E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New 235-40/18 rubbing vents in wheel well

05-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #23
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post

If your rear tires rubbed whenever launching from a standstill, but never rubbed when slamming on the brakes, what factors would you believe contribute to that effect?

*hint* - "assembly flex" is a figment of your imagination
Well, now you brought the rear into the conversation which is irrelevant.

But please Ol' Wise one, share your infinite wisdom as to why the front tires rub on the inner front fenders only in reverse and not during forward motion.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #24
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Hello!! It's because the entire weight of the vehicle is being thrown down and forward; weight transfer. That's what happens when you drive in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #25
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Hello!! It's because the entire weight of the vehicle is being thrown down and forward; weight transfer. That's what happens when you drive in reverse.
I'm not pulling J-Turns, We are talking about "Creeping Speeds" less then 2mph, like backing out of a garage and immediately turning due to short drive way so I doubt any real weight transfer is happening.

Yes, under heavy load or heavy braking there would be weight transfer, tire shape distortion etc but I am talking less than 2mph. That's what make's it perplexing to me.

But there is an Update, a new alignment and some tire wear from driving for 10 days and the rubbing is less severe. I threw on some 5mm spacers and they made it worse on the Drivers side. The Passengers side seems to clear all the time now and the Drivers Side rubs but takes more angle to make it rub and it's still in reverse only.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #26
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot-335is View Post
We are talking about "Creeping Speeds" less then 2mph, like backing out of a garage and immediately turning due to short drive way so I doubt any real weight transfer is happening.
Yes, yes, we know...you're not the only one to experience this phenomena. Welcome to the world of modified vehicles with oversized tires. Doubt it all you want, but the drive angle/weight transfer is happening. The wheel/hub assembly isn't getting any closer to the fender liner; it's the other way around.

My car exhibits the same exact behavior under the same exact conditions. Even though I have taller tires/more aggressive offsets than you do, yours is likely more "severe" given that your car is much lower and has fender liner vents. The cause is obvious; this is nothing new on this platform.
Appreciate 1
feuer4277.00
      05-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #27
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Wait, I thought the whole "why" part was settled and understood already...and we've moved on to "how do I fix it?".
Appreciate 0