was amazing with blue.

Im hoping red works better on my black sapphire metallic, to give the same wet/gloss look with depth but also make those metallic flakes pop.

Also ordered chemical guys citrus wash to strip off the nattys blue.

BTW, how did the car look in the sun?
      07-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #15
ArchiProf
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i XDrive E92

Garage List
Otruba_843 thanks for the review. Do you have photos in the sun?

5soko, do you have some photos after using the Red?
      07-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiProf View Post
Otruba_843 thanks for the review. Do you have photos in the sun?

5soko, do you have some photos after using the Red?
Sadly I didn't get a chance to get some sun shots. It was raining the whole week and I had to leave for New Jersey for a month without the car. I will probably re-apply it when I get back and will make another thread with sun shots.