E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery AGM or not

10-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #23
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Thanks Fazman, definitely going to set up my INPA and NCSExpert.
Great explanation on VO.
After coding everything including other options, VO should be done, so it does not get reverted back to OEM or stock profile.

DN
Yup... that pretty much sums it up. Usually its best to updatr the VO first and then do the coding. then check to make sure the setting are set properly. Then last step is to register the battery once you are ready to close up and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #24
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
It started with a Battery Discharge error. Also, when the battery starts to go, funky things happen as the car shuts things down to conserve power: bluetooth went out, A/c valves wouldn't open on start up. Also, I really knew when it was starting VERY slowly....it was a matter of days before it was done.

BTW, I thought when I instal;led the new one that I have all sorts of codes, errors and lights....nothing of the sort...ran like it was new.

Just get it registered and you're all good.
Yea I'm getting all sorts of warning lights on my dash, the radio cuts out, heating or A/C will shut off then turn back on. And this will keep happening until I shut it all off, sounds like my battery is going . . . but I haven't gotten any battery discharge warnings which is weird.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #25
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Yea I'm getting all sorts of warning lights on my dash, the radio cuts out, heating or A/C will shut off then turn back on. And this will keep happening until I shut it all off, sounds like my battery is going . . . but I haven't gotten any battery discharge warnings which is weird.
ummm deal with that quick... german cars and funky electrical gremlins are a receipe for long term problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #26
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
If you can program it into your car then there is no drawback as AGM batteries are overall better then acid batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
AGM+1

thats what i did... man the regular lead acid weight a ton..
Misinformation.

Comparing equal size batteries (which is the only fair comparisons):
- Lead acid has more storage capacity
- Lead acid weighs less
- Lead acid costs less

Where is the advantage to AGM in our application?
You need to do some more research on this subject as your info is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #27
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
You need to do some more research on this subject as your info is incorrect.
Perhaps you need to know what the hell you are talking about before calling people out, because I like to back my shit up with proof.

Below are specs from Group 49 batteries. I selected Group 49 as it is the biggest that will fit in a E9x without modification. You will notice I paired up Lead Acid vs AGM batteries for each brand to be as close of a spec comparison as you will get.

Since you probably aren't very observant, I will point some things out for you. When comparing each pair of Group 49 batteries, you will see:
- All of the Lead Acid Batteries have a higher cold cranking amps
- All of the Lead Acid Batteries have a higher reserve capacity
- All of the Lead Acid Batteries weigh less
- All of the Lead Acid Batteries are less expensive

Napa Legend, Lead Acid, CCA 900, 185RC, 56.5lbs, $139
Napa Legend, AGM, 850CCA, 170RC, 58.5lbs, $179

Super Start Extreme, 900CCA, 185RC, 55lbs, $160
Super Start Platinum, AGM, 850CCA, 170RC, no weight given, $175

Duracell Ultra, Lead Acid, 900CCA, No RC given, 54.5lbs, $151
Duracell Ultra, AGM, 850CCA, No RC given, 57.75lbs, $204

Bosch Premium, Lead Acid, 900CCA, 185RC, 49lbs, $180
Bosch Platinum, AGM, 850CCA, 160RC, 52lbs, $220

Hmmm, odd, that backs up EXACTLY what I originally posted. Imagine that.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #28
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
For those folks who do not understand the difference, this can be remedied by going back to Post 11 of this thread and clicking the link. I have made it easier for folks than going back to Post 11...

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._glass_mat_agm
Oh I read it...and notice how all the comments below that article are specifically talking about how it is incorrect. I also agree with those posters. I have plenty of experience with flooded and AGM batteries in abusive situations (boats). I'm actually running two AGM's in my Malibu, no because I think AGM is better, but because my custom battery installation did allow room for a battery box so I needed a sealed battery.

I run an ACR in my Malibu, with one battery running the stereo and the other the rest of the boat. I have a 20amp dual bank on-board charger (setup for AGM and it's a nice charger) and charge it after every outing. Yet I still only get 2-3 years out of the batteries, even with the better than normal care they get (including a maintainer charge from my charger all winter).

I have never seen any advantage in my boats or ATV's for AGM's lasting longer than lead acid. As mentioned in my post above, they weigh more and have less capacity. IMO, unless you need a sealed battery, there is no good reason to go with AGM over a Lead Acid. I can't comment on Gel cells as I've never messed with them and Lithium Ion are way too pricey to play with.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #29
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

let me clarify..

i took out the old bigger capacity lead acid.. it freakin weighed a ton and was a total bitch to get out..

well i went with a slightly smaller AGM in my car e92 with all options...
and its running great... it was lighter and easier to install.. i like it thats my experience...in car... not a boat ... not a plane.

the reason i got a Duralast Platinum is because of its 3 yr... new battery replacement... so if it craps out i get a new one..

its also got some good reviews:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2897005

so your going to comment on your AGM boating experience? which is a total different application then cars?

why you dont you put 2 AGM in your cars like i have and let us know how it goes?

a battery thread is like an oil thread... everyone got the personal preference and experience... no need to be rude to one another...

i read AGM have better cranking power in the cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
Oh I read it...and notice how all the comments below that article are specifically talking about how it is incorrect. I also agree with those posters. I have plenty of experience with flooded and AGM batteries in abusive situations (boats). I'm actually running two AGM's in my Malibu, no because I think AGM is better, but because my custom battery installation did allow room for a battery box so I needed a sealed battery.

I run an ACR in my Malibu, with one battery running the stereo and the other the rest of the boat. I have a 20amp dual bank on-board charger (setup for AGM and it's a nice charger) and charge it after every outing. Yet I still only get 2-3 years out of the batteries, even with the better than normal care they get (including a maintainer charge from my charger all winter).

I have never seen any advantage in my boats or ATV's for AGM's lasting longer than lead acid. As mentioned in my post above, they weigh more and have less capacity. IMO, unless you need a sealed battery, there is no good reason to go with AGM over a Lead Acid. I can't comment on Gel cells as I've never messed with them and Lithium Ion are way too pricey to play with.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 05:44 AM   #30
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
i took out the old bigger capacity lead acid.. it freakin weighed a ton and was a total bitch to get out..

well i went with a slightly smaller AGM in my car e92 with all options...
and its running great... it was lighter and easier to install.. i like it thats my experience...in car... not a boat ... not a plane.

the reason i got a Duralast Platinum is because of its 3 yr... new battery replacement... so if it craps out i get a new one..

so your going to comment on your AGM boating experience? which is a total different application then cars?

why you dont you put 2 AGM in your cars like i have and let us know how it goes?

i read AGM have better cranking power in the cold?
I've ran an AGM in a car before as well...but that's not as abusive of a setup as a boat/ATV, which is why I used those examples. I wasn't impressed at all with the life of the AGM I ran and went back with Lead Acid.

As for your example, you could have put a smaller lead acid battery in as well. It would have been even lighter and had more output. As for AGM, a lead acid battery has more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)...that should answer your question.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #31
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

I had an NB Miata. Those came from factory with Panasonic AGM batteries. Lasted 10 years for me and could last even longer. Many users reported 10 years or more usage. And this is with a car usually not driven daily and stored for winter, which means battery seeing more deeper discharges. It could be the quality of the Panasonic but I bet it had something to do with it being AGM also.

News and reports I found say BMW has chosen AGM on its cars that has stop-auto start and intelligent alternator control features, due to battery being discharged more often and AGM being more robust in that.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #32
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
I've ran an AGM in a car before as well...but that's not as abusive of a setup as a boat/ATV, which is why I used those examples. I wasn't impressed at all with the life of the AGM I ran and went back with Lead Acid.

As for your example, you could have put a smaller lead acid battery in as well. It would have been even lighter and had more output. As for AGM, a lead acid battery has more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)...that should answer your question.
Well after looking at batteries more it's seems you have to look at specific models not just the brands to see which ones are really good.

Hopefully tesla starts making some new batteries that we can stick in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #33
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
I had an NB Miata. Those came from factory with Panasonic AGM batteries. Lasted 10 years for me and could last even longer. Many users reported 10 years or more usage. And this is with a car usually not driven daily and stored for winter, which means battery seeing more deeper discharges. It could be the quality of the Panasonic but I bet it had something to do with it being AGM also.

News and reports I found say BMW has chosen AGM on its cars that has stop-auto start and intelligent alternator control features, due to battery being discharged more often and AGM being more robust in that.
Where can u get panisonic batteries in the US?
Good reviews on those.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #34
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

I don't know if you can. The Miata's were shipped with those batteries from Japan. Even US Mazda dealers didn't stock them anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #35
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
I don't know if you can. The Miata's were shipped with those batteries from Japan. Even US Mazda dealers didn't stock them anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ry%2Caps%2C206
      10-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #36
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Sorry, not Panasonic though.
      01-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #37
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Old thread revival... Figured I would give an update on my car and the AGM battery.

I am almost at 190k miles and my voltage in the hidden menu still shows about 12.2v

I believe the AAP H8 AGM battery went in around Nov 2014 at just under 100k miles. I’ll provide another update if I still have this car in Nov 2021 at the 7 year anniversary.

I suspect by then people would be talking about LiFePo4 battery installs?

Below is what INPA shows about my battery today:
Attached Images

Last edited by fazman; 01-05-2020 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #38
Cuda021312
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I Sport

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for asking this, but it appears that there's so many conflicting reports. I need to replace the battery on my wife's '08 non idrive 335i that currently has a Bosch S3 lead acid battery. Can I get a brand new generic replacement battery without having to reprogram it or do you have to go with an oem battery to avoid reprogramming it? Again, this is a non idrive 335i. Thank you greatly in advance for the help, input and advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #39
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

it must be registered to tell the car you've installed a new battery.

it will need coding if it is not the same AH capacity as the original.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #40
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda021312 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My apologies for asking this, but it appears that there's so many conflicting reports. I need to replace the battery on my wife's '08 non idrive 335i that currently has a Bosch S3 lead acid battery. Can I get a brand new generic replacement battery without having to reprogram it or do you have to go with an oem battery to avoid reprogramming it? Again, this is a non idrive 335i. Thank you greatly in advance for the help, input and advice!
There is 2 types of "coding", programming and registering.

If you can the exact same battery type and specs, you will only need to register it as a new battery.

If you change the specs or the type, you will have to program and register.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #41
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Buy the AGM and code it using Carly. I've done it before with Carly. No issues. I bought the AGM battery that Autozone sells for our cars.

In the future, you are way better off with Bimmergeeks app & cable.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #42
tomasp001
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I just replaced my battery 1 month ago (when I bought my used 335i) and was stuck with the same issue about which battery to buy. Showing the same symptoms of some comfort features starting to be turned off. So here are the results of my research and what I did.

I went from Lead acid to AGM. The old owner of my vehicle has never changed the battery (est. 2008). I bought the Oddysey 49-950 (https://odysseybattery.ca/product/49-950/) as it was near the "AH" as the original battery (stock batt: 90 AH Odyssey Batt: 95 AH). Used that link to purchase the battery. I think they are located in Ontario so it voided any custom fees I had to pay. Total cost with shipping was around ($400 CAD).

As for the coding. I have researched about methods to code and register the new battery. Came across Carly, because it was easy and convenient. Then I stumbled upon a video that said to never use carly as it doesn't properly change the values in your car. Then I stumbled upon a video that shows how to properly code the change from Lead Acid and AGM and Code it the correct AH capacity using INPA and NCSexpert. So I set up INPA and NCSexpert and did it that way.

Car has been with the new battery for about a month now with no issues.

(PS: if you want the link to the videos that I used that helped me code and install the new batt, or the video that proves that carly doesnt code the car properly just shoot me a DM)

Last edited by tomasp001; 02-18-2020 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #43
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasp001 View Post
I just replaced my battery 1 month ago (when I bought my used 335i) and was stuck with the same issue about which battery to buy. Showing the same symptoms of some comfort features starting to be turned off. So here are the results of my research and what I did.

I went from Lead acid to AGM. The old owner of my vehicle has never changed the battery (est. 2008). I bought the Oddysey 49-950 (https://odysseybattery.ca/product/49-950/) as it was near the "AH" as the original battery (stock batt: 90 AH Odyssey Batt: 95 AH). Used that link to purchase the battery. I think they are located in Ontario so it voided any custom fees I had to pay. Total cost with shipping was around ($400 CAD).

As for the coding. I have researched about methods to code and register the new battery. Came across Carly, because it was easy and convenient. Then I stumbled upon a video that said to never use carly as it doesn't properly change the values in your car. Then I stumbled upon a video that shows how to properly code the change from Lead Acid and AGM and Code it the correct AH capacity using INPA and NCSexpert. So I set up INPA and NCSexpert and did it that way.

Car has been with the new battery for about a month now with no issues.

(PS: if you want the link to the videos that I used that helped me code and install the new batt, or the video that proves that carly doesnt code the car properly just shoot me a DM)
Posting a link to the video showing that Carly doesn't code the battery properly would be very interesting to quite a few people. (No personal interest as I use INPA & NCSExpert as well).
      04-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #44
kegwalker
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335ix (n55) 6mt

I on the other hand would be interested in the INPA and NCS videos. I'll shoot you a PM
Appreciate 0