E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Sport Package/Run-Flat tire problem

05-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #23
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio
Another note about the Bridgestone Run-Flats...

After contacting Tire Rack wholesale and various other wholesalers, the manager told me that he could probably get an Emergency Release. He explained that there is a small supply of tires that manufacturers keep in case there is some sort of emergency need.

Apparently that supply has already been exhausted. There are absolutely no tires available until a new production run is made. The only tires available are at whatever shops and service centers still have left. I'm sure they can be found, but no one down here has them.
Mauricio,
I see that on the website for Michelin.ca (Canadian site) that they have listed Pilot Sport PS2 zero-pressure tires in the right sizes for 330i sport. If you are unable to get the crappy Bridgestones in the USA, consider Michelins via Canada as an alternative or abandon the RFTs. These Michelins have a treadwear rating of 220 v's 140 for the Bridgestones.
      05-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #24
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
If the tire shop is run flat certified, they should have known what to do.

Also, you can only repair the tires if you havenīt driven on them with no air in them. If you drove on them when they had no air, they cannot be repaired
and a certified RF shop can determine this.
Already had 2 flat tires and drive on it until I had them both plugged. No problems what so ever. Why would you not be able to get them fix with no air? Isn't that the whole idea to drive on them until you can get them fix?
      05-25-2006, 04:56 PM   #25
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio
Update:

I went back to my local shop this morning and met with the main manager...and after examining the tire with the bulge (which had grown to be about 1/3 the circumference of the tire) he came to the conclusion that the damage was done by them. He gave me two options:

1. They will have my wheels refinished...all 4 of them the guy said, so that the paint color will match, and he would pro-rate my tires (which are almost down to the tread marker)
Cost to me: roughly $500 when the wheels become available

2. They will replace my two rear tires with new Bridgestone Run-flats. My rims stay chipped but at least it's the original factory finish and not some guy painting them and clearcoating them. But I have to live with the chips in the wheels.
Cost to me: Zero

I think I'm going to go with the new tires and live with the chips.

In the meantime, they mounted a matching size non-runflat Nitto so I can drive around until the new tires come in...no telling when.

I guess I'm pretty satisfied but I have to deal with chipped 162's. And this tire backorder thing is ridiculous but hopefully they'll fix it soon.

What do you guys think?
I'm going to avoid the whole RF issue and get non RF tires. The treadwear sucks and the worst of any brand of RF and the treadlife is too short. I'm going to get the Goodyear F1s to replace the Bridgestones and deal with flats as they come! Good Luck!
      05-25-2006, 05:21 PM   #26
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I'm sorry to hear your story man, but I have two points to make:

1) If you think you're very unlucky, I've got you beat. Although I have not yet had a single flat tire, I have replaced 6 tires and 6 wheels!!! In the first incident I hit road construction on the freeway where they had left a sharp edge between a scraped and an unscraped part of the pavement (without any warning signs). Hit it at 45 mph and bent all my wheels and bulged the 4 tires!! Adding insult to injury, my tire and wheel road hazard insurance company said they won't pay for it because it is considered a collision since it damaged all wheels and tires. I had to go through my regular insurance company and pay the deductable AND my insurance rate went up. I am now awaiting for a state hearing to appeal the new charge and hopefully have it reversed by proving that it wasn't my fault (Massachusetts insurance rates are determined by the state).

Then last winter I hit a $#@!! pothole that damaged both wheels and tires on one side (again, bulges but not flats). These were my winter tires (also RFTs) so those wheels and tires were NOT covered by the original road hazard policy.

So, you and I should start our own victim support group

2) There is a big push for RFT and other new technologies for safety concerns. So we are likely to see more, not less, cars with RFT in the future.
      05-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #27
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

welcome to the pain of being an early adopter of new technologies
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #28
rednats
Rednats
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport

Ultimate "Driving" Machine.

330i Sport Package - Last night my Flat Tire indicator light came on but I did not discern much of any pressure loss. This morning I brought the car to a tire dealer who found a small screw and repaired the tire. But the Flat indicator would not go off, even after trying initialization. I went to my local BMW garage and they said oh you can't repair them, you must relaced them. I called my dealer and 2 different service people told me 2 different things....one said repair was ok, the other said no...must be replaced....but they didn't have any tires. So I drove to work (close by) and after inspecting the tire, found another small nail in the side wall. No wonder the indicator light stayed on. OK, so I called Tire Rack and got the same news, no back tires...back ordered for several weeks. The rep told me to call Bridgestone and rip...and I did and got the story that they have an emergency stock pile and will call me within 24 hours.

How can BMWNA allow this kind of shortfall of supply of an item they require replaced and refitted...so big deal, you can ride a bit on them with a puncture, but if there is no supply what are we suppose to do...rent a car until tires become available? Forget this BS on replacing the RF every time you run over a nail. I am going to get some real tires with better handling and wing it having AAA....and deal with being sensative to the indicator light and know under normal circumstances they can be fixxed and run normally.

This is clearly a case of technology getting in the way of practicality....and maybe some of the problem with these new BMWs is that they are way to carried away with premature technology advances ( I Drive, RFs) and are loosing site that they are the Ultimate "DRIVING" machine....

when will I be driving my poor car again?: cry:
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #29
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Nightmare. I hope Michelin takes advantage of this opportunity. High performance Bridgestones are nice, but not practical, the wear factor is absurd for a $250 tire. Not sure what business deal was cut, but these kinds of problems are really going to hurt BMW NA. Some heads ought to roll on this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 10:29 AM   #30
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Any of our Canadian friends have advice on which mailorder tire stores are best for getting Michelin PS2s?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #31
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I get my new 330 next week.

After all this RFT talk, which I've been reading here for months and in the 5 series fora, I've decided that I will probably take all four new tires off the car, store them for the duration of my 36 month lease, and buy five regular Michelin tires. I am going to buy a plain wheel for the trunk spare and will have a black cover made and put the tire in the trunk. I don't use the trunk for anything and it's big enough to put the spare in the back of the trunk. I'll secure it will bungy ties.

Lastly, I know I sound like a lawyer, which I am, but if BMW doesn't correct this problem very quickly, it is only a matter of time 'til a Class Action lawsuit is filed against them. Clearly, despite all the talk of this being the new technology, BMW's thinking is clearly flawed at this time and the lack of available RFT stock opens them up to series legal liability. BMW is pushing the envelope on tire technology, but by doing so, is sticking the consumer with both the expense in time AND money in dealing with these tires.

Since I can buy REAL tires (all 5) and the extra wheel for the same $700 they want to charge me for tire/wheel insurance, I feel this is a much better purchase.

That's one person's opinion.

L
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #32
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I like Larry's logic, although it may cost him a ton when he tries to return his lease in 3 years with (the original) tires that no one wants then...

Are there any threads on spare tire solutions? We have discussed the various fix-it kits, but what about how to store a spare in the trunk? Any space for a space saver?

And likewise, I have not seen any threads comparing performance of the Bridgestones vs. Michelin PS2s.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #33
marie-louise
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryK1000
I get my new 330 next week.

After all this RFT talk, which I've been reading here for months and in the 5 series fora, I've decided that I will probably take all four new tires off the car, store them for the duration of my 36 month lease, and buy five regular Michelin tires. I am going to buy a plain wheel for the trunk spare and will have a black cover made and put the tire in the trunk. I don't use the trunk for anything and it's big enough to put the spare in the back of the trunk. I'll secure it will bungy ties.

Lastly, I know I sound like a lawyer, which I am, but if BMW doesn't correct this problem very quickly, it is only a matter of time 'til a Class Action lawsuit is filed against them. Clearly, despite all the talk of this being the new technology, BMW's thinking is clearly flawed at this time and the lack of available RFT stock opens them up to series legal liability. BMW is pushing the envelope on tire technology, but by doing so, is sticking the consumer with both the expense in time AND money in dealing with these tires.

Since I can buy REAL tires (all 5) and the extra wheel for the same $700 they want to charge me for tire/wheel insurance, I feel this is a much better purchase.

That's one person's opinion.

L
I have a 325i w/ a Sports Package on order. (Hopefully, it is about to get on a boat.) Is there a tire shortage problem for my car, or just the 330i?

I have really been looking forward to getting this car. I had a BMW before, and my DH is currently driving his third one. But I am concerned enough about the problems w/ these run flat tires to consider cancelling my order. I live in the Bay Area-between the potholes & all the road construction, I hit something that would blow out this tire on a daily basis. And I need my car to get to work.

Opinions? What are my options-can I get the dealer to put different tires on my car (I'm buying, not leasing.) Thanks!

Ordered 5/3; picked up at SF Bay Area dealer 6/28 (55 days)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #34
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
I like Larry's logic, although it may cost him a ton when he tries to return his lease in 3 years with (the original) tires that no one wants then...

Are there any threads on spare tire solutions? We have discussed the various fix-it kits, but what about how to store a spare in the trunk? Any space for a space saver?

And likewise, I have not seen any threads comparing performance of the Bridgestones vs. Michelin PS2s.
I believe I saw one in Car and Driver. There is a member selling a set of 4 for just over $600 with shipping. I think there is less than a 1000 miles on them. Check out the for sale forum. Great deal for anyone looking for that brand of tires. Any RF would be better than the Bridgestones. Check the forum and search since I recall a post about purchasing a space saver spare.
      05-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #35
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie-louise
I am concerned enough about the problems w/ these run flat tires to consider cancelling my order. I live in the Bay Area-between the potholes & all the road construction, I hit something that would blow out this tire on a daily basis. And I need my car to get to work.
No kidding. As someone who is in the market for a 330i, I wonder, is it really as bad as it sounds here on the forums? I have seen more than one thread where someone complains about blowing out multiple tires just from hitting potholes. It gets me concerned, too.

I live in DC, where we have horrible roads, and at least once a week I absolutely NAIL a pothole or break in the asphalt. I once bent a (non-RFT, non-low profile) rim on a Jetta about 7 years ago that was fixable. Knock on wood, my Civic has been handling it just fine for six years now on its little 15" tires. Will the 18" ZSP tires on a 330i be that much more fragile? Are other forum members having no problems? The 330i would be my commuter car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #36
mechanicallion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 330i

BK,

I drive DC almost everyday and haven't had any problems. I'm definitely more cautious though and try to avoid even running over the man hole covers if possible. Look into the Tire/Wheel insurance when you pick up your car, I got it just in case, and hopefully won't have to use it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #37
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
All I can say is after reading some of these nightmare stories I'm glad I purchased the tire / wheel insurance for $499.00. I haven't had any problems so far but it's nice to know I'm covered for 5 years for any damage or replacement of tires or wheels. I'm really feeling like that was money well spent.
      05-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #38
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Getting a new spare rims is not going to solve the problem since both front & rear offset is not the same, do you plan to carry two spare rims with the car at all time ?

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #39
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
All I can say is after reading some of these nightmare stories I'm glad I purchased the tire / wheel insurance for $499.00. I haven't had any problems so far but it's nice to know I'm covered for 5 years for any damage or replacement of tires or wheels. I'm really feeling like that was money well spent.
Piece of mind is priceless!
      05-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #40
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Nightmare. I hope Michelin takes advantage of this opportunity. High performance Bridgestones are nice, but not practical, the wear factor is absurd for a $250 tire. Not sure what business deal was cut, but these kinds of problems are really going to hurt BMW NA. Some heads ought to roll on this one.

for lots of us wear factor isn't a big deal, lack of grip is!

there's plenty of people here who'd gladly pay MORE for less tread life (if it meant more grip)

cheap tires are usually the ones that last so long, you pay more and you usually get more grip and less treadlife
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 05:52 PM   #41
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
for lots of us wear factor isn't a big deal, lack of grip is!

there's plenty of people here who'd gladly pay MORE for less tread life (if it meant more grip)

cheap tires are usually the ones that last so long, you pay more and you usually get more grip and less treadlife
Cheaper tires with better treadlife do exist. They have excellent grip as well.
      05-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #42
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Cheaper tires with better treadlife do exist. They have excellent grip as well.

of course cheaper tires with better treadlife exist. People looking for "cheap" tires want long treadlife so cheap tires tend to be more of the long life variety rather than the grippy variety.

I hate to break it to anyone, but if you go get some tire with a treadwear number of 300 or higher, it's going to corner like crap compared to the bridgestones with 140 treadwear. The grip levels on the bridgestones isn't that bad, it's the pirellis that are terrible (220 treadwear).

anyone who thinks you can get a tire that will last 40,000 miles and handle just as well as the stock RE50's is dead wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #43
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
of course cheaper tires with better treadlife exist. People looking for "cheap" tires want long treadlife so cheap tires tend to be more of the long life variety rather than the grippy variety.

I hate to break it to anyone, but if you go get some tire with a treadwear number of 300 or higher, it's going to corner like crap compared to the bridgestones with 140 treadwear. The grip levels on the bridgestones isn't that bad, it's the pirellis that are terrible (220 treadwear).

anyone who thinks you can get a tire that will last 40,000 miles and handle just as well as the stock RE50's is dead wrong.
How many people will actually need that type of grip? I don't think that there are many people taking the Bimmer to the extremes that it may be capable of. Depending on where people live, the RF are not even used because of the weather. You would think with current technology they would be able to make a tire last a little longer than what 20 or so thousand miled or even less. Price is not the issue.
      05-31-2006, 07:20 PM   #44
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I expected a lot when I switched from the stock Dunlops on my E46 to Bridgestone S-03s. I was disappointed. Lap times same, wear and noise much worse. The Michelin PS-2s have a fairly good rep; my guess is they will be a better tire than the Bridgestones. Cannot get anyone with data to verify this hunch though.
Appreciate 0