E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > How should I negotiate my trade in?

06-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

How should I negotiate my trade in?

I'm on my dealers allocation list to receive one of the first 2008 335i's and planning on doing a trade in this time around. Of course production on 2008 models doesn't start till September and delivery should take some time in Oct/Nov. This of course is quite sometime away and I don't want to give up my current BMW (a 2003) till closer to delivery.

So I ask you....

- When should I do the trade, once the far arrives at the dealer or a month before pickup?

- Should I negotiate a loose value on the 2003 via phone, or just bring it at time of sale to see what they offer?

- Dealers always try to under cut the book value, or find a reason to give you less on trade in, any tips for negotiation?

- Is there anything I should be doing prior to sale to assure I get the best deal and or avoid headaches?

Any advice is welcome, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
If you have that much time before you get your car. I suggest that you sell it off privately. You will get a lot more money for your car than what the dealer will give you.

Just my $.02.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

first thing you should do is try to sell privately. I know this can be a hassle, but you will get the most money that way... if you are set on trading it in to the dealer, take it to him have it appraised and then you should be able to lock in a book value for 30 days. So I would say the day your car gets on a vessel, call the dealer and lock in the trade price on your current car. then simply drop off the old and pick up the new.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
first thing you should do is try to sell privately. I know this can be a hassle, but you will get the most money that way... if you are set on trading it in to the dealer, take it to him have it appraised and then you should be able to lock in a book value for 30 days. So I would say the day your car gets on a vessel, call the dealer and lock in the trade price on your current car. then simply drop off the old and pick up the new.
Good idea. One thing to note is that I'm switching dealerships, which is in another province (6 hours away). If I'm going to bring the car in for appraisal I might as well leave it there.

The reason why I was so adamant on a trade in was that I'd save close to $5000 in taxes. So the loss in value I get on a low trade in is made up in tax savings.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Harb850
Rep
Drives: 540i

Another alternative is selling your car to Carmax. I took my used car to them and within 45 min had an offer that was hirer than the dealer’s. I ended up selling the car privately through our employee bulletin board…lots more money and not too much hassle.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
clc5174
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
If you have that much time before you get your car. I suggest that you sell it off privately. You will get a lot more money for your car than what the dealer will give you.

Just my $.02.
+1 I listed my car on craigslist once I got confirmation that my E93 was on the ship. It sold in four days for a little under what I asked for it, which I'm sure was significantly more than the dealer would have given me in trade. Unfortunately since it sold so quickly I ended up in a rental car for three weeks until I took delivery. All in all everything worked out.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
ddark
Rep
Drives: 325Ci

Sounds like everyone has had a positive experience selling their cars privately. There's a 2-3 month gap between my current lease end (Owner's Choice in TX) and when a dealer can get the 335 car in. I am looking to buy out my lease and then reselling/trade in the car when the new car arrives. I've never sold a car before, so I'm unsure of the procedures.

Were the buyers always been able to give you a cashier's check for the full amount? I suppose once the check is cleared, you give the keys to the buyer and have your bank mail the title to the new owner and he'll go change the plates etc.?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 02:35 AM   #8
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
you really have to be dedicated to sell your car privately or it can end up sitting in your garage for months and your significant other will be yelling at you why you just didn't trade it in when you had a chance....not that it happened to me or anything

sometimes the convenience of not having to deal with a private sale is priceless.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
ddark
Rep
Drives: 325Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko View Post
you really have to be dedicated to sell your car privately or it can end up sitting in your garage for months and your significant other will be yelling at you why you just didn't trade it in when you had a chance....not that it happened to me or anything

sometimes the convenience of not having to deal with a private sale is priceless.
I don't have the significant other to deal with, but I'm not sure how the experience is with selling a BMW. Does the 2nd owner have an opportunity to get the car CPO'd ?

Last edited by ddark; 06-03-2007 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0